Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sesame 3 Feature Requests (Read 26790 times)
Rick_R

Sesame 3 Feature Requests
Sep 22nd, 2011 at 6:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is not about the program itself but the documentation.

Add bookmarks to the PDF.  Also create an "embedded index".  It indexes all text in the document, which massively speeds up searches.

Related to that, start page numbering with the cover as page 1, i.e., no roman numerals for the Preface, etc.  That way, Page 7 in the Table of Contents will be Page 7 in the PDF.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2011 at 1:15pm by Hammer »  

IP Logged

lksseven

Re: Help us make Sesame 3 better!
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 3:52am
Print Post Print Post  
1)  I'd like to be able to print, from a remote client, to a printer available to the server (for order entry/printing by both sales reps and customers).   

2)  Tableview wordwrap:  I'd like tableview to allow each line's row height to grow specific to the needs of the wordiest field in that line.

3)  Tableview color coding:  data color coded from field to field based upon criteria (this brand is red text, that brand is blue text).   I was trying to do this a while back, and now I can't remember if it wasn't in there yet, or was in there but had a bug.

4)  Send Text messages   

5)  Smart phone remote client ability

Larry
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 4:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Sep 23rd, 2011 at 3:52am:
1)  I'd like to be able to print, from a remote client, to a printer available to the server (for order entry/printing by both sales reps and customers).  

We might be able to add something like this.

Quote:
2)  Tableview wordwrap:  I'd like tableview to allow each line's row height to grow specific to the needs of the wordiest field in that line.

Again, pretty doable.

Quote:
3)  Tableview color coding:  data color coded from field to field based upon criteria (this brand is red text, that brand is blue text).   I was trying to do this a while back, and now I can't remember if it wasn't in there yet, or was in there but had a bug.

I believe Sesame2 can do this now. Look into the "On Draw" event.

Quote:
4)  Send Text messages  

There are two ways to do this, one of which is already available in Sesame2. You can use a texting service. This is a web page with a form that accepts a short message and sends it out to a recipient's phone. Such services can also receive messages for subscribers. Sesame2 can use this sort of service using the HTTP commands in SBasic. The other way is to actually connect a phone to the computer and use it like a text message modem, by sending "AT" commands to the phone through its serial (USB) port. The phone then sends the message. In either case, there needs to be some way for Sesame to "talk" to the cell network.

Quote:
5)  Smart phone remote client ability

This is easily the hardest request you have requested. There are some small handheld devices that run intel compatible code for either Windows or Linux that will run Sesame, and may double as phones. In fact, a handful of people on this forum have such devices and have run Sesame on them, though I don't know if they are or can be used as phones.

Rewriting Sesame to run on iOS (which requires a rewrite into Objective-C) or on Android (which requires a rewrite in Java) is a goal I would love to take up, but it is very daunting. Perhaps a somewhat less functional mini-client may be pretty doable. Of course, with the free API and a fairly simple requirement set, getting Sesame data on an Android phone would be easy. And there are a number of VNC that allow you to "run" Sesame on your phone now, at least as far as the screen and keyboard are concerned.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 6:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Sep 23rd, 2011 at 3:52am:
5)  Smart phone remote client ability

Here is Sesame running in VNC on a HTC Inspire smartphone running Android:

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Sesame 3 Feature Requests
Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 9:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Look cool!! Are we going to implement this in Sesame 3?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 9:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Sep 23rd, 2011 at 9:07pm:
Look cool!! Are we going to implement this in Sesame 3?

You can do it right now with Sesame 2. We started a VNC server on one of our boxes. I then connected to it with the free VNC client on my phone (androidVNC). At that point, I had control of the computer and could run Sesame as if I was sitting at the keyboard.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 3:53am
Print Post Print Post  
Inputting data on a remote client (offsite) and printing that record to a printer available to the host Sesame server would be fantastically useful (to my sphere, anyway).  And the field wordwrap ability in tableview form also would give (me, anyway) tremendous flexibility with product - services description field issues.

You guys are magic!

Larry
IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 8:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Sep 24th, 2011 at 3:53am:
Inputting data on a remote client (offsite) and printing that record to a printer available to the host Sesame server would be fantastically useful (to my sphere, anyway).  And the field wordwrap ability in tableview form also would give (me, anyway) tremendous flexibility with product - services description field issues.

It's not cross-platform and there are some security issues, but look into Windows Live Mesh.  I don't know whether you can have multiple simultaneous logons onto a server, and the remote user has to run either Vista/Win 7 or MSIE.  Mesh does not require any pinholes, etc., on the router.

IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 12:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Anything that improves report creation would be great.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 1:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Acebanner wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 12:02pm:

Sesame 3 has a completely redesigned super-easy-to-use WYSIWYG report designer.

- Hammer
IP Logged

waldingrl

Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 2:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Stemming from the other thread, as someone new to Sesame and currently working to get up to speed with it and convert our existing Q&A databases, it would be great to see demo videos maybe even added to the help menu. Or a demo video "quick start" guide.  It all seems so overwhemling right now, since I've been working in Q&A for so long, but I'm sure once I get up to speed it will be great!

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #11 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 2:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
waldingrl wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 2:44pm:
Stemming from the other thread, as someone new to Sesame and currently working to get up to speed with it and convert our existing Q&A databases, it would be great to see demo videos maybe even added to the help menu. Or a demo video "quick start" guide.  It all seems so overwhemling right now, since I've been working in Q&A for so long, but I'm sure once I get up to speed it will be great!

Can you give us an idea of which tasks you think we should include in a video Quick Start Guide?

As the people who wrote this program, it is very difficult for us to not know how it works. No matter how much we want to, we can't duplicate the perspective of someone looking at Sesame for the first time. The more you can share with us about what you were looking for when you first started with Sesame, the better a job we can do of making sure it's there for the next person. We really appreciate your input and feedback.

