Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sesame 3 Feature Requests (Read 26787 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Sesame 3 Feature Requests
Reply #30 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 7:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Whatever tools you can provide to facilitate XML file creation and parsing with ease will be extremely useful going forward. Are there other users who have input about XML use and commands related to XML in Sesame?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #31 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 7:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
@Bharat: Here is a sanitized example of assembling xml. You can write the resulting string to a file or whatever you need to do with it.

Code
Select All
xml_request = "<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>"
+ @nl() + "<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv=" + @chr(34) + "http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" + @chr(34) + " xmlns:urn=" + @chr(34) + "urn:networksolutions:apis" + @chr(34) + ">"
+ @nl() + "   <soapenv:Header>"
+ @nl() + "      <urn:SecurityCredential>"
+ @nl() + "         <urn:Application>redacted</urn:Application>"
+ @nl() + "         <urn:Certificate>redacted</urn:Certificate>"
+ @nl() + "         <urn:UserToken>redacted</urn:UserToken>"
+ @nl() + "      </urn:SecurityCredential>"
+ @nl() + "   </soapenv:Header>"
+ @nl() + "   <soapenv:Body>"
+ @nl() + "      <urn:ReadOrderRequest>"
+ @nl() + "         <urn:DetailSize>Large</urn:DetailSize>"
+ @nl() + "         <urn:FilterList OrClause=" + @chr(34) + "0" + @chr(34) + ">"
+ @nl() + "            <urn:Field>OrderNumber</urn:Field>"
+ @nl() + "            <urn:Operator>Equal</urn:Operator>"
+ @nl() + "            <urn:ValueList>" + OrderNumber + "</urn:ValueList>"
+ @nl() + "         </urn:FilterList>"
+ @nl() + "      </urn:ReadOrderRequest>"
+ @nl() + "   </soapenv:Body>"
+ @nl() + "</soapenv:Envelope>"
+ @nl()  

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #32 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 8:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Erika for giving concrete example of assembling XML file with SBasic.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #33 - Oct 2nd, 2011 at 12:24am
Print Post Print Post  
Another really handy helper for new users (and the rest of us) would be the addition to the list browser of a Commands sorted by use option. What I mean by this is.

I love the right click feature in Sbasic to select an element or find a command. I use this feature often, however I am constantly going to the manual and looking in the section that sorts the commands by use. I often know the command exists but you have given us so many incredible commands that I sometimes find it difficult to remember the exact one I want.  When I use the list browser I end up reading through the entire list just to be sure I am not skipping a better one to use. In the manual the way you have the sorted list section, I just look for the section called "user interaction or whatever I may need at the moment" and read those commands and move along quickly back to my Sbasic Code.

I will admit, repeatedly reading the entire command list helps me to be a better Sesame Sbasic user in the long term, however it may be a bit overwhelming for someone new to Sesame.

Again, not a necessary need, but figured I would put it out there anyway.

Thanks for listening to us users!

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #34 - Oct 3rd, 2011 at 2:35am
Print Post Print Post  
BOBSCOTT wrote on Oct 2nd, 2011 at 12:24am:
Another really handy helper for new users (and the rest of us) would be the addition to the list browser of a Commands sorted by use option.

Actually, this ties in with my suggestion to have bookmarks and an embedded index in the PDF of the SBasic manual. With bookmarks it's easy to jump to the "Commands by category" section and with an embedded index search results are basically instantaneous no matter how large the PDF is.  Just keep the manual open in Adobe Reader. Once you know the name of the command you want it's easy to select it from the list.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #35 - Oct 3rd, 2011 at 2:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Rick_R wrote on Oct 3rd, 2011 at 2:35am:
Actually, this ties in with my suggestion to have bookmarks and an embedded index in the PDF of the SBasic manual. With bookmarks it's easy to jump to the "Commands by category" section and with an embedded index search results are basically instantaneous no matter how large the PDF is.  Just keep the manual open in Adobe Reader. Once you know the name of the command you want it's easy to select it from the list.

Set up either a keystroke or right-click option that will select the program code the cursor is currently on, figure out which SBasic command or function it's using and search for or jump to that in the SBasic PDF manual in a PDF reader. (Either use an API to Adobe Reader or create a standalone reader based on code available under GNU or similar terms.)

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #36 - Oct 3rd, 2011 at 4:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Rick_R wrote on Oct 3rd, 2011 at 2:39pm:
Set up either a keystroke or right-click option that will select the program code the cursor is currently on, figure out which SBasic command or function it's using and search for or jump to that in the SBasic PDF manual in a PDF reader. (Either use an API to Adobe Reader or create a standalone reader based on code available under GNU or similar terms.)

