Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stability (Read 21184 times)
lksseven

Stability
Aug 1st, 2020 at 1:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Running Sesame 2.5.3 server on Windows XP workstation (11 years).  Most workstations running Windows 7.   

If, in the morning, I open up 'server admin' on the servers, unload my Sesame application, then 'stop this server', then reload the server, usually Sesame on the network will run just fine all day (may one server 'unlock/restart' needed).

But, if I don't do the above (unload/reload at beginning of the day), Sesame clients are likely to randomly and often just disappear from the workstation screen in the middle of a task, and the Sesame client has to be restarted.  Maddening.

I'm sure it's some kind of an issue with my internal network (tcp pipes?) that's causing the client to lose its 'Sesame' communication link with the server.  But I can't figure it out.  I have removed the anti-virus program from the server, and have tested results with a workstation's anti-virus program disabled, but that did not improve reliability.

It's not disabling, but irritating, and it does present ongoing productivity obstacles when I'm working from home, trying to get stuff done on Sesame through the Internet ... thus my original question about 'Sesame life in the cloud'.

ps - Ace, I remember you posting some here a decade ago - am happy to see you still kicking!

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Stability
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 12:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
One of the first things I would recommend is to upgrade to Sesame 2.6.4. There was a lot of network changes/fixes between 2.5.3 and the latest version.

It almost sounds like something is going to sleep and closing ports but again I would upgrade to eliminate chasing an old issue that has already been fixed.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 2:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

Yes, understood.  That 'feels' like excellent advice.  (Poking a bit of fun at myself - solutions that were 'no brainers' 10 years ago, somehow now, at 64yrs old, become problematic for this 'well on my way to becoming a no brainer' business owner and past programmer.  I'll mull over whether I have one more 'upgrade in me'.)   Wink Sad Huh

ps - Running Windows XP workstation as server; Running Windows 7 client workstations.  Do I have to be aware of any caveats or preps before upgrading from 2.5.3 to 2.6.4 ?
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2020 at 3:53pm by lksseven »  

Larry
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2022 at 12:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ray,

I'm Haley's Comet circling back ...  I still have not upgraded from ver 2.5.3 (I've been trying to hold out for retirement and save my brain bruise).  But retirement still a ways off and some days the instability of this Sesame issue is a hair puller.

Yesterday I loaded a local Sesame client on the Sesame server, and the local client just disappeared in the middle of a task, forcing me to reload the client. 

So, this suggests to me that all of my problem may not be a Windows network issue, but rather either a programming issue in my Sesame, or possibly a file corruption issue in my database?

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2022 at 1:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Are you running the local client using the server name or localhost?

Just curious but either way is still using the network. Now if you launch Sesame standalone and it has the same issue, yes it's not a network issue and could be a programming or data issue. Here again there have been a LOT of changes since 2.5.3 so I would upgrade. The upgrade is a simple process. Just shut down Sesame, Run the update on the Server and ALL clients, and then start it all back up.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #5 - Sep 18th, 2022 at 7:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you for your reply (and for still being here!).

I opened a local client that is located on the same computer that runs the Sesame server engine.

I will do as you suggest and upgrade.

ps - almost all of my heavy lifting programming with Sesame programming was 2009 - 2012.  I was able to automate so much of my daily tool set of tasks (sales, purchasing, inventory, shipping, invoicing) that I can still be competitive and profitable as a very small and very shorthanded business in 2022.   I could never have continued to be in business without Sesame.  So thank you.

Larry
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2022 at 3:21am
Print Post Print Post  
I upgraded to 2.6.4 today.  I'm still losing connections to the Sesame server engine.  Shutting down the sesame server engine and then bringing it back up is the only thing that improves the stability.   I think I need to run the sesame server engine on a different computer and see if that improves stability (maybe I've got a wiggy hardware issue ... I don't see how that could be, though - it's only a 13year old server running Win XP  Smiley)

I'll report what I find out.

Larry
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2022 at 4:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bingo.  The problems of instability (for 6-8 years) seems to have been an inadequate sized swap file on the WinXP server.  4096mb max physical memory, and the swap file was set at 2048mb.  Once I increased the swap file to max 4096mb, all errors and disconnects and read/write errors stopped.  Amazing.
IF I hadn't upgraded to 2.6.4, I would have never been able to view the granular details that showed just what the problem really was.  Once I could see all the disconnects happening behind the scenes, and then all the read/write errors happening to cause those disconnects (I guess due to not enough swap space allocated), it put 'hardware failure on my radar.  That got me looking at the workings of the server, and that let me come across the swap file and had me thinking "hold my beer and watch what happens when I increase swap file size to the max".
Fingers crossed, but so far so good!
I tried to post before and after pics, but pic pixel count too high.