- Hammer
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 3:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
"2 + 2 = 4" video .... the most basic building blocks:  demonstrate how to add a field from a clean slate,  how to change its properties, how to change navigation order (when it's not the only field), how to add programming to several of the field events, how to save it, and then how to reconcile the changes to the database.

Larry
IP Logged

waldingrl

Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 7:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 3:32pm:
"2 + 2 = 4" video .... the most basic building blocks:  demonstrate how to add a field from a clean slate,  how to change its properties, how to change navigation order (when it's not the only field), how to add programming to several of the field events, how to save it, and then how to reconcile the changes to the database.

Exactly this.  Right now I fell a bit overwhelmed, but to see a new database be generated from a clean slate, then adding fields and forms and then adding reports, etc.. Also maybe a video or two regarding Q& a conversions.  For instance I was able to get my data over no problem but I'm a bit lost on how to possibly redesign it from this point.  I'd be glad to let you know what my "trouble spots" are as I encounter them.  I'm working slowly on this though as I have a few other pressing work issues at this time.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #14 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 8:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
waldingrl wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 7:48pm:
Exactly this.  Right now I fell a bit overwhelmed, but to see a new database be generated from a clean slate, then adding fields and forms and then adding reports, etc.. Also maybe a video or two regarding Q& a conversions.  For instance I was able to get my data over no problem but I'm a bit lost on how to possibly redesign it from this point.  I'd be glad to let you know what my "trouble spots" are as I encounter them.  I'm working slowly on this though as I have a few other pressing work issues at this time.

Thanks for the input! In the meantime, this might help - http://www.lantica.com/Support/kb/article/000147

- Hammer
IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #15 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 10:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Regarding QA conversions, the idea is indeed pretty intimidating. But I found that if you literally follow the translation guide step-by-step, it's quite easy--MUCH easier than it sounds. Frankly, I think a video would be more of a hindrance than a help. One problem is "cleansing" all the data in QA.  (And some of our data IS incorrect--when the owner needed to differentiate certain records, she simply added the word LIEN to the dollar-amount money field.)

I had "images" of all sorts of trashed data that would require massive back-end reworking in Sesame.  The first time I did the conversion it did screw up--when I used the "Replace double-quotes in this field with back-apostrophes" code, I used the same code in multiple fields, which put the "cleansed" content of Text Field 1 in about 8 different fields, and I didn't notice it immediately. (I had realized before running the update that I needed to change the code but simply forgot.)

I found it helped to write out each step as I did it.  If you aren't familiar with QA conversions, expect that you'll have to do them 3-4 times to catch all the minor data errors, etc, Written custom step-by-step instructions speed things up. A video would have to deal primarily with what to do in the QA-4 and QA-5 stage.

IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #16 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 11:52am
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 1:01pm:
Acebanner wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 12:02pm:

Sesame 3 has a completely redesigned super-easy-to-use WYSIWYG report designer.

Awesomeness. Screen captures any time soon?  Smiley

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #17 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 12:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Acebanner wrote on Sep 27th, 2011 at 11:52am:
Awesomeness. Screen captures any time soon?  Smiley

http://www.lantica.com/Forum3/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1309958825/32#32

- Hammer
IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #18 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 2:43am
Print Post Print Post  
A video of how to do a mass update. This would be particularly relevant to people converting from Q&A. For instance, when our QA program was written around 1998 all our clients were in Texas.  We now have a substantial number of accounts from out of state but only about 3-4 clients per state in Oklahoma and Arkansas. After converting from Q&A we would want to add a State field and then do a mass update: State = "Texas" If Client contains "XYZ" then State = "Arkansas"; If Client contains "ABC" then State = "Oklahoma"

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #19 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 3:00am
Print Post Print Post  
Some way to lock source code and/or database structure to prevent them from being displayed or being changed. For one thing, that would make it a lot easier for developers to provide "off-the-shelf" solutions using Sesame.

Related to that could be a new lower cost license that does not allow changing the source code or database structure, e.g., a regular 3-seat server license and "can't see code" licenses in the $25-50 per seat range.  You might even disable Mass Update for those. Chances are anyone using a "can't see code" license probably shouldn't be screwing with programming code anyway.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #20 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 7:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
A nice future developers tool for a future version might be a button (or right click option) that turns all the element labels on a form temporarily to the element name. I find I use the F5 feature to Identify the real Element Name constantly when working in Sbasic or modifying Sbasic code. It would be really nice to have a quick visual in designer to see the underlying Element name. I have made some subroutines that use sbasic to rename all the labels to the element name (ran in realtime app or Sdesigner preview) and then I print screen, but it is not very clean and not as efficient as what it could be in designer.

Just a wishful tool to add to the Best, Already the Most USER FRIENDLY, product of Its kind!

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #21 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 9:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
BOBSCOTT wrote on Sep 28th, 2011 at 7:04pm:
A nice future developers tool for a future version might be a button (or right click option) that turns all the element labels on a form temporarily to the element name.

Definitely would be quite useful.

IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #22 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 2:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Rick_R wrote on Sep 28th, 2011 at 9:11pm:
A nice future developers tool for a future version might be a button (or right click option) that turns all the element labels on a form temporarily to the element name.

Definitely would be quite useful.

That would be nice a feature.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #23 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 4:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
It would be really nice to have a quick visual in designer to see the underlying Element name.

Development has done this thing.

le_names.png (Attachment deleted)

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #24 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 4:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Great!!  Thanks.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #25 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 1:10am
Print Post Print Post  
Erika (and Mark) Smiley,

I can see where that's going to be incredibly useful. Great suggestion Robert!

