Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sesame 3 (Read 59074 times)
Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Sesame 3
Jul 6th, 2011 at 1:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
I know some of you aren't on Facebook, so I figured I'd post the Sesame 3 info here as well.  I'm just going to start going through our change log and sharing some of this stuff with you in no particular order. Feel free to comment. Smiley

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame 3 - Client/Server
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 1:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Those of you running client-server will like that we updated things so that if a client is disconnected due to things like a network hiccup or timeout, it will try to reconnect, rather than you having to close the client and reopen it.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame 3 - Form Thumbnails
Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 1:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
One of the new features in Sesame 3 is Form Thumbnails. When you open a database, in addition to being able to select a form by name from the Button Menu, you will also be able to select a form visually by clicking on its thumbnail image. You can also select a form thumbnail to appear as the application icon in various dialog boxes. You can control whether the form thumbnails appear or not. You can also set them to appear only for top-level forms.

S3_form_thumbnails.png (Attachment deleted)

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame 3 - New XResultSet Commands
Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 1:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
For those of you who program your applications with SBasic: If you are using the XResultSet family (and if you're not, you should be), Sesame 3 adds several super-useful new commands to that family.

@XResultSetNew(filename as string, record_definition as string) as int - Creates a new empty result set.

@XResultSetUnion(one_id, two_id) as int - Merges two result sets into a new destination result set, sans duplicates.

@XResultSetDifference(one_id, two_id) as int - Finds the difference between two result sets (all of the records in one_id that do not also appear in two_id).

@XResultSetCompare(one_id, two_id) as int - Finds the same records between two result sets (all of the records in one_id that do also appear in two_id).

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame 3 - Close Button
Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 1:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 includes a context-sensitive Close button that acts much like pressing Escape in Q&A. From a record, the Close button closes your tab. From the Application Menu, the Close button closes your application. If no application is open, the Close button closes Sesame itself.

S3_close_button.png (Attachment deleted)

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Sesame 3
Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 2:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
What happened to "Save" button?  I use that when I want to save the record without advancing to new record!  It also ran the On Exit event programming. Sometime I needed to run the On Exit event programming before I printed out certain forms using command buttons on the form. I guess I will have to use "Save" command button on the form itself.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 3:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Jul 6th, 2011 at 2:56pm:
What happened to "Save" button?  I use that when I want to save the record without advancing to new record!  It also ran the On Exit event programming. Sometime I needed to run the On Exit event programming before I printed out certain forms using command buttons on the form. I guess I will have to use "Save" command button on the form itself.

The Save button you're talking about isn't for that. It is much more aggressive than that as it forces a full save of the entire database. People often ended up hiding that button because someone on a large database in a multiuser environment would keep clicking it and forcing everyone on the system to wait while the entire database wrote itself out to the hard drive. To do what you are describing, just click the Save Record button on the Button Menu.

If you need to make sure a particular bit of code runs in more than one place, put it in a subroutine in Global Code and call that subroutine from your command buttons and also from On Element Exit (if need be).

- Hammer
IP Logged

Amor
Members

No personal text

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 11:52am
Print Post Print Post  
Does Sesame 3 generate local export files?

Dr. med. Amor Belhareth&&Medizin Labor &&Germany

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 12:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Does Sesame 3 generate local export files?

Export is still a server-side operation. However, Sesame 3 does have a new SBasic command called TransferFileToClient(serverFilename as string, clientFilename as string) that transfers a file from the server to the client.

Edited:
BTW, there is also a new button on the Button Menu that does the same thing.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2011 at 3:34pm by Hammer »  

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame 3 - Quick Search
Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 12:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 – Quick Search
Simple Search (which provides a weighted search-engine style search that looks in all your fields and returns the matching records in order of relevance) was so popular in Sesame 2 that we decided to put it right out on top. In Sesame 3, Quick Search is available in Add, Search and Update modes. It even lets you choose between getting a new result set and searching within the current records.

S3_quick_search.png (Attachment deleted)

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 2:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is really great. Since most of us like to hide the tree, having it in the open is definitely more usable. Thanks.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 3:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Jul 7th, 2011 at 2:34pm:
This is really great. Since most of us like to hide the tree, having it in the open is definitely more usable. Thanks.

Then you'll like that, about five minutes ago, Cow finished implementing a feature that optionally puts everything on the Tree/Button Menu onto a Commands menu up on the menu bar.  So, if you want, you can hide the command area to save screen real estate without taking away all the functionality it provides.

S3_command_menu.png (Attachment deleted)

- Hammer
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #12 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 2:55am
Print Post Print Post  
the new XResultSet commands will 'rock the house'!

Larry
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame 3 - INI File Editor
Reply #13 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 3:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame uses an ini file to control a whole slew of options. In Sesame 3, the Server Admin Window includes a place where you can edit these options from inside Sesame.

S3_ini_editor.png (Attachment deleted)

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame 3 - Reports
Reply #14 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 3:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark is sitting next to me right now implementing a command that allows a Sesame 3 report to hook directly to an ASCII file. So you can run reports against a hierarchical or custom export from Sesame. Or from a different package entirely. Or from a file that your customer emailed you. Or that you got off the internet. Etc. In case you can’t tell, I’m really excited about this!

- Hammer
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #15 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:57am
Print Post Print Post  
Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Sesame 3 - Scanned Form = Database
Reply #16 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 9:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've been posting new features regularly on Facebook, but this one is so cool I wanted make sure everybody here saw it.

Development has written one of the best features ever for Sesame 3. You can take a paper form, use a highlighter to mark where the fields go, and scan it. Point Sesame 3 at the scanned image and it will build a database with fields in the positions you specified and the original form as the background image. You can just fill out the fields and click Print Form.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #17 - Aug 29th, 2011 at 9:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
That will be extremely useful feature. I have been currently using Physical Exam form that has been used as background image and fields are marked on it. On Opening the form the fields are filled out from the existing data from the database and I have to just print out the form most of the time. It does give me chance to change the data if I have to.

This is just round-about way. I am sure the new feature will be a direct way and a lot easier to implement. I also have quite a few pdf forms that I have to automatically fill out with data from the database and then print them out or fax as needed. Thanks for the great new feature.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #18 - Aug 30th, 2011 at 2:09am
Print Post Print Post  
Creating a database from a scanned piece of paper!?! WOW! That is incredible.