Larry
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2022 at 4:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
All clear swimming with my Sesame Win7 64 desktop workstations.  But the 3 Lenovo Thinkpad laptop workstations will be disconnected by the Sesame server engine, and then have intermittent read/write errors.   Anyone else experience this?

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2022 at 4:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Are the Laptops wireless or on the wired network? If wireless, does the problem persist if they are placed on a wired network?

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #10 - Oct 4th, 2022 at 4:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
the laptops are connected 'wired'.  Only one of them comes and goes with me, the other two are stationary and wired to the network just like the desktops.

on the Sesame Server screen, it will say "client disconnected 192.168.1.?? (the ip addresses of the laptops), but also it might say 'client disconnected 4PDF"  or "CF226"(part of an inventory part #) ... like the server engine is catching some ephemera transient and mistaking it for a client glitch and so disconnecting it.  when this happens, the disconnect client at the workstation can be accessed and reconnects to the Sesame server, but continues to generate redhighlighted read/file errors on the server engine window, and eventually client gets disconnected again

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2022 at 4:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
All the Network power saving settings have been turned off and sleep and hibernate are disabled correct? Strange that it's just the laptops.

Data other than the IP address appearing usually happens after a disconnect(or when something other than Sesame is trying to connect) and then garbage gets sent as part of the connection command.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

jacker

Reply #12 - Oct 26th, 2022 at 3:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Interesting discussion. I've had similar issues for years, if not decades. 7:30AM every day I pour a cup of coffee, make sure no stragglers are still connected from the previous day, shut down the server, restart it, and unlock all the databases.

I'm running 2.6.4 on a small cloud virtual Windows Server 2008 and I'll typically get 10-13 users connected at once. Sometimes the server can run all day or even for a day or two without the clients timing out, but then other days I'll have to kick everyone off and reboot 3 or 4 times in a single day.

To this day I am not sure what causes it to lock up and timeout the client connections. I've just learned to live with it. Job security, right? The cloud server is pretty stripped down and there's not a ton of memory to work with, but maybe I shall try tweaking the paging file. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be most welcome.

Cheers.  Cheesy

Jack - I'm smokin' past the filter and it's burnin' my lips...
YIM YIM  
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #13 - Oct 31st, 2022 at 7:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
All of the fulltime workstations (desk and laptops) have all sleep and hibernation settings disabled.  My home and office laptop. works great on a fresh hookup, but once I disconnect to go home, then plug back in the next day, the router assigns the same ipaddress to my laptop as the previous day, and Sesame engine won't let it read/write well, building up read/write errors until they hit '100' when client connection vaporizes.   

So, the real beef by Sesame engine seems to be the ipaddress (not necessarily the laptop itself) - once a given ipaddress has been disconnected from Sesame, Sesame doesn't want to let it 100% back on the database.   

Is there a way to get the laptop to ask for a different ipaddress from the day before?  Or is there a way to tell Sesame 2.6.4 engine to clear its disconnect drawer and allow disconnected ipaddresses back on again?

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #14 - Nov 1st, 2022 at 2:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Oct 31st, 2022 at 7:54pm:
So, the real beef by Sesame engine seems to be the ipaddress (not necessarily the laptop itself) - once a given ipaddress has been disconnected from Sesame, Sesame doesn't want to let it 100% back on the database. 

Is there a way to get the laptop to ask for a different ipaddress from the day before?  Or is there a way to tell Sesame 2.6.4 engine to clear its disconnect drawer and allow disconnected ipaddresses back on again?

You're not seeing what you think you are seeing, as it's likely the desktops also have the same IP's from the day before. If you start Sesame Client, Do something and close out, Sesame server has forgotten about that client(unless you left an XResultSet open but that'll only result in a locked record).

Try this, from a command promp on the laptopt: Run a "Ping -T Servername" where Servername is the name of your server. Just let it run. When you start seeing read/write errors in Sesame, see if the Pings are taking longer or failing.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print