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #26 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 4:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Data Exchange between different platforms and systems are vital part for any system, looking forward. Printed materials are used less and less. Up till now we were depending on CSV, ASCII, ANSI, etc. but now XML seems to be more widely used. Sesame 2.xx has some tools to deal with XML files. I would like to request more tools to prepare XML files effortlessly and tools to read and incorporate XML with Sesame data. What new do we have in terms of XML in Sesame3 so far?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #27 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 5:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Sep 30th, 2011 at 4:53pm:
Data Exchange between different platforms and systems are vital part for any system, looking forward. Printed materials are used less and less. Up till now we were depending on CSV, ASCII, ANSI, etc. but now XML seems to be more widely used. Sesame 2.xx has some tools to deal with XML files. I would like to request more tools to prepare XML files effortlessly and tools to read and incorporate XML with Sesame data. What new do we have in terms of XML in Sesame3 so far?

Sesame3 adds to Sesame2's set of XML SBasic tools with:
@XMLParseString - Like @XMLParseFile but parses a string rather than requiring a file.
@HTTPPostXML - Posts an XML query to a HTTP ("soap") server.
XMLRegisterNameSpace - Registers a name space for parsing tags.
@XMLXPath - Finds a tag/value based on its path and instance.

Are there any specific capabilities that you would like to see that are not covered by these commands and the current set in Sesame2?

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #28 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 5:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have not really worked with XML that much but now instead of ANSI file, they have been requesting XML file data submission for  medical bills, prescriptions, medical records, various requests, etc.  So I think, any tools that help to prepare XML file from sesame data with ease and ability to read and incorporate incoming XML file (that parsing) will be very useful.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #29 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 5:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Sep 30th, 2011 at 5:22pm:
I have not really worked with XML that much but now instead of ANSI file, they have been requesting XML file data submission for  medical bills, prescriptions, medical records, various requests, etc.  So I think, any tools that help to prepare XML file from sesame data with ease and ability to read and incorporate incoming XML file (that parsing) will be very useful.

Creating your own XML files is actually really easy. They're just ASCII, so all you need is the existing File I/O commands.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #30 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 7:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Whatever tools you can provide to facilitate XML file creation and parsing with ease will be extremely useful going forward. Are there other users who have input about XML use and commands related to XML in Sesame?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #31 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 7:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
@Bharat: Here is a sanitized example of assembling xml. You can write the resulting string to a file or whatever you need to do with it.

Code
Select All
xml_request = "<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>"
+ @nl() + "<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv=" + @chr(34) + "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" + @chr(34) + " xmlns:urn=" + @chr(34) + "urn:networksolutions:apis" + @chr(34) + ">"
+ @nl() + "   <soapenv:Header>"
+ @nl() + "      <urn:SecurityCredential>"
+ @nl() + "         <urn:Application>redacted</urn:Application>"
+ @nl() + "         <urn:Certificate>redacted</urn:Certificate>"
+ @nl() + "         <urn:UserToken>redacted</urn:UserToken>"
+ @nl() + "      </urn:SecurityCredential>"
+ @nl() + "   </soapenv:Header>"
+ @nl() + "   <soapenv:Body>"
+ @nl() + "      <urn:ReadOrderRequest>"
+ @nl() + "         <urn:DetailSize>Large</urn:DetailSize>"
+ @nl() + "         <urn:FilterList OrClause=" + @chr(34) + "0" + @chr(34) + ">"
+ @nl() + "            <urn:Field>OrderNumber</urn:Field>"
+ @nl() + "            <urn:Operator>Equal</urn:Operator>"
+ @nl() + "            <urn:ValueList>" + OrderNumber + "</urn:ValueList>"
+ @nl() + "         </urn:FilterList>"
+ @nl() + "      </urn:ReadOrderRequest>"
+ @nl() + "   </soapenv:Body>"
+ @nl() + "</soapenv:Envelope>"
+ @nl()  

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #32 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 8:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Erika for giving concrete example of assembling XML file with SBasic.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #33 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 12:24am
Print Post Print Post  
Another really handy helper for new users (and the rest of us) would be the addition to the list browser of a Commands sorted by use option. What I mean by this is.

I love the right click feature in Sbasic to select an element or find a command. I use this feature often, however I am constantly going to the manual and looking in the section that sorts the commands by use. I often know the command exists but you have given us so many incredible commands that I sometimes find it difficult to remember the exact one I want.  When I use the list browser I end up reading through the entire list just to be sure I am not skipping a better one to use. In the manual the way you have the sorted list section, I just look for the section called "user interaction or whatever I may need at the moment" and read those commands and move along quickly back to my Sbasic Code.

I will admit, repeatedly reading the entire command list helps me to be a better Sesame Sbasic user in the long term, however it may be a bit overwhelming for someone new to Sesame.

Again, not a necessary need, but figured I would put it out there anyway.

Thanks for listening to us users!

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #34 - Oct 3rd, 2011 at 2:35am
Print Post Print Post  
BOBSCOTT wrote on Oct 2nd, 2011 at 12:24am:
Another really handy helper for new users (and the rest of us) would be the addition to the list browser of a Commands sorted by use option.

Actually, this ties in with my suggestion to have bookmarks and an embedded index in the PDF of the SBasic manual. With bookmarks it's easy to jump to the "Commands by category" section and with an embedded index search results are basically instantaneous no matter how large the PDF is.  Just keep the manual open in Adobe Reader. Once you know the name of the command you want it's easy to select it from the list.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #35 - Oct 3rd, 2011 at 2:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Rick_R wrote on Oct 3rd, 2011 at 2:35am:
Actually, this ties in with my suggestion to have bookmarks and an embedded index in the PDF of the SBasic manual. With bookmarks it's easy to jump to the "Commands by category" section and with an embedded index search results are basically instantaneous no matter how large the PDF is.  Just keep the manual open in Adobe Reader. Once you know the name of the command you want it's easy to select it from the list.

Set up either a keystroke or right-click option that will select the program code the cursor is currently on, figure out which SBasic command or function it's using and search for or jump to that in the SBasic PDF manual in a PDF reader. (Either use an API to Adobe Reader or create a standalone reader based on code available under GNU or similar terms.)

