Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sesame 3 Feature Requests (Read 26791 times)
Rick_R

Re: Sesame 3 Feature Requests
Reply #15 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 10:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Regarding QA conversions, the idea is indeed pretty intimidating. But I found that if you literally follow the translation guide step-by-step, it's quite easy--MUCH easier than it sounds. Frankly, I think a video would be more of a hindrance than a help. One problem is "cleansing" all the data in QA.  (And some of our data IS incorrect--when the owner needed to differentiate certain records, she simply added the word LIEN to the dollar-amount money field.)

I had "images" of all sorts of trashed data that would require massive back-end reworking in Sesame.  The first time I did the conversion it did screw up--when I used the "Replace double-quotes in this field with back-apostrophes" code, I used the same code in multiple fields, which put the "cleansed" content of Text Field 1 in about 8 different fields, and I didn't notice it immediately. (I had realized before running the update that I needed to change the code but simply forgot.)

I found it helped to write out each step as I did it.  If you aren't familiar with QA conversions, expect that you'll have to do them 3-4 times to catch all the minor data errors, etc, Written custom step-by-step instructions speed things up. A video would have to deal primarily with what to do in the QA-4 and QA-5 stage.

IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #16 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 11:52am
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 1:01pm:
Acebanner wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 12:02pm:
Anything that improves report creation would be great.

Sesame 3 has a completely redesigned super-easy-to-use WYSIWYG report designer.

Awesomeness. Screen captures any time soon?  Smiley

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #17 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 12:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Acebanner wrote on Sep 27th, 2011 at 11:52am:
Awesomeness. Screen captures any time soon?  Smiley

http://www.lantica.com/Forum3/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1309958825/32#32

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #18 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 2:43am
Print Post Print Post  
A video of how to do a mass update. This would be particularly relevant to people converting from Q&A. For instance, when our QA program was written around 1998 all our clients were in Texas.  We now have a substantial number of accounts from out of state but only about 3-4 clients per state in Oklahoma and Arkansas. After converting from Q&A we would want to add a State field and then do a mass update: State = "Texas" If Client contains "XYZ" then State = "Arkansas"; If Client contains "ABC" then State = "Oklahoma"

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #19 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 3:00am
Print Post Print Post  
Some way to lock source code and/or database structure to prevent them from being displayed or being changed. For one thing, that would make it a lot easier for developers to provide "off-the-shelf" solutions using Sesame.

Related to that could be a new lower cost license that does not allow changing the source code or database structure, e.g., a regular 3-seat server license and "can't see code" licenses in the $25-50 per seat range.  You might even disable Mass Update for those. Chances are anyone using a "can't see code" license probably shouldn't be screwing with programming code anyway.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #20 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 7:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
A nice future developers tool for a future version might be a button (or right click option) that turns all the element labels on a form temporarily to the element name. I find I use the F5 feature to Identify the real Element Name constantly when working in Sbasic or modifying Sbasic code. It would be really nice to have a quick visual in designer to see the underlying Element name. I have made some subroutines that use sbasic to rename all the labels to the element name (ran in realtime app or Sdesigner preview) and then I print screen, but it is not very clean and not as efficient as what it could be in designer.

Just a wishful tool to add to the Best, Already the Most USER FRIENDLY, product of Its kind!

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #21 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 9:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
BOBSCOTT wrote on Sep 28th, 2011 at 7:04pm:
A nice future developers tool for a future version might be a button (or right click option) that turns all the element labels on a form temporarily to the element name.

Definitely would be quite useful.

IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #22 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 2:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Rick_R wrote on Sep 28th, 2011 at 9:11pm:
A nice future developers tool for a future version might be a button (or right click option) that turns all the element labels on a form temporarily to the element name.

Definitely would be quite useful.

That would be nice a feature.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #23 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 4:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
It would be really nice to have a quick visual in designer to see the underlying Element name.

Development has done this thing.

le_names.png (Attachment deleted)

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #24 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 4:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Great!!  Thanks.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #25 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 1:10am
Print Post Print Post  
Erika (and Mark) Smiley,

I can see where that's going to be incredibly useful. Great suggestion Robert!

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #26 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 4:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Data Exchange between different platforms and systems are vital part for any system, looking forward. Printed materials are used less and less. Up till now we were depending on CSV, ASCII, ANSI, etc. but now XML seems to be more widely used. Sesame 2.xx has some tools to deal with XML files. I would like to request more tools to prepare XML files effortlessly and tools to read and incorporate XML with Sesame data. What new do we have in terms of XML in Sesame3 so far?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #27 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 5:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Sep 30th, 2011 at 4:53pm:
Data Exchange between different platforms and systems are vital part for any system, looking forward. Printed materials are used less and less. Up till now we were depending on CSV, ASCII, ANSI, etc. but now XML seems to be more widely used. Sesame 2.xx has some tools to deal with XML files. I would like to request more tools to prepare XML files effortlessly and tools to read and incorporate XML with Sesame data. What new do we have in terms of XML in Sesame3 so far?

Sesame3 adds to Sesame2's set of XML SBasic tools with:
@XMLParseString - Like @XMLParseFile but parses a string rather than requiring a file.
@HTTPPostXML - Posts an XML query to a HTTP ("soap") server.
XMLRegisterNameSpace - Registers a name space for parsing tags.
@XMLXPath - Finds a tag/value based on its path and instance.

Are there any specific capabilities that you would like to see that are not covered by these commands and the current set in Sesame2?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #28 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 5:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have not really worked with XML that much but now instead of ANSI file, they have been requesting XML file data submission for  medical bills, prescriptions, medical records, various requests, etc.  So I think, any tools that help to prepare XML file from sesame data with ease and ability to read and incorporate incoming XML file (that parsing) will be very useful.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #29 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 5:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Sep 30th, 2011 at 5:22pm:
I have not really worked with XML that much but now instead of ANSI file, they have been requesting XML file data submission for  medical bills, prescriptions, medical records, various requests, etc.  So I think, any tools that help to prepare XML file from sesame data with ease and ability to read and incorporate incoming XML file (that parsing) will be very useful.

Creating your own XML files is actually really easy. They're just ASCII, so all you need is the existing File I/O commands.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print