You all are very creative!

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #19 - Aug 31st, 2011 at 2:34am
Print Post Print Post  
Wow, that does sound cool!

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: Sesame 3 - Hashing?
Reply #20 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 11:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Will Sesame 3 include built-in functions to generate standard hashes such as MD5?

IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: Sesame 3 - Encryption?
Reply #21 - Sep 7th, 2011 at 11:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Will Sesame 3 include any built-in encryption capability?

You could probably avoid any export restrictions by offering encryption activation as a separate product or functionality, i.e., the basic version has the necessary code but without a separately-issued activation key the encryption functions simply pass the function argument through unchanged or apply an unrestricted encryption level.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Sesame 3 - Encryption?
Reply #22 - Sep 8th, 2011 at 1:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Rick_R wrote on Sep 7th, 2011 at 11:29pm:
Will Sesame 3 include any built-in encryption capability?

You could probably avoid any export restrictions by offering encryption activation as a separate product or functionality, i.e., the basic version has the necessary code but without a separately-issued activation key the encryption functions simply pass the function argument through unchanged or apply an unrestricted encryption level.

Simple inclusion of any decent encryption code, the code itself, even if never invoked, without an export license for encryption is said to be a problem. We have included the XOR function in SBasic, making it trivial for the end-user to whip up a nearly unbreakable code.

Should there be enough demand for encryption, we may try to talk the boss into applying to the export license.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Sesame 3 - Rollup from Facebook Posts
Reply #23 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 2:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Since a bunch of you are not on Facebook, I'll try to post in both places. As always, your comments and questions are welcome. Here's a rollup:

Sesame 3 – 64 bit
Sesame 2 (a 32 bit program) will run fine on your 64 bit operating system, but it can’t take full advantage of a 64 bit system. Sesame 3 will be released in both 32 and 64 bit versions so those of you with large applications can use all the resources available to a 64 bit OS.

Sesame 3 – Notify Flags
Notify Flags let you notify Sesame via SBasic about what actions a user may or may not perform while using a particular Form. Sesame 3 adds a set of new Notify Flags that control Search, which Specs are available, printing, running Reports, macros, opening and closing apps, etc. There is also a new GlobalNotify command which sets the default Notify Flags for all your Forms at once.

Sesame 3 - Breaking News
Development just finished adding an auto-complete feature to the SBasic Programming Editor. As you type, the Editor will attempt to auto complete for you from the list of your element names and the built-in SBasic command names.

Sesame 3 - Breaking News
As of a few minutes ago, Sesame 3 now has the ability to dynamically add elements to your forms in runtime from SBasic. You can even attach programming to these elements! This opens up all kinds of possibilities for things like offering different choices to a user or gathering different information from a user based on what they selected in another element.

Sesame 3 – Server to Client File Transfer
Sesame 3 includes a new SBasic command that lets you transfer a file from the server to the client machine. Those of you who do exports or have merge documents that you want to copy to the client machine will find this command very handy. Note to admins: Yes, there is an INI file entry you can use to prevent this.

Sesame 3 –Table of Contents
Sesame 3 has a really handy Table of Contents feature. This brings up a sorted, scrollable list of selected values in your retrieved records. When you click a record in the list, it takes you directly to that record.

Sesame 3 – Breaking News
Development just implemented an amazing new search feature. If you enter a filename or URL in a field, when you search that field using the Retrieve Spec, Sesame will search the contents of the specified file or URL to see if that record matches your search criteria. I saw a demo of this a few minutes ago and my mind just exploded with the possibilities!

Sesame 3 - Binary FTP
Sesame 3 expands the FTP family of SBasic commands to include commands that can transfer files in binary mode. Now, those of you who want to FTP binary files like images and PDFs can do so from SBasic.

Sesame 3 - Multimedia Capabilities
Sesame 3 includes the ability to read barcodes, record video and take snapshots from a webcam, record audio, play video files and more. With these capabilities, Sesame can be your point of sale system, video chat provider, security monitor, etc.

Sesame 3 - Barcodes
So, I was working with the new webcam functions today. I built a little application that has my webcam watch for barcodes. When it sees one, it uses SearchUPC.com to search the internet and find how much the item costs on various websites. It then displays that list in one of the new multi-column list boxes.

Sesame 3 - Dynamic Tables
Working with Sesame 3’s new dynamic table functions today. These let you draw a table on your form and populate it with information dynamically without needing to have subrecords. I love what I was able to make it do!

For example, working with Customers, I selected an Interest from a popup list and populated a dynamic table with matching Customers. I then marked a few of the records in the table and clicked another button which opened the Customers form with only those records.

These new functions are very useful for more information display and processing tasks than I can possibly list.

Sesame 3 - Dynamic Elements
Experimenting with Sesame 3’s ability to dynamically put elements on forms today. I wrote a routine that lets you select a doctor from a list of names. It then puts a button on the form for each appointment slot that doctor has available. Click the button and it schedules that appointment. Then all the buttons go away. I’ve wanted this in Sesame for quite awhile and now it works just the way I always wanted!

Sesame 3 - Webcam
Writing examples for some more of the new Sesame 3 multimedia commands today. With a $6.00 webcam and three lines of SBasic code, I turned Sesame into a security system that monitors our office door and saves a snapshot each time it detects motion. No sneaking into or out of the office around here!

Sesame 3 - Image Tagging
If you have an Image field in your application, Sesame 3 provides the tools to add a variety of custom tags to the image. You can mark up a print, tag where an item is stored in your warehouse, add instructions, etc. The tags are stored, so they appear whenever you view the record. They tags can also be searched.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #24 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 8:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Wow!!! Can't wait to have my hands on Sesame 3. I see endless possibilities with new features.

IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #25 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 2:22am
Print Post Print Post  
Agreed.  My head, too, was dancing with a couple of ideas inspired by the description of new features.

Larry
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #26 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 3:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 - Adding Elements to Forms
In Sesame 3, you can add an element to your form by right-clicking and typing a label/name. This respects the settings in the Layout Element Adder, so it's a quick way to, for example, quickly add a bunch of date or number fields/elements.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #27 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 3:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
I believe it is for temporary use and does not change anything in the designer file. When one reconcile again, do these changes go away?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #28 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 4:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Sep 13th, 2011 at 3:41pm:
I believe it is for temporary use and does not change anything in the designer file. When one reconcile again, do these changes go away?