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #36 - Oct 3rd, 2011 at 4:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Rick_R wrote on Oct 3rd, 2011 at 2:39pm:
Set up either a keystroke or right-click option that will select the program code the cursor is currently on, figure out which SBasic command or function it's using and search for or jump to that in the SBasic PDF manual in a PDF reader. (Either use an API to Adobe Reader or create a standalone reader based on code available under GNU or similar terms.)

The Programming Editor in Sesame 3 already has basically this functionality in it. You can right click in a Sbasic Function or Subroutine and on the drop down menu the choice "About this Function" will be available. Clicking on it will bring up the List Browser with that Sbasic command highlighted and the description about it showing. The information provided below in the description box is the same that appears in the Programming Manual.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #37 - Oct 3rd, 2011 at 7:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
The Programming Editor in Sesame 3 already has basically this functionality in it. You can right click in a Sbasic Function or Subroutine and on the drop down menu the choice "About this Function" will be available. Clicking on it will bring up the List Browser with that Sbasic command highlighted and the description about it showing. The information provided below in the description box is the same that appears in the Programming Manual. 

-Ray

I like this. Unless you are programming everyday, you are likely to forget the syntax. Instead of referring book every time, something right on the screen at the click of a button is the best you can ask for!

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #38 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 7:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
For date fields:

1) Ability to enter T for Today, Y for yesterday, NW for next week and the date will automatically be calculated.

I previously discussed in another thread a problem with "next month" or "one month ago".  What date is "next month" for January 30 or 31 or "one month ago" for March 30?  Although a programmer could arbitrarily pick a standard definition, there's no guarantee that users would apply the same definition.

2) Ability to set a field so it automatically picks only a weekday. The programmer has to be able to specify "move forward" or "move back". For example, for filing deadlines (court, tax, government reports, etc.) you probably would want to move back to Friday, but for sales call follow-ups you would probably prefer to move ahead to Monday.

Related to that, it could check against a table of pre-defined "special" dates such as Christmas and dates the programmer adds. For instance, years ago we went down to the state court in Houston to file something and were surprised that the courts were closed. It was a state holiday that is a legal holiday only in Texas.  (Yes, the programmer could write a "CheckHoliday(Date)" function, but this is such a common need it would be nice to just select the option when creating the field.)

IP Logged

tcgeo

Reply #39 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 1:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
How about adding the ability to select more than one element at a time in Set Navigation Order.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #40 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 3:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
tcgeo wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 1:19pm:
How about adding the ability to select more than one element at a time in Set Navigation Order.

That would be very helpful. I often need to move a group of elements around together. Right now, I need to repeatedly move one element at a time.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

tcgeo

Reply #41 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 6:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
List Browser enhancement request.

Currently when you double click on a code item in the List Browser, the code is inserted into the Program Editor like this: @XResultsetsearch()

It would be helpful to me to have the entire line including the requirements to be inserted when double clicked, like this: @XResultsetsearch(filename as string, db as string, search_mode as int, search-syntax as int, … as string) as int

This may sound petty, but for unfamiliar code I constantly find myself going back and forth from the Program Editor to the List Browser looking for the requirements.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #42 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
I agree with tcgeo for the above post, that would be helpful. Also when you search for the command in list browser, the search button seldom takes you to the command you are searching or anywhere close by. You have to move the side bar to get to the command. Please look into this. Thanks.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #43 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
tcgeo wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 6:52pm:
List Browser enhancement request.

Currently when you double click on a code item in the List Browser, the code is inserted into the Program Editor like this: @XResultsetsearch()

It would be helpful to me to have the entire line including the requirements to be inserted when double clicked, like this: @XResultsetsearch(filename as string, db as string, search_mode as int, search-syntax as int, … as string) as int

This may sound petty, but for unfamiliar code I constantly find myself going back and forth from the Program Editor to the List Browser looking for the requirements.

We may be able to do something along these lines. I'd like it to be in addition to the current insertion, so that folk that prefer to simply fill in the arguments can, without having to delete the other material (i.e.: "as string", sample element/variable names, etc).

In the meantime, are you aware that you can leave the list browser up on the screen while you type in the programming editor? You don't have to go back and forth.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #44 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:09pm:
.... Also when you search for the command in list browser, the search button seldom takes you to the command you are searching or anywhere close by. You have to move the side bar to get to the command. Please look into this. Thanks.

Hello Bharat,

I am not sure what you mean by seldom takes you to the command you are searching for? Is it not scrolling properly or highlighting a command you don't want it to?

The Search in the List browser searches both the Description and the function names so the first result may be a related command or contain an example of the command you are looking for. But if you keep pressing search, you'll move to the next result and so on until you wrap around.

PS. What I normally do in the list browser is when I bring it up I just type the first few characters of what I'm looking for. So if I'm looking for XLookup() I just type 'xlo' and the list browse scrolls down to the first command starting with 'xlo'.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #45 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Ray for clarification. I see now that search is also searching in the description part of the commands and functions,  one might have to press search button a few more times but it is extensive search. This is fine and better.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #46 - Oct 14th, 2011 at 3:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
The Cow wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:15pm:
We may be able to do something along these lines. I'd like it to be in addition to the current insertion, so that folk that prefer to simply fill in the arguments can, without having to delete the other material (i.e.: "as string", sample element/variable names, etc).

Probably the best way to handle that would be a Preferences setting--either the parameters for all insertions or for none, rather than, for instance, a right-click with two options.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #47 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 5:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Position of the Slate: I use slate to display some data in addition to using it to debug the program. For displaying data, I would like it to be as un-intrusive as possible. It would be nice if we can select the position of the slate using sbasic. I have also noticed that when you place the slate where you want, it retains that position when you re-open it using sbasic. What causes it to change position and when that position changes, I am not sure about.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #48 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 6:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
While working with form, I would like see element in focus to be more conspicuous. What tools can I use in Sesame 2.xx to achieve this?