The Programming Editor in Sesame 3 already has basically this functionality in it. You can right click in a Sbasic Function or Subroutine and on the drop down menu the choice "About this Function" will be available. Clicking on it will bring up the List Browser with that Sbasic command highlighted and the description about it showing. The information provided below in the description box is the same that appears in the Programming Manual.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #37 - Oct 3rd, 2011 at 7:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
The Programming Editor in Sesame 3 already has basically this functionality in it. You can right click in a Sbasic Function or Subroutine and on the drop down menu the choice "About this Function" will be available. Clicking on it will bring up the List Browser with that Sbasic command highlighted and the description about it showing. The information provided below in the description box is the same that appears in the Programming Manual. 

-Ray

I like this. Unless you are programming everyday, you are likely to forget the syntax. Instead of referring book every time, something right on the screen at the click of a button is the best you can ask for!

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #38 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 7:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
For date fields:

1) Ability to enter T for Today, Y for yesterday, NW for next week and the date will automatically be calculated.

I previously discussed in another thread a problem with "next month" or "one month ago".  What date is "next month" for January 30 or 31 or "one month ago" for March 30?  Although a programmer could arbitrarily pick a standard definition, there's no guarantee that users would apply the same definition.

2) Ability to set a field so it automatically picks only a weekday. The programmer has to be able to specify "move forward" or "move back". For example, for filing deadlines (court, tax, government reports, etc.) you probably would want to move back to Friday, but for sales call follow-ups you would probably prefer to move ahead to Monday.

Related to that, it could check against a table of pre-defined "special" dates such as Christmas and dates the programmer adds. For instance, years ago we went down to the state court in Houston to file something and were surprised that the courts were closed. It was a state holiday that is a legal holiday only in Texas.  (Yes, the programmer could write a "CheckHoliday(Date)" function, but this is such a common need it would be nice to just select the option when creating the field.)

IP Logged

tcgeo

Reply #39 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 1:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
How about adding the ability to select more than one element at a time in Set Navigation Order.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #40 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 3:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
tcgeo wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 1:19pm:
How about adding the ability to select more than one element at a time in Set Navigation Order.

That would be very helpful. I often need to move a group of elements around together. Right now, I need to repeatedly move one element at a time.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

tcgeo

Reply #41 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 6:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
List Browser enhancement request.

Currently when you double click on a code item in the List Browser, the code is inserted into the Program Editor like this: @XResultsetsearch()

It would be helpful to me to have the entire line including the requirements to be inserted when double clicked, like this: @XResultsetsearch(filename as string, db as string, search_mode as int, search-syntax as int, … as string) as int

This may sound petty, but for unfamiliar code I constantly find myself going back and forth from the Program Editor to the List Browser looking for the requirements.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #42 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
I agree with tcgeo for the above post, that would be helpful. Also when you search for the command in list browser, the search button seldom takes you to the command you are searching or anywhere close by. You have to move the side bar to get to the command. Please look into this. Thanks.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #43 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
tcgeo wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 6:52pm:
List Browser enhancement request.

Currently when you double click on a code item in the List Browser, the code is inserted into the Program Editor like this: @XResultsetsearch()

It would be helpful to me to have the entire line including the requirements to be inserted when double clicked, like this: @XResultsetsearch(filename as string, db as string, search_mode as int, search-syntax as int, … as string) as int

This may sound petty, but for unfamiliar code I constantly find myself going back and forth from the Program Editor to the List Browser looking for the requirements.

We may be able to do something along these lines. I'd like it to be in addition to the current insertion, so that folk that prefer to simply fill in the arguments can, without having to delete the other material (i.e.: "as string", sample element/variable names, etc).

In the meantime, are you aware that you can leave the list browser up on the screen while you type in the programming editor? You don't have to go back and forth.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #44 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:09pm:
.... Also when you search for the command in list browser, the search button seldom takes you to the command you are searching or anywhere close by. You have to move the side bar to get to the command. Please look into this. Thanks.

Hello Bharat,

I am not sure what you mean by seldom takes you to the command you are searching for? Is it not scrolling properly or highlighting a command you don't want it to?

The Search in the List browser searches both the Description and the function names so the first result may be a related command or contain an example of the command you are looking for. But if you keep pressing search, you'll move to the next result and so on until you wrap around.

PS. What I normally do in the list browser is when I bring it up I just type the first few characters of what I'm looking for. So if I'm looking for XLookup() I just type 'xlo' and the list browse scrolls down to the first command starting with 'xlo'.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print