I don't understand your question, Bharat. Clarify, please?

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #29 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 4:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Sesame 3 - Breaking News
As of a few minutes ago, Sesame 3 now has the ability to dynamically add elements to your forms in runtime from SBasic. You can even attach programming to these elements! This opens up all kinds of possibilities for things like offering different choices to a user or gathering different information from a user based on what they selected in another element.

I am referring to above. Adding elements to the form in Runtime. (Did not understand the part - from SBasic!!!)

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #30 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 5:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry, I believe, I get it now. One can code the application, so it can add element during runtime in the form when it satisfy certain condition.  Is that right?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #31 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 5:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Sep 13th, 2011 at 5:20pm:
Sorry, I believe, I get it now. One can code the application, so it can add element during runtime in the form when it satisfy certain condition.  Is that right?

You can indeed temporarily add elements in SBasic. This is something else though. The right-click thing is a new tool for when you working on your Forms in SDesigner.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Sesame 3 - Interactive Report Designer
Reply #32 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 1:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
One of Sesame 3's flagship features is the new WYSIWYG report designer. I've worked with a lot of report designers and this is easiest, most truly WYSIWYG one I've ever seen.

Right-click, select a field, and you get a column of data on your report. You also just right-click to sort, add subcalculations, change fonts, etc. Each time you make a change, the display updates to show you how your report will look.

Best of all, Sesame 3 populates the report design with actual data from your records, so you get a realistic picture of how your report will come out.

We got great feedback from our Alpha testers on this feature and we're sure it's going to make report creation much easier for all our users.

interactive_reports.png (Attachment deleted)

- Hammer
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #33 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 1:58am
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Larry
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #34 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 1:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Sep 15th, 2011 at 1:58am:

Development had a meeting and we have decided that we are not putting in any more Sesame 3 features until you tell us what the heck that thing is behind your cat.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #35 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 4:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Related to "create a database from a scanned document", how about something similar for "create a database from an HTML form" or from a PDF form?

I'm not thinking that it would automatically create the "back end" for an HTML form, just a database.  People often go to websites that have an HTML form to request product information, tech support, buy or donate, etc., and think, "We could use a database like that and those are basically the fields we would need."

Considering the variety of ways to create what appears to website visitors to be an "HTML form", it might be easier to have something that generates a PDF from the HTML page (e.g., doPDF or the virtual PDF printer Acrobat installs) and then use that as the source to generate the database.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2011 at 10:15pm by Rick_R »  

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #36 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 5:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Rick_R wrote on Sep 15th, 2011 at 4:35pm:
Related to "create a database from a scanned document", how about something similar for "create a database from an HTML form" or from a PDF form?

Sesame3 has Create Database from HTML Form and Create Database from HTML Table.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Sesame 3 - Initial Values
Reply #37 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 6:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 provides a way to set calculated values like current date, current time, or @Number as initial values. This is something that we had in Q&A, but not in Sesame 2. In Sesame 3, we've gotten that back for you in a way that lets you set simple values, but also much more.

- Hammer
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #38 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 6:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Sep 15th, 2011 at 1:31pm:

Development had a meeting and we have decided that we are not putting in any more Sesame 3 features until you tell us what the heck that thing is behind your cat.

HaHa!   It's a wood sculpture.  The cat's name is 'Paper' (one of two rescue cats - the other is named 'Toner'), and I liked that their silhouettes were so similar - Wood and Paper.

Hope that satisfies the development gurus!

Larry
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #39 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 6:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 6:09pm:
Hammer wrote on Sep 15th, 2011 at 1:31pm:

HaHa!   It's a wood sculpture.  The cat's name is 'Paper' (one of two rescue cats - the other is named 'Toner'), and I liked that their silhouettes were so similar - Wood and Paper.

Hope that satisfies the development gurus!

Yes. Thank you. We will now return to work.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #40 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 8:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
After a multi-day tug-of-war between the requirements of 64 bit versus 32 bit software, I am pleased to say that Development has managed to make shared libraries (dll’s and so’s) available from SBasic. That makes a whole pile of external functionality available, including operating system functions like common dialogs, SDK functions, etc. This is an advanced capability, but it opens up a world of capabilities for your developer or for you.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Sesame 3 Breaking News - Fixed Length Import
Reply #41 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 8:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 Breaking News - Fixed Length Import
In response to requests from our users, Sesame 3 now has fixed length import capability. Thanks for your input!

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Sesame 3 - Table View Row Height
Reply #42 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 6:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 - Breaking News
In response to requests from our users, Sesame 3 Table View now increases the height of each row to fit the tallest data in that row. Thanks for your input!

- Hammer
IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #43 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 6:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Sesame 3 – Breaking News
Development just implemented an amazing new search feature. If you enter a filename or URL in a field, when you search that field using the Retrieve Spec, Sesame will search the contents of the specified file or URL to see if that record matches your search criteria. I saw a demo of this a few minutes ago and my mind just exploded with the possibilities!

I don't understand -- let's say I put a hyperlink into a client record, the 'contact us' page of their website -- are you saying that Sesame will check to see if the contact information in the record itself matches the website page?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #44 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 6:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Acebanner wrote on Sep 30th, 2011 at 6:16pm:
Quote:
Sesame 3 – Breaking News

I don't understand -- let's say I put a hyperlink into a client record, the 'contact us' page of their website -- are you saying that Sesame will check to see if the contact information in the record itself matches the website page?

Not quite. If you put a hyperlink into a client record, the 'contact us' page of their website, searching for ..lantica.. in that field will return any record where the contents of the 'contact us' url entered on that record contain "lantica".

- Hammer
IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #45 - Oct 3rd, 2011 at 2:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Sep 30th, 2011 at 6:46pm:
Acebanner wrote on Sep 30th, 2011 at 6:16pm:
Quote:
Sesame 3 – Breaking News

Not quite. If you put a hyperlink into a client record, the 'contact us' page of their website, searching for ..lantica.. in that field will return any record where the contents of the 'contact us' url entered on that record contain "lantica".