Also, while working with tab pages, one has to use one tab key for cursor to take focus on the first element on that tabpage. I happen to have a subform at the top of a tabpage, and subform always has a black solid bar on the first record. Using or not using tab key visually does not cause any change but If I use F3 key in order to delete the first record of the subform and the focus is not in the first record of the subform, I end up deleting the whole record (Parent Record) before I know it. I have muted the delete message in subform using sbasic as I have to delete quite a few records of subforms while working with records.  What can I do to prevent this other than unmute to the delete message?
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2011 at 12:41am by Bharat_Naik »  

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #49 - Oct 15th, 2011 at 10:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Oct 15th, 2011 at 5:52pm:
Position of the Slate: I use slate to display some data in addition to using it to debug the program. For displaying data, I would like it to be as un-intrusive as possible. It would be nice if we can select the position of the slate using sbasic. I have also noticed that when you place the slate where you want, it retains that position when you re-open it using sbasic. What causes it to change position and when that position changes, I am not sure about.

The slate, like all fully qualified (i.e.: having a window title bar with icons) windows, is placed by the Desktop, not the client application. But, since you can have only one slate, once Sesame makes that first slate window, it isn't re-made, and simply appears and disappears, retaining its position.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #50 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 3:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm with Bharat; the WriteLn window (slate) is a great tool for displaying info to the user.

I would love to see it become more powerful; display hyperlinks/html, have more memory to display more data, give it some basic editing tools, etc.

Perhaps keep the slate as-is and add a new 'html_popup' editor option.

Just my .02 cents.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #51 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 12:32am
Print Post Print Post  
@Calendar ( ) is a sBasic popup, just like @PopupMenu ( ) and @PopupChoiceList (). But as far as I know, @Calendar ( ) does not take the position just as opposed to the other two with @SelectPopUpPosition ( ) command. Can we have @Calendar () respect and obey @SelectPopUPPosition ( ) command?
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2011 at 1:05pm by Bharat_Naik »  

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #52 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 1:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Srikeout text as opposed to deleting the record:
Sometimes, we cancel the prescription or change it. It would be nice to see it being strikeout instead of removing the record for the record keeping and tracking purpose. I do not know how it could be implemented but it would be nice if this could be accomplished some kind of way.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #53 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 3:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Oct 19th, 2011 at 1:03pm:
Srikeout text as opposed to deleting the record:
Sometimes, we cancel the prescription or change it. It would be nice to see it being strikeout 

Bharat,

If I understand your comment correctly you want to show text as "changed or no longer valid". I have my scripts (prescriptions) held as subrecords. I use a status field to represent different liter flows and based on that status I use the Attribute() and ForceRedraw() commands to change the text color.

I bet you could do something similar using Attribute() and  ForceRedraw() to modify the font to a strikethrough font rather then my changing colors.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #54 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 6:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Robert for feedback. I also use prescription as subform. I do change color in various elements as needed to highlight and raise a red flag. Unfortunately, that would not show up in the printed material or pdf file when we have to reproduce the record.

Changing Attribute to make it strikethrough font might just do. When printed out or while making pdf file (using printstring commands), hopefully retain the the strikethrough property. I will look into it and report back for more guidance as needed. Thanks.

IP Logged

tcgeo

Reply #55 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 2:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
In the Program Editor, for the Element drop down, it would be very helpful to be able to insert the element name of your choice into your cursor location, maybe via a right click option? Also, quite often when writing code, I can’t remember the exact name of a form element located in another form.  I then have to open, or leave open, the other form to find out what the names are.  It would be extremely helpful to have the elements from all the other forms in your application, accessible from any Program Editor, broken down by the forms, available as choices as well. Am I asking for too much here, LOL?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #56 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 4:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Not asking too much, but much of what you are asking for is already there. In the programming editor, right click and select "List Browser" from the popup menu. From the list browser, select the "Switch" button and you will toggle through:

SBasic Commands
Element Names
Font Names
Menu Tree Items

Once the elements names are displayed, double click on one of them and it will be inserted at the current cursor position.

As to adding all of the elements from all the other forms - I'll look into how hard that'll be.

IP Logged

tcgeo

Reply #57 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 5:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Isn't that something! I've probably gone to SBasic Commands and Menu Tree Items a million times, and have blown by Element Names not even considering what it's purpose was!  Thanks for pointing that out and looking in to the rest of it for us Mark!

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #58 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 6:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
You're welcome. Keep the suggestions coming!

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #59 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 6:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
@Calendar ( ) is a sBasic popup, just like @PopupMenu ( ) and @PopupChoiceList (). But as far as I know, @Calendar ( ) does not take the position just as opposed to the other two with @SelectPopUpPosition ( ) command. Can we have @Calendar () respect and obey @SelectPopUPPosition ( ) command?

Any thoughts on this?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #60 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 7:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Nov 2nd, 2011 at 6:38pm:
Quote:

Any thoughts on this?

Considering... Ok, done.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #61 - Nov 12th, 2011 at 3:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Any chance of a two-pass compiler or similar approach?

I generally like to lay out programs in this sequence, which doesn't work with a one-pass compiler:

// Start by defining high-level activities, then define the sub-sections later.

// Setup info, get initial input, etc.

Call SetVars
Call GetInitialInput
Call ProcessData
Call PrepareOutput
Call Cleanup
Exit

==================
procedure/function1 // e.g., define variables
end proc/func

Proc/Func2
end proc/func2

Proc/Func3
end proc/func3

====================

As an alternative, WordPerfect Macro Language (which is a full-featured structured programing language) has a "Procedure Prototype" command.  Near the top you just specify the name of the procedure or function and the parameters and return value type.  That way the compiler knows what to expect, so it doesn't give an "undefined procedure/function" error when compiling.

