Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stability (Read 21182 times)
lksseven

Re: Stability
Reply #15 - Nov 1st, 2022 at 9:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Ray, I will try your suggestion.

Larry
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #16 - Nov 4th, 2022 at 6:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes, the ping response slowed down, and :Sesame engine wouldn't let laptop client write data to the database (red stripe with read/write errors)

Here is a pic from my phone of the Sesame engine screen
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tFoQs5xEqaDFYBeq8

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #17 - Nov 7th, 2022 at 6:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Nov 4th, 2022 at 6:29pm:
Yes, the ping response slowed down, and :Sesame engine wouldn't let laptop client write data to the database (red stripe with read/write errors)

Those are Write/Ping errors to the Sesame client meaning that client is offline/unavailable/unresponsive/Ports were closed/or communications are so slow that they timed out.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #18 - Nov 10th, 2022 at 7:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
and so, my focus/investigation should be on the client, not the server?  Server is WinXP (2009)

Sequence is always:
-Fresh load of Sesame engine/server
- Load Sesame client from each workstation (mix of desktops and laptops)
- as long as this initial hookup is intact, all perfect.  But is Sesame session is closed for any reason (laptop moved, or desktop computer rebooted), then this existing 'load' of Sesame server engine will not let that disconnected client back on to write.  The only thing that seems to let that client back on is to reload the Sesame server engine for a fresh 'load'.

I will keep tinkering with it.

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #19 - Nov 14th, 2022 at 6:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Nov 10th, 2022 at 7:39pm:
and so, my focus/investigation should be on the client, not the server?  Server is WinXP (2009)

If it only affects certain client systems, I would be looking at the client systems.

Quote:
Sequence is always:
-Fresh load of Sesame engine/server
- Load Sesame client from each workstation (mix of desktops and laptops)
- as long as this initial hookup is intact, all perfect.  But is Sesame session is closed for any reason (laptop moved, or desktop computer rebooted), then this existing 'load' of Sesame server engine will not let that disconnected client back on to write.  The only thing that seems to let that client back on is to reload the Sesame server engine for a fresh 'load'.

When you say "Disconnected" do you mean the client is showing up in the Disconnected list of Sesame Server? I'm asking as Sesame clients closed normally do not show up there. It makes no difference to Sesame but could leave records locked.

As a test, here's a screenshot of the Server after a laptop client was disconnected from the network(turned off WIFI completely) so the Sesame Server disconnected it after 10 failed pings. Closed the Sesame Client, reconnected to Network(same IP) and then I restarted the Sesame client. At the time of the screenshot it had no issues in a little over 11 minutes. It's now been over 40 minutes and still no issues, failed Pings, or network errors.

-Ray

Slacker.png ( 24 KB | 30 Downloads )
Slacker.png

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #20 - Nov 15th, 2022 at 1:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Case in point:  Sesame engine running for about a week, workstations connected and happy.  I took my personal laptop off the network (260-LKS, 192.168.1.36) and took it home.  While at home, I rebooted it.  Back at office Monday, connected the laptop to network, loaded Sesame client, pulled up a customer record and did a two letter edit and save, then took this picture of the Sesame server screen.  It managed to allow and save the "xx" edit, but also produced 6 read/write errors.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9nDJKdcj7xVnDs9R6

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #21 - Nov 15th, 2022 at 2:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Looking at that picture, Your client has already been disconnected once and is failing pings again(which are on the 20,001 port, not the main 20,000 port). That Server also has something else trying to connect to it at 11:31 PM and 3:04 AM. Are you running an Internet Security program or other program that might be sniffing open ports on the Server?

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #22 - Nov 25th, 2022 at 11:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Internet security running and sniffing for open ports- it's possible. What probably isn't possible is me capable of holding up my end of an intellligent conversation about security software and ports.  All of my workstations are running Fsecure internet security software - not sure about the server. 
I'm a little bit past the days of being able to fake it till I understand it  Sad 

I suspect a lot of things might improve if I got the gumption to jump off this 13year old WinXP server with 4GB ram, and onto a younger platform.  But I'm 66 and coming in for a soft landing in the next coupla years, so not sure I want to climb that server conversion summit.

Larry
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #23 - Dec 10th, 2022 at 7:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
So, here's my workaround (I don't have a theory; this is just what appears to be working)...
- client computer logs on network and boots up sesame.
- work work work
- laptop is closed and taken home
- next day, laptop opened and logged on, and Sesame engine starts showing read write errors and then shortly thereafter kicks off the Sesame client, stating that 192.168.1.36 has been disconnected.  If I re load Sesame client (still with ip .36), Sesame engine starts showing read write errors (red strip) and again Sesame server engine kicks off the client.
------ 
But, if I go into laptop network adaptor and change the MAC address (spoof, in other words), then when the network adaptor reenables itself with the new MAC (just changed the last digit), it gets a new IP address from the router (192.168.1.38), and Sesame engine welcomes the new load of Sesame client with open arms.

If I repeat the laptop shutdown , reopen and reconnect, keeping the MAC so that the ip .38 stays the same, Sesame engine doesn't like it, read write (red strip) errors, and soon a kickoff of the client , stating not only line client 192.168.1.36 has been disconnected, but adding a second line that client 192.168.1.38 has also been disconnected.

If I change MAC address to '..c3', then get new ip of .39, and Sesame engine loves it.  IF I disconnect Sesame client, a repeat of the above, resulting with 3 disconnected lines .36, .38, .39 . 
But if I go back and change MAC back to original '..c1', router reassigns ip .36, and Sesame engine so far in an hour loves it - no red strip, no client kicked off. 

Does the Sesame server have a cache that gets rotated out, so third time's a charm and the original offending 'ip.36' gets dropped out of the cache, making Sesame engine then think a subsequent request from 'ip.36' is virginal ?

In any case, having to take 40 seconds to change MAC address upon opening laptop each day is far better than having to take 15 minutes shutdown/reload server sesame engine and reloading clients

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #24 - Dec 12th, 2022 at 6:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Dec 10th, 2022 at 7:02pm:
So, here's my workaround (I don't have a theory; this is just what appears to be working)...
- client computer logs on network and boots up sesame.
- work work work
- laptop is closed and taken home

Are you missing a step in there of "Close Sesame"?

Quote:
Does the Sesame server have a cache that gets rotated out, so third time's a charm and the original offending 'ip.36' gets dropped out of the cache, making Sesame engine then think a subsequent request from 'ip.36' is virginal ?

No. Again there is no Cache like that or anything in Sesame that would be causing this behavior.

Out of curiosity: You're using DHCP, What happens if you use Static IP address?

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print