Huh So... it searches the file, or the url itself for the text? Not the address of the url (the content of the field itself) but the page (or file)?

Hypothetical: I have a series of client records, and each record has a field called 'CLIENTELE' that stores the url for each client's portfolio page. Let's say each client (or most) have some page that lists the various companies in their portfolio. If I understand correctly, I could then search within that field for '...Coca-Cola...' and would receive a list of client records whose portfolio pages (http://blah..blah../portfolio.htm) matched against '...Coca-Cola...'

So I would be able to search my clients to see which ones have done work for Coca-Cola?

Is that correct?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #46 - Oct 3rd, 2011 at 2:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Acebanner wrote on Oct 3rd, 2011 at 2:05pm:
Huh So... it searches the file, or the url itself for the text? Not the address of the url (the content of the field itself) but the page (or file)?

Yep. Pretty nifty, huh?  Smiley

Quote:
Hypothetical: I have a series of client records, and each record has a field called 'CLIENTELE' that stores the url for each client's portfolio page. Let's say each client (or most) have some page that lists the various companies in their portfolio. If I understand correctly, I could then search within that field for '...Coca-Cola...' and would receive a list of client records whose portfolio pages (http://blah..blah../portfolio.htm) matched against '...Coca-Cola...'

So I would be able to search my clients to see which ones have done work for Coca-Cola?

Is that correct?

That is correct.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #47 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 1:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Oct 3rd, 2011 at 2:17pm:
Acebanner wrote on Oct 3rd, 2011 at 2:05pm:

Yep. Pretty nifty, huh?  Smiley

Quote:

Is that correct?

That is correct.

Hmmm.... lot of uses for something like that! Very cool.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #48 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 4:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 - Breaking News
Development just finished a new feature which lets you highlight something in your record, then right-click to search your records for the highlighted term. You can search all the records, filter the current records, or jump to the next record that matches.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #49 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 8:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Terrific feature! Will come in VERY handy!

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #50 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 5:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Oct 10th, 2011 at 4:16pm:
Sesame 3 - Breaking News
Development just finished a new feature which lets you highlight something in your record, then right-click to search your records for the highlighted term. You can search all the records, filter the current records, or jump to the next record that matches.

Does it only search the same field, or can you select which fields it will search?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #51 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 12:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
It can search either within that element or searches universally.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #52 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 3:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 - Breaking News
Development just added a feature that lets you add special behavior tags to command button labels to make them automatically run a search without needing any programming. For example, this label - [search]:state=OH:Get Ohio - will make a command button labeled Get Ohio that automatically searches for records where State=OH when clicked. It can also jump to the next record in your current results that matches.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #53 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 8:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Oct 12th, 2011 at 3:53pm:
Sesame 3 - Breaking News
Development just added a feature that lets you add special behavior tags to command button labels to make them automatically run a search without needing any programming. For example, this label - [search]:state=OH:Get Ohio - will make a command button labeled Get Ohio that automatically searches for records where State=OH when clicked. It can also jump to the next record in your current results that matches.

I assume it can be set similar to a standard search, so instead of "Get Ohio" you could have "Other" with a search specification along the lines of: State (field) not in "^OH^NY^MA^TX^"

And between the colons, can you put any expression that will produce a boolean result, including one with user-defined functions?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #54 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 9:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm not entirely sure what you are asking... but it basically can accept any legal search. It does use a slightly different search syntax in that the element name need be specified. For example, I just built a button with the following label:

[search:]state=oh;ok city=paris:Test1

that appears to have a label of "Test1" and causes a search returning records from the states of Ohio or Oklahoma or having a city name of Paris. The "Or" mode is the default at the moment. Basically:

((state = "Oh") or (state = "Ok") or (city = "Paris"))

I would have to check to make sure retrieve programming works in this instance. I don't see any reason it wouldn't.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #55 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 - Breaking News
In Sesame 3, SBasic now lets you group a list of elements and refer to that list by the group name. Anything you do to the group will be done to each element in the group. For example:
Code
Select All
// Group the Company, Add1, and First elements
GroupElements("Test", Company, Add1, First)
Color(@("Test"), 2, 1) // Color each of the elements in the group 

You can also map a list of values to the elements in the group with one line of code.
Code
Select All
//Places "one" in Company, "two" in Add1, and "three" in First
MapValues(@("Test"), "one;two;three") 

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #56 - Oct 14th, 2011 at 2:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 lets you choose whether to dock the Command Area on the left (default) or on the right (pictured).

rightside.png ( 31 KB | 82 Downloads )
rightside.png

- Hammer
IP Logged

magicfish

Reply #57 - Oct 14th, 2011 at 8:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
That is such a simple thing, but I like it on the right much better.   Smiley

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #58 - Oct 14th, 2011 at 10:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
magicfish wrote on Oct 14th, 2011 at 8:37pm:
That is such a simple thing, but I like it on the right much better.   Smiley

Same here. Since we read left-to-right, having it on the left when it's not being used just tends to be a distraction.

IP Logged

Sam

Reply #59 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:59am
Print Post Print Post  
Just wondering if there will a way to do exports or reports that are xml.  We currently use csv but have been asked by our clients to supply data in xml format.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #60 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 4:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sam wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:59am:
Just wondering if there will a way to do exports or reports that are xml.  We currently use csv but have been asked by our clients to supply data in xml format.

You can already do this in Sesame 2. XML is just ASCII formatted a particular way. You can use the File I/O commands to write out whatever XML you need.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #61 - Oct 21st, 2011 at 5:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 - Breaking News
In Sesame 3, you can now increment/decrement number, money, date and time values using < and >.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #62 - Oct 21st, 2011 at 5:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 - Breaking News
Sesame 3 now has Replacement Macros. This lets you define blocks of text for yourself that you can insert into fields at will without requiring any programming. This includes commonly used notes, standard blocks of text for documents, etc. If I save "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." as replacement macro "QBF," all I have to do is type "QBF%" into a field to insert that chunk of text. Now, since some of you folks are advanced users, I'll also point out that you can include @Eval macros (another cool new feature) in the replacement text that lets you include calculated values, run SBasic, etc. For example, if I add this line to my sesame_replacement_macros.txt file:
#define EVL=The full name is @eval{=(First + " " + Last)} ... then I can type EVL% in a field in a Customers record to calculate the full name.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #63 - Oct 21st, 2011 at 5:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
In Sesame 3, you can now increment/decrement number, money, date and time values using < and >.