Let's say you had a "DoubleInput" function:

Function Prototype DoubleInput(NumVal as Binary) as Binary

... Rest of the main program ...

Function DoubleInput(NumVal as Binary) as Binary
       Return 2 * NumVal
End Function

========================

One advantage of the Prototype approach is it gives you a neat "table of contents" of procedures and functions near the top, since the prototype definition should only take one line.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #62 - Nov 12th, 2011 at 3:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
One of the following (or both and the programmer gets to set which one):

1) End subroutine, End procedure and End Function require the subroutine/procedure/function name.

This makes it easier to figure out where you are in a long program, particularly with s/p/f's that span more than one page.

2) If a line begins with End subroutine, End procedure, or End function, everything after that is ignored.

This would allow "End Procedure MyProc" without needing to have MyProc commented out.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #63 - Nov 13th, 2011 at 5:06am
Print Post Print Post  
Rick_R wrote on Nov 12th, 2011 at 3:12pm:
One of the following (or both and the programmer gets to set which one):

1) End subroutine, End procedure and End Function require the subroutine/procedure/function name.

This makes it easier to figure out where you are in a long program, particularly with s/p/f's that span more than one page.

2) If a line begins with End subroutine, End procedure, or End function, everything after that is ignored.

This would allow "End Procedure MyProc" without needing to have MyProc commented out.

You can, of course, follow the "end subroutine" or "end function" statements with a comment on the same line.

Code
Select All
function my_func()
   do_stuff()
   do_more_stuff()
end function // my_func()

If you are otherwise losing the end of your subroutines or functions, I'd recommend very careful indenting, where the content of every routine is indented a consistent amount, as well as the content of each conditional. The examples in K&R use the following three formats. It is wise to pick one and use it consistently (I prefer the first):
Code
Select All
   if(name = "john")
   {
      do_something()   
   }

Code
Select All
   if(name = "john") {
      do_something()   
   }

Code
Select All
   if(name = "john")
      {
      do_something()   
      }

If the problem is merely the length of a routine, repartitioning your code into smaller routines is strongly recommended. Unless there is a functional imperative toward a contiguous routine (like a conditional with many "else if" conditions), I'd generally recommend that no routine ever exceed 30 lines of code, with only one full statement per line.

There is a no functional advantage in SBasic to resort to code packing.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #64 - Nov 18th, 2011 at 11:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
In-line If:

x = iif(a > b, ValIfTrue, ValIfFalse)

I have set up a bunch of functions like that but it requires one for IfDate ..., another for IfString ..., etc. The languages I have seen with an iif function automatically determine the data type and return the correct type. Of course, you can't use x = iif( comparison, IntegerIfTrue, DateIfFalse)

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #65 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 12:02am
Print Post Print Post  
In-line select:

x = Select(position, Val_1, Val_2, Val_3 ...)

"Position" would have to evaluate to a number. I think the most I have seen for these is around 10 choices. I would think a minimum of 7 (for days of the week) up to possibly 12 (for months).  Like in-line if, one function could be used regardless of the data type being returned.

For instance:

Gender = Select(Position, "Male", "Female", "Unknown", "Multiple")

The last one isn't a joke.  In veterinary medicine the "gender" of a litter is "multiple".

And the Swahili language has six genders including "rock" and "knife", but we won't get into that ...

(... Since I know everyone will ask  Smiley ... In grammar, "gender" means "type".  The "rock" "gender" means words that take the same grammatical forms that the word "rock" uses, etc. English is one of only a few languages where the gender of a noun is normally the same as the gender of the actual item.)

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #66 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 5:39am
Print Post Print Post  
Code
Select All
Gender = @AccessStringArray("Male;Female;Unknown;Multiple", position)

if you are fond of term "select", you could:
Code
Select All
#define @select @AccessStringArray

var aa as int

aa = @select("1;2;3;4", 3)
writeln(aa)

...or use an array:
Code
Select All
var aa as array[3] of string

aa[1] = "Girl"
aa[2] = "Boy"
aa[3] = "Undetermined"

bb = aa[position]

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #67 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 8:02am
Print Post Print Post  
The purpose of in-line select (or, alternatively, "case" or "switch", depending on the language) and in-line if is to avoid having to write custom procedures, create arrays, etc., where you simply want to say "Based on the contents of this variable (or logical evaluation), return this value." For instance, say you wanted to return the name of the day in Spanish.  Yes, you could write an array, or a multi-line If comparison, etc., but it would be a lot easier to just have DayName = Select(DOW, "Domingo", "Lunes", "Martes", "Miercoles", etc.)

As I mentioned, I have written a set of "in-line if" functions, but it requires a separate one for each data type:

IifStr() String -  in-line if returns first string if condition is true, else second

IifChar() Char - in-line if returns first character if condition is true, else second (etc.)
     IifDate()
     IifTime()
     IifInt()
     IifDouble()
     IifMoney()

FoxPro has both and it makes programming much easier.  Often something can be done with a single line of code interactively that requires an entire subroutine in most other languages--often just because they lack an in-line if or an in-line select function, so a full-blown CASE A ... CASE B ... DEFAULT ... END CASE structure has to be used.

Whether it is in-line if or in-line select, they shouldn't be just for strings, e.g., Bonus = Select(YearsOfService, 200, 500, 1000, 1500) or whatever.

... And for that example, you would probably want to nest an in-line if so that:

Bonus = Select(iif(YearsOfService < 4, YearsOfService, 4), 200, 500, 1000, 1500)

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #68 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 2:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
We understand what these constructs are for, Rick. We do speak a programming language or two around here.   Wink

Mark was just letting you know that you do have some current options, if this is something you need in Sesame 2.

- Hammer
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #69 - Nov 19th, 2011 at 5:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Nov 19th, 2011 at 2:27pm:
We do speak a programming language or two around here.   Wink

That's funny.  You all speak lots of languages.

Back in the dark ages when I was young my parents asked a school counselor if I should be taking a foreign language,

They said "your sons English is a foreign language". Heck I was from Brooklyn!

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #70 - Nov 27th, 2011 at 2:49am
Print Post Print Post  
Is there anyway, we can make the Element and/or Label to blink using sBasic to draw the user's attention as required in Sesame3? Is it possible to do the name in Sesame2.xx without using RunEntryOnInterval ( )?

IP Logged

tcgeo

Reply #71 - Dec 30th, 2011 at 3:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Two things;

1.      When running a Quick Report, how about an option to print row and column lines like a spread sheet, when desired, along with the capability to select the color of the lines.

2.      When you press the Delete Record button you currently receive these warnings, “Do you want to permanently delete this [form name] record?” Or, “Do you want to permanently delete this SUBFORM [form name] record?”  Could it be enhanced to include PARENT [form name] record & TAB PAGE [form name] record” - and also have PARENT, SUBFORM and TAB PAGE show in different bolded colors?

IP Logged

laurie

Reply #72 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 10:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
how about the ability to copy records from one database to another like we could in q&a.  i run a vending company and would have 2 seperate databases one with current customers and then when customer cancelled would then copy the info to a inactive database then i would delete from the current database.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #73 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 10:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
laurie wrote on Jan 5th, 2012 at 10:30pm:
how about the ability to copy records from one database to another like we could in q&a.  i run a vending company and would have 2 seperate databases one with current customers and then when customer cancelled would then copy the info to a inactive database then i would delete from the current database.

You can copy records between two databases in the same application. To copy to a different application, export from one and import into the other.

In general though, to avoid having the two applications get out of synch with one another, we tend to put a checkbox on the form for Active and uncheck it to make a client inactive. This keeps the records in synch and provides more flexibility with reports. Just my 2 cents.  Smiley

- Hammer
IP Logged

laurie

Reply #74 - Jan 5th, 2012 at 10:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
i dont do reports of the customer information but what i do is reuse the account numbers. 

will look into the export/import my needs are very small regarding what i need to do and sesame is so much more then q&a

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #75 - Jan 9th, 2012 at 11:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Small request...

Users would like to be able to copy text in a read-only field. Highlighting the text to copy is not allowed when the record is set to read-only.

Also, somewhat related; if scroll bars could operate on a locked record, it would be nice.

As always, thanks for listening.

IP Logged

debmckee

Wish list for Sesame 3
Reply #76 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 8:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Not sure if anyone else has said this or wants this, but the ability to edit and do full reports from the program instead of having to go to designer.  I do a lot of reports that sometimes are changed just slightly and I don't want to have save all of them.  In Q&A I would just edit, print and not save.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #77 - Feb 16th, 2012 at 10:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
The last 1 Posts were moved here from Lantica Discussion [move by] Hammer.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #78 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 1:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Jan 9th, 2012 at 11:34pm:
Small request...

Users would like to be able to copy text in a read-only field. Highlighting the text to copy is not allowed when the record is set to read-only.

Also, somewhat related; if scroll bars could operate on a locked record, it would be nice.

Yeah, that would be a really nice feature. Seconded.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Wish list for Sesame 3
Reply #79 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 3:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
debmckee wrote on Feb 16th, 2012 at 8:39pm:
Not sure if anyone else has said this or wants this, but the ability to edit and do full reports from the program instead of having to go to designer.  I do a lot of reports that sometimes are changed just slightly and I don't want to have save all of them.  In Q&A I would just edit, print and not save. 

What sort of slight changes are you making?

- Hammer
IP Logged

debmckee

Reply #80 - Feb 17th, 2012 at 3:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sometimes I will change a break point or the placement of a column or make a column invisible or visible......Or even add a quick derived column.  But these changes are  are used rarely so I don't want to bother saving them.  I have a full feature report that I have set up with nice headings, columns, etc. that I just tweak once in awhile.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #81 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 10:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm looking forward to the proposed HTML WriteLN window in Sesame 3. If we can also have an HTML viewer as a bound text box that can be added to a form as an LE, it would be fantastic.

Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #82 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 10:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Feb 27th, 2012 at 10:03pm:
I'm looking forward to the proposed HTML WriteLN window in Sesame 3. If we can also have an HTML viewer as a bound text box that can be added to a form as an LE, it would be fantastic.

Sesame 3 Static text boxes can already do this, Steve. You can display bound HTML in a static.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #83 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 10:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
You're always a few steps ahead of us! Wink

Looking forward to using them as an HTML report viewer and for parsing .html files from 3rd parties.

Thank you!

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #84 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 2:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Feb 27th, 2012 at 10:17pm:
Looking forward to using them as an HTML report viewer and for parsing .html files from 3rd parties.

You may have limited success with that, Steve. it's meant for very simple HTML. It's not a full rendering engine. It doesn't support CSS or that sort of thing. If you have complex HTML, use your browser - that's what it's for.

However, Sesame's HTML Viewer can do one thing your browser can't. It can run SBasic when you click a link. Turn your creativity in that direction instead.  Smiley

- Hammer
IP Logged

tcgeo

Reply #85 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 1:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
I couldn’t find where this has been requested before, so please forgive me if it has been…

Quite often a client, after having their database for a while, will call and ask me to put a new field in the database. So, in my cocky haste I add the new field, reconcile, and the customer is happy. Then, a bit later, I get a phone call saying every time I open the database the cursor goes to the new field rather than the field it should be going to. Of course, I then remember that when you add a new field it automatically gets placed at the top of the navigation order, you know the rest.

So, is it possible to have the new field placed in the order of where it falls within the old fields, and/ or at the bottom of the list? And, in the case of a command button, have it placed at the bottom of the navigation order rather than the top?