How do we use that? In Sdesigner as property of Element? Increment in time in minutes or seconds?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #64 - Oct 21st, 2011 at 6:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Oct 21st, 2011 at 5:55pm:
Quote:

How do we use that? In Sdesigner as property of Element? Increment in time in minutes or seconds?

It is used in Runtime, not SDesigner. You highlight the value and type < or > to change the value. You can change the increment for time values between minutes or hours based on whether you type < or Alt+<. Same with > and Alt+>.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #65 - Oct 27th, 2011 at 12:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:04pm:
Sesame 3 - Breaking News
In Sesame 3, SBasic now lets you group a list of elements and refer to that list by the group name. Anything you do to the group will be done to each element in the group. For example:
Code
Select All
// Group the Company, Add1, and First elements
GroupElements("Test", Company, Add1, First)
Color(@("Test"), 2, 1) // Color each of the elements in the group 

You can also map a list of values to the elements in the group with one line of code.
Code
Select All
//Places "one" in Company, "two" in Add1, and "three" in First
MapValues(@("Test"), "one;two;three") 

That's a great feature... will really make it much easier to great dynamic forms. Can't wait to get Sesame3.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame 3 - HTML Viewer
Reply #66 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 7:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 now has an HTML View Window. This is like the WriteLn window, but it can render simple HTML, including images and tables. If you need to display formatted output, this new feature is a great way to do it.

htmlview.png ( 126 KB | 76 Downloads )
htmlview.png

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #67 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 7:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Smiley That is great! Thank you.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #68 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 2:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Another note about the HTML View window: You can have clickable links in it that run SBasic. So, you can include links in the HTML that post values, add records, run reports, send emails, or do anything else you can do in SBasic.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #69 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 3:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
This Sesame HTML viewer is very cool. I was just thinking about this while parsing HL7 (format used to exchange data, more like CSV), how to present data to user and giving them option to do in the form of clickable link. Looking forward to working with this.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #70 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 3:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika,

The HTML window really made my weekend. Can't thank you enough! And now, it sounds like it's even BETTER than I thought?

Are you saying that we can have a link that, when clicked, can 'jump' the user to a selected record (or set of records)?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #71 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 5:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Nov 7th, 2011 at 3:56pm:
Are you saying that we can have a link that, when clicked, can 'jump' the user to a selected record (or set of records)?

Yep. The example I was working with allowed the user to click on the origin of one of the Gem Types, like Brazil, and open the Gems subform standalone with all the Gems from Brazil retrieved. Plus, it's non-modal, so it can stay up until you're done with it like the WriteLn window does.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #72 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 5:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL! Sounds like it will enable all kinds of possibilities.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #73 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 5:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
I cannot help asking when is Sesame 3 expected to be released?

IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #74 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 1:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Nov 7th, 2011 at 3:40pm:
This Sesame HTML viewer is very cool. I was just thinking about this while parsing HL7 (format used to exchange data, more like CSV), how to present data to user and giving them option to do in the form of clickable link. Looking forward to working with this.

I use the WriteLn window to display a lot of information, so this will be very useful. I have to ask, when is Sesame v3.0 due to be released? No more toying with our emotions! Is there a beta program?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #75 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 2:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
One of the reasons we have been asking for feature requests/ideas, is so we can decide if we should be heading toward a "feature lock" on Sesame3 real-soon-now. So, unless someone mentions a make or break feature request in the next couple of weeks, feature-lock is impending.

Sesame3 is already in alpha testing. I don't know if there will be a general beta test cycle or not. The organization and coordination of a big beta test is difficult and not really up to development.

Right now, I am putting some finishing touches on various features: tooltips, cleaning-up code, getting bits and pieces to fit together a little tighter, etc. If we do feature lock soon, there will probably be a feature summary release for general, to make sure there are no more "speak-now" feature requests.

IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #76 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 2:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
The Cow wrote on Nov 10th, 2011 at 2:08pm:
One of the reasons we have been asking for feature requests/ideas, is so we can decide if we should be heading toward a "feature lock" on Sesame3 real-soon-now. So, unless someone mentions a make or break feature request in the next couple of weeks, feature-lock is impending.

Sesame3 is already in alpha testing. I don't know if there will be a general beta test cycle or not. The organization and coordination of a big beta test is difficult and not really up to development.

Right now, I am putting some finishing touches on various features: tooltips, cleaning-up code, getting bits and pieces to fit together a little tighter, etc. If we do feature lock soon, there will probably be a feature summary release for general, to make sure there are no more "speak-now" feature requests.

When v3.0 is released, will it require 'translating' existing v2.5+ programming, or a reinstallation of a whole new program? How much of a revamping is it really? I have a few Sesame projects I want to tackle in the new few months, and a lot of these v3.0 features would make them a lot easier to implement. If the feature-freeze were implemented tomorrow, how long before we could get our mitts on it? A month? Three months? Six? Just a ballpark estimate.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #77 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 2:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 - Breaking News
All that stuff that the HTML View Window can do? Static text elements on your form can now do all that stuff too.

- Hammer
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #78 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 2:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Acebanner wrote on Nov 10th, 2011 at 2:20pm:
When v3.0 is released, will it require 'translating' existing v2.5+ programming, or a reinstallation of a whole new program? How much of a revamping is it really? I have a few Sesame projects I want to tackle in the new few months, and a lot of these v3.0 features would make them a lot easier to implement. If the feature-freeze were implemented tomorrow, how long before we could get our mitts on it? A month? Three months? Six? Just a ballpark estimate.

Sesame3 does require an automatic translation from Sesame2. This is because Sesame3 also supports 64 bit. But, the SBasic is fully back-compatible and does not need to change at all (unless you want to). The translation from 2 to 3, does not require any human intervention or decisions.

If we feature lock today, it will be at least a couple of months to test, fix, and document. Jessica is already plowing through the user manual and making great progress. But there are screen shots, the programming manual, web pages, online docs, packaging, promotion, and etc. that have to be taken care of.

All sorts of ducks must be aligned.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Sesame 3 - Chat Client
Reply #79 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 4:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 now has a built-in Chat client. If you are logged into a Sesame Server, you can chat with others who are also logged into the same Sesame Server.

chat.png ( 21 KB | 114 Downloads )
chat.png

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #80 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 4:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
WOW! You all are amazing!

If you can enable hyperlinks in the chat client to a webpage and more importantly, to a sesame record, it would be amazing!

CAN'T WAIT FOR Sesame3!

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #81 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 4:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Nov 14th, 2011 at 4:15pm:
WOW! You all are amazing!

I agree with Steve! Absolutely mind blowing! You all ROCK!

What a great tool the chat feature will be for using Sesame via the web. Now with a VOIP phone and sesame it is really possible to have worgroups with people working from different locations.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #82 - Nov 14th, 2011 at 8:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Great!!! Now pleeeease do something so, we get to use them ASAP, alfa, beta.... whatever.  Can't wait to use them!!!

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #83 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 9:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Nov 14th, 2011 at 8:26pm:
Great!!! Now pleeeease do something so, we get to use them ASAP, alfa, beta.... whatever.  Can't wait to use them!!!

We have regularly been sending Sesame 3 out to an Alpha Test group for some time now. The next alpha release will go out shortly. Some of the members of that group are on this forum. I won't out them as such without their permission, but it's okay with us if they choose to identify themselves to you.

- Hammer
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #84 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 3:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well, I have been fortunate enough to see the mind blowing Sesame 3 and can tell you it makes the greatest program even better.

One of the most intriguing things about it to me, is that it seems to be 2 new versions in 1.

In one way the Lanticans made  it easier for newbie's and non sophisticated  users  (like me) to get going quickly and get very powerful features into our applications, on the other end they gave power users and people who are professional computer people more powerful tools and features that will allow a developer to achieve just about anything they could desire.

I know everyone on this forum has read and seen the examples that Erika and Mark have told us about and posted examples of, so you already  know what features to expect .  The thing is in Sesame 3 the passion you see daily in the entire Lantica team whether it's when talking about a new feature or Ray solving one of our problems shows up clearly in the software.

Sesame 3 does not feel like a product developed by some really smart people because it's their job, it feels like a really fine piece of art created and crafted by people with a passion and love for what they are doing and a desire to give us users the best possible product and tools for us to use.

I for one cannot thank them enough for all their hard work and effort and believe everyone will love what they have done with the new version.  It is worth the wait.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Sesame 3 - Table Headers
Reply #85 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 5:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 provides a new SBasic command - TableHeaders() - which gives you some additional control over how your table view subforms look and how much space they take up.

table-headers.png ( 11 KB | 96 Downloads )
table-headers.png

- Hammer
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #86 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 1:41am
Print Post Print Post  
that is so cool.  I'll definitely be taking advantage of that.  You guys really do rock.

Larry
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #87 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 3:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 9:16pm:
We have regularly been sending Sesame 3 out to an Alpha Test group for some time now. The next alpha release will go out shortly. Some of the members of that group are on this forum. I won't out them as such without their permission, but it's okay with us if they choose to identify themselves to you.

You have my permission. Smiley

I've always avoided revealing that I was an Alpha Tester to ensure I didn't break the NDA.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #88 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 4:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3- Breaking News
You can now use Chat (and other methods) to send another user a clickable that takes them directly to the record or report that you want them to see without anyone having to write SBasic.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #89 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 4:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Speechless! Utterly Speechless!

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #90 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 4:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have regained composure and now have a question. Can the chat be invoked with sbasic and directed to a user or usergroup?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #91 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 4:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Nov 22nd, 2011 at 4:25pm:
Speechless! Utterly Speechless!

Is that a good thing...?

[edit] Well that didn't last long.  Smiley

- Hammer
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #92 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 4:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Nov 22nd, 2011 at 4:27pm:
I have regained composure and now have a question. Can the chat be invoked with sbasic and directed to a user or usergroup?

I will make a "chat function" for SBasic that will bring up the chat client.

It already has the ability to direct messages to a specific set of people. But it is limited to those that are already logged into the chat server.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #93 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 4:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
You all seem to enjoy a challenge. Wink

Thanks for making possible, the 'impossible'. Sesame 3 is going to be incredible!

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #94 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 6:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Since you all know none of us on this side of the Forum are ever really speechless, (ok maybe Steve  Wink )

I will just add that even though we have lots to say, there are NO Words that can express how exciting that feature is to us users, and how thankful we are for it.

Considering last week it sounded like additional features to Sesame chat was not on the short list of to-do's right now, It is even more exciting  than normal.

The way you all listen to our needs and desires are unreal. You really make using Sesame a delight. 

Just for the record you are all on my "To be thankful for" list  this Thanksgiving!

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #95 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 6:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 - Breaking News
Development just finished implementing a set of SBasic functions that allow direct access to SQL-based databases like mySQL and Microsoft SQL Server. Those of you who want to interface with other company databases or the databases behind your websites will get a whole lot of use out of these new  commands.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #96 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 7:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Wow! Sounds like a powerful new feature!

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #97 - Dec 13th, 2011 at 6:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 - Breaking News
As part of the external SQL functionality, Sesame can now also build a Sesame application, including data, just by pointing it at an existing supported SQL-based database such as mySQL or Microsoft SQL Server.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #98 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 1:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Dec 13th, 2011 at 6:00pm:
Sesame 3 - Breaking News
As part of the external SQL functionality, Sesame can now also build a Sesame application, including data, just by pointing it at an existing supported SQL-based database such as mySQL or Microsoft SQL Server.

Let's say I have a SQL database that stores my Drupal-based website. Could Sesame convert that database into a Sesame database?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #99 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 2:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yep. It would create a Sesame Application with a database (populated with your data) and a form for each table in the SQL database.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #100 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 8:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Very cool! I maintain about 4 Drupal sites (and a few with some other flavors), and I can see where this might be handy.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #101 - Dec 15th, 2011 at 4:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
More additions to Sesame 3's SQL tools! You can now create a Sesame Application (with data) from any SELECT query. You can also export the results of any SELECT query to CSV.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #102 - Dec 16th, 2011 at 11:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Any way to tie into a PERL or Python script?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #103 - Dec 17th, 2011 at 2:37am
Print Post Print Post  
Rick_R wrote on Dec 16th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Any way to tie into a PERL or Python script?