Thanks

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #86 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 1:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Brandon,

The new element should only go to the top of the navigation order if you have a custom navigation order set on that form. Given that the navigation is custom, I'm not sure if putting it at the bottom or roughly where it should be is the right call, as that might also be wrong spot. Which would lead to you getting a call saying that it's going to new element X right before old element Y after leaving element Z as X is in the second column and Y and Z are in the first(Can you tell I've gotten this call before?)

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

tcgeo

Reply #87 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 1:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ok, nuff said,

Are you kindly tryin to say that if I knew what I was doin, I wouldn't be having these calls, LOL?

Thanks Ray!

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #88 - Mar 22nd, 2012 at 1:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
lol Nope. I'm saying I've gotten those calls too having done the exact same thing myself.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

tcgeo

Reply #89 - Apr 2nd, 2012 at 7:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Advanced Element Selector

Action = New Selection
Select By = Element Name & Bound To Name

When the Name arrow is selected, is it possible to make the list scrollable via mouse wheel?

Also, in the case of using several tabs, is it possible to have an indication popup detailing which tab the LE is on.

Or, have it make the tab the LE is on the currently viewed tab?

IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: Sesame 3 Feature Requests - Loose Date data type
Reply #90 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 6:58am
Print Post Print Post  
A "loose date" data type.  This is commonly needed in databases that deal with historical or prospective date information that requires accuracy even if that accuracy is only approximate. For instance, if the best you know is "approximately March 1985", you can't put "15 Mar 1985", since that would give the false impression you know the exact date.

The problem with using a string field for such data is that you can't perform any date math. Databases that need this data type are litigation databases, historical databases, authors' research notes, genealogy, collections of newspaper and similar articles, photo collections.

Common formats and how they would generally be treated for date-math purposes are as follows:

Note Entry Meaning Treat as
(1) Abt/ca/approx May 1928 Available information produces an approximate date 1 May 1928
(2) est 1928 / est May 1928 Estimate based on general information 1 May 1928
-- 29 Feb 1921 / 31 Mar 2002 Project rules require "enter as written" nearest valid prior date, here 28 Feb or 30 Mar
-- May 1928 Sometime in May 1 May 1928
(3) bef May 1928 Before May 1928 30 Apr 1928 (or 1 May 1928)
-- poss/prob May 1928 Possibly, probably May 1928 1 May 1928
-- May 1928 ? / May 1928(?) Possibly, probably May 1928 1 May 1928
(3) aft May 1928 After May 1928 1 June 1928 (or 31 May 1928)
-- 7-10 May 1928 The period May 7 thru May 10 7 May 1928
-- 1928 Sometime in 1928 1 Jan 1928

Notes:

(1) Often available information produces an approximate date.  For instance, census records on a specific date often include the subject's age, which allows calculating an "about" birth year.

(2) The difference between "about" and "est[imate]" is that an estimate uses general, not specific information. For instance, if someone is born in 1950, their parents probably were in their early 20's, so an estimate would be that the parents were born around 1927. With life expectancy being around 72 (using a common genealogy approximation), the parents probably died around 1999.

"About/ca" basically says, "I don't know the exact value but available information specific to this case lets me set some likely limits." "Estimate" basically says, "This is an educated guess based on general information."

(3) Because by the approximate nature of the input data the result can only be approximate, oftentimes a "before" or "after" is ignored. For instance, when Ancestry.com calculates age, "bef May 1928" will be treated as "May 1928", not "Apr 1928".

As you can see, for date math with a "loose date" the basic rule is, "If a date isn't specified, use the first day of the month/year." The exception would be "before" or "after".  Also, there is a fairly limited number of widely-accepted qualifiers, so parsing for those would not be overly complex:

• abt / about (I have only seen "abt" used on Ancestry.)
  • aft / after
  • approx / approximately
  • bef / before
  • ca / circa
  • poss / possibly
  • prob / probably
  • ? / (?)

Although the field can take other text, any other text (such as "maybe", "unk" or "tbd" for "to be determined") produces an error in date math--not a crash, but something like ########.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #91 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 7:08am
Print Post Print Post  
Regarding the above, some people treat "May 1928" as 15 May 1928 on the theory that at most they'll be off half a month rather than a whole month, and the same with treating "1928" as 1 July 1928.

Whether it is treated as day 1 of the month or mid-month/mid-year wouldn't really matter, since the user would realize that calculations must be only approximate.

IP Logged

BSGCBS
Lanticans

No personal text

Reply #92 - Jul 4th, 2012 at 12:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Let me 2nd the loose data type request.  I use a Sesame database to track historical research and a date field as described would be invaluable.  The same would be true for my law firm's case management application.  Having said that, the idea has gotten me thinking (a dangerous and not so valuable event).  For now, I think it might be possible to mirror a loose data function by having a "shadow" date field incorporate infomation from a text field that is populated by dropdowns or @calendar plus a text dropdown with the appropriate prefix. Whatever is entered would then be parsed by programming and entered into the strict date field from which all sorting is done. 

IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: Sesame 3 Feature Requests - Loose Date
Reply #93 - Jul 11th, 2012 at 7:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Although these come under the general category "historical" (or prospective historical) databases, here are some other types of databases that can benefit from a "loose date" data type:

Medical insurance databases where "Date of Services" is often several days.

Insurance adjuster databases where car rentals, temporary lodging, temporary office space, temporary office help, etc., routinely cover a period.  The actual final payment database would have precise start and end dates, but estimates would normally be approximate.  This could apply to the insurance company's outlay for its insured, but also its expenses hiring a local adjuster to go to the site.  It could also apply to a database maintained by a field adjuster.

Event planners

Construction site management

Insurance risk underwriters

Real property appraisers.  For instance, with rental property where various periods of the year are rented at different rates.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #94 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 6:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
It's great that a user can work with a batch (in Add mode) directly after importing from a text file.

If possible, being able to SORT and use Table mode on the new batch (directly after importing) would be handy.

Thanks, as always, for a great product!

Steve

IP Logged