Over and beyond @RedirectProcess?

You can, of course call a Perl, PHP, Java, VB, Python, C#, compiled programs, etc... from @RedirectProcess and pass the inputs through stdin and capture ouputs through stdout, These scripts and executables can access the Sesame server through the free API. But we have not integrated the interpreters/compilers directly into Sesame.

Though, if you have the chops, the new shared library access commands would let you do so yourself, at least with the open source languages. The executables for the interpreters would have to be recompiled as a dll/so (some already are). The exposed methods in the shared library could then be accessed from SBasic. Tricky, but doable.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #104 - Dec 17th, 2011 at 5:08am
Print Post Print Post  
I'm thinking of calling a specified interpreter and receiving its output.

Just a rough idea: Somewhere in the Application global code, an ini file, or an include file the program specifies the path to the PERL, Python (etc.) interpreter.  Then a built-in function simply passes a script path/filename and parameter string to that program and returns the result. It might not be optimal for speed, but someone with the programming chops could go the recompiling, etc. route.  Someone who is more in a situation of, "I'm the only person at my company who has some idea of programming so they stuck me with this and I have to figure it out," would be a lot more likely to find a script somewhere and make small modifications.

MyVar = PERL(ScriptPath, ParameterString)

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #105 - Dec 17th, 2011 at 5:35am
Print Post Print Post  
This does as you wish and runs in Sesame2 and 3.

Code
Select All
var aa as string

aa = @RedirectProcess("/usr/bin/perl", "print 'hello world';")
writeln(aa)

Actually, on my system, perl doesn't need the full path. The first argument is the process to be invoked and the second is a string that is passed to that process through stdin. Because perl (and most scripting languages) will accept the program to run through stdin, it runs that program. The return value catches the stdout of that program and places it in the "aa" string.

Of course this isn't limited to just script interpreters. Here are examples of accessing a mySQL database from Sesame2:

Code
Select All
var aa as string

aa = @RedirectProcess("mysql --user=yourlogin --password=yourpassword", "show databases")
writeln(aa)

Code
Select All
var aa as string
var sql as string

sql = "USE dbtest;"
+     "SELECT * FROM AUTHORS;"
+     "GO"

aa = @RedirectProcess("mysql --user=you --password=pwd", sql)
writeln(aa)

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #106 - Mar 3rd, 2012 at 10:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Have not seen any announcement of Feature Lock, still open or still pending?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #107 - Mar 4th, 2012 at 12:52am
Print Post Print Post  
Nominally open.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #108 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 8:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is beta testing initiated for Sesame3? How far are we with it? Any expected release date?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #109 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 8:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame3 alpha/beta testing has been on hiatus while we beta test Sesame 2.5.3.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #110 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 3:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 now has SBasic commands to embed other applications, like the PDF Viewer in the image, right on your Sesame forms.

embedded_app.jpg ( 107 KB | 136 Downloads )
embedded_app.jpg

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #111 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 4:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
WOW! From your screenshot, it appears like we will be able to view (and interact with?) the embedded application. Very exciting!

IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #112 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 2:49am
Print Post Print Post  
That's so cool.  You guys rock.

Larry
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #113 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 4:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Looking good.  Can you elaborate a bit on "other applications"?  Are you doing something like making a block where a "Sync" type of process is visible, so almost any app can be displayed on the form?  Could that include a browser, QuickBooks, etc?

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #114 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 4:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob_Hansen wrote on Apr 20th, 2012 at 4:29pm:
Looking good.  Can you elaborate a bit on "other applications"?  Are you doing something like making a block where a "Sync" type of process is visible, so almost any app can be displayed on the form?  Could that include a browser, QuickBooks, etc?

Generally it works by finding the target application's window and embedding that on the form. So it will only work on applications that have an open window, and more so, those that run simply in a main window.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #115 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 8:23am
Print Post Print Post  
This is extremely minor but one cannot save the code immediately after successful testing in the program editor. You have to exit the editor and then save it in the control panel using Command Menu.  It would be nice if the code could be saved from Program  Editor.  That will save a few key strokes and one is likely to save more often and could make a difference in a catastrophic event and ease of operation.  May be conrol-S as that is common with the other programs.

I know that the  save in the Control Panel also check for the error in the Layout Design but that could be checked at the final exit.   

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #116 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 4:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the explanation, Mark.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #117 - May 6th, 2012 at 4:13am
Print Post Print Post  
Today we had our quarterly SANE meeting.  After some discussions about getting programming to run from the RetrieveSpec screen, we got into discussions about what we know about Version 3.

We agreed as a group that one of the biggest needs we had and wanted to see in version 3 was better tools to use with diagnosing programming steps.  There was total agreement that we really need a tool that allows us to Single Step through the code, with a view of the variables and their values after each step.  The ability to insert BreakPoints would be a big plus after that, but as a minimum we really want to have Single Step ability.   Cool

We could not think of any major programming development tool that does not have this feature.  Even the lowly batch file allows you to do a Single Step (and it was also the recollection that even Q&A had Single Step tools in Version 2).

WriteLn has been the suggested tool since Sesame came out, but it is really too cumbersome to keep typing in the lines, commenting them out.  Knowing which subroutines were called is needed to know where to insert many WriteLn functions.

So we are respectfully requesting as a group that Single Step tools be provided with the release of Version 3.  We are sure that many other users will chime in and agree with this request.

Thanks for listening.  We are hoping to see that feature announced at the National Sesame Group Meeting we are also hoping to attend with the Version 3 Release (We all missed any mention of where on the East Coast that was going to be held  Roll Eyes).

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #118 - May 7th, 2012 at 10:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Single Step, breakpoints and the ability to change a variable's value would be big helps.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #119 - May 7th, 2012 at 10:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob_Hansen wrote on May 6th, 2012 at 4:13am:
We are hoping to see that feature announced at the National Sesame Group Meeting we are also hoping to attend with the Version 3 Release (We all missed any mention of where on the East Coast that was going to be held  Roll Eyes).

Rumor has it,  it's going to be in a small city in Ohio and the users are going to take the incredible Lantica team to a wonderful dinner at a really nice place and then the next couple of mornings the users are going to show up and answer phones and take messages so the Lanticans can have a few days of peace and quiet.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #120 - May 8th, 2012 at 8:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
That might be an acceptable cost for Single Stepping.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #121 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 2:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
OK, now that 2.5.3 is out the door and appears to be quite stable, I can go back to giving you Development updates on 3.0. It will be awhile before it is released, but I thought you might like to know that...

In Sesame 3, there is now a menu choice to allow an end user to change their own password.

- Hammer
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #122 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 5:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
That is GREAT!

Thanks

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #123 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 10:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer, this thread is now at 9 pages, with a number of tangents.  How about putting together three "summary" posts:

1) New features already added or in process

2) Suggestions that will not be developed

3) Suggestions still open for consideration

IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #124 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 11:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
My end of the week smart alack thought was that Hammer's reply should be:

"OK ...
2) Suggestions that will not be developed:   see above post..

Roll Eyes  (sorry, Rick, I just couldn't resist!)

Larry
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #125 - Sep 28th, 2012 at 2:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Sep 24th, 2012 at 2:50pm:
In Sesame 3, there is now a menu choice to allow an end user to change their own password.

Any chance we can get some reporting / documentation for security?  The ability to create a file or print out of the groups with permissions, the users by groups etc...

I know it must be the pits that every time you tell us about an incredible new feature we ask it to do more, We love what you give us we just like offering other things for you to think about.

Thanks for the new user changeable  password feature!

« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2012 at 5:37pm by BOBSCOTT »  

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #126 - Sep 28th, 2012 at 4:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
BOBSCOTT wrote on Sep 28th, 2012 at 2:00pm:
I know it must be the pits that every time you tell us about an incredible new feature we ask it to do more, We love what you give us we just like offering other things for you to think about.

Look on the bright side.  Years ago someone involved in the development of FoxPro wrote a book described the development process they ran into.  They would announce that such-and-such feature was being added to the next version.  The initial reaction would be "Great!  That will be so helpful."  Then people would start saying, "but it won't do ...."  Then more people would chime in.  Within a fairly short time the discussion would go from "Great" to "totally useless!  How can they put out such garbage??? What a waste!"  And the feature wasn't even out yet!

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Sesame 3 - PLAIN search
Reply #127 - Oct 9th, 2012 at 5:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 has a new search syntax called PLAIN that you can turn on in the sesame.ini file. It runs all searches as if you had used .. before and after without needing the wildcards. So, if you search for MAR in a field, it will behave as if you searched for ..MAR.. and return MARY, DELMAR, and AMARETTO.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Sesame 3 - Fuzzy Search
Reply #128 - Oct 9th, 2012 at 5:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 has a new Fuzzy Search feature which works in SBasic and also in retrieve spec programming. This feature allows Q&A, RegEx, or Plain search wildcards to work with comparison operators. Without Fuzzy Search, to find out if the first three characters of LastName are "MAR" you have to do this:

If @Left(LastName, 3) = "MAR" Then ...

With Fuzzy Search, you can do this:

Fuzzy(1)
If LastName = "MAR.." Then ...

You can also turn on Fuzzy Search inline by enclosing the value in tildes:

If LastName = "~MAR..~" Then ...

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #129 - Dec 22nd, 2012 at 7:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Going forward a lot things are changing. Time when we used to snail mail the paper bill and invoice, then we could prepare it on computer and fax it. Now they want the form filled out the website and submit. All data also has to be sent using either sFTP or HTTPS in the  format they want. It used to be text (csv), then HL7 or other proprietary format and now in XML. 

Sesame has provided users and developers with various tools to accomplish the job and especially with @Shell ( ), @ASynchShell ( ), CreateAProcess ( ) and RedirectProcess ( ) commands, we can use outside commandline utilities to meet the pressing demand in the ever-changing environment.

With the web-interaction in the form of filling out cgi forms and submitting data, the most of the sites use SSL and that is where Sesame native commands fall short at present, however, one can use outside utilities to overcome the gap.  I am confident that in the upcoming version 3, the forward looking Lanticans must have addressed to this needs and provided tools to deal with this growing needs.

I was going through cURL manual and FAQ to meet some my present needs and to my surprise, this utility is free to be utilized in any commercial product.  Incorporating this would definitely enhance Sesame to take care of SSL and other web-interaction chores.

Naturally my curiosity is growing to find out how Sesame will address to this growing need and any plan to incorporate cURL like utilities instead of re-inventing wheels?
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2012 at 9:02pm by Bharat_Naik »  

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #130 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 4:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
The only widely used capability in cURL that is not already implemented in Sesame as SBasic commands is SSL. Unfortunately. SSL encryption cannot be exported from the US without a special export license. We cannot even link to a shared library that provides SSL encryption and then export the program, with or without the library.

You can now, in Sesame 2, simply call cURL using @RedirectProcess and capture the results, with need no need for external files. You can also, with some trouble, setup SSL tunneling on the port(s) required for any particular protocol, allowing all traffic in the protocol including that generated from Sesame, to be encrypted.

In Sesame 3, you can also link to a DLL from SBasic and call the functions in the DLL from SBasic. So you could link to OpenSLL and call its functions, yourself.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #131 - Dec 23rd, 2012 at 9:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark, thanks for explanation. I am sure that with the available commands and support from Sesame Support Team and Lanticans, we will overcome anything and everything thrown at us in terms of emerging technology.  Thanks again.

IP Logged

digitelcej

No personal text

Reply #132 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 2:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
I notice it has been about 8 months since any information on Sesame 3 has been posted.  Just wondering if any release date has been established, or if there is any progress.

Thanks

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #133 - Aug 24th, 2013 at 5:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
There is continuous progress, but no release date set. My latest work has been on a built in HTTP proxy, with hopes of allowing Sesame3 to work on a web server without the need to tunneling.

IP Logged

Robert Manshack

Reply #134 - Apr 9th, 2015 at 8:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
It would be awesome if ASCII import had the same options as ASCII export......choosing a delimiter, separator, ignore first row, etc.

Just something to add onto the request pile for v3

IP Logged