Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sesame Server on Linux (Read 31853 times)
Rick_R

Dual booting Linux and Windows affects system time
Reply #45 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 2:07am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks! I hadn't noticed before, but when Linux first boots it shows the time as 5 hours slow.  (current time 8:45 pm Central Daylight Time, system time 3:45 pm)  Within about 30 seconds the time is automatically corrected.

I installed Dimension 4 under Windows 7 and it automatically checks the time and corrects. Some of the defaults need to be changed but it can be set to automatically sync and then exit and the maximum number of hours to auto-correct can be set.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: Ubuntu - switching Unity / Gnome
Reply #46 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 5:32am
Print Post Print Post  
I'm doing a new Ubuntu install and, as mentioned above, ver. 11.04 defaults to the Unity interface, not Gnome ("Classic")

I mention some instructions to switch, but for some reason when I log out it doesn't give me the option to log back in.

Rick_R wrote on Apr 24th, 2011 at 7:07am:
Here are the instructions, courtesy of Adrian Kingsley-Hughes at www.zdnet.com:

It’s actually pretty simple to choose between Unity and the classic UI.

1. Log out of Ubuntu 11.04
  2. At the log on screen select the user you want to log in as
  3. At the bottom of the screen you’ll notice a task bar appear -  this allows you to switch between different modes
  4. Select Ubuntu Classic
  5. Log in as normal
  6. If you want Unity back, repeat the steps but instead choose Ubuntu

Here's another way that doesn't require logging out:

1. Click on the power symbol in the upper right corner.
  2. Click System Settings.
  3. Under Groups (left side), click System
  4. Click Login Screen, Unlock, enter password, Authenticate
  5. In "Select [ Ubuntu ] as default session" select Ubuntu Classic.

You can also set whether a login sound will be played and other options.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: Sesame Server on Linux - 32 or 64 bit
Reply #47 - Sep 14th, 2011 at 2:48am
Print Post Print Post  
Here's something interesting I found out about Ubuntu 32-bit Linux.  There is a standard called Physical Address Extension (PAE) that allows 32-bit operating systems to address much more than 3.2 GB of RAM.  x86 processors have hardware that changes the addressing scheme to 36 bits, allowing use of 64GB of RAM completely transparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

If you install 32-bit Ubuntu on a system with less than 3.2GB it will install the standard kernel.  If you install it on a system with more than 3.2GB (even one 4GB stick), it automatically installs a kernel version that handles PAE.  The only way you can tell is that when it is booting the kernel name will end with -pae.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Air Force's Lightweight Portable Security Linux
Reply #48 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 8:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
I haven't tried it but it looks like it could be interesting: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/the-air-forces-secure-linux-distribution/9...

"The Software Protection Initiative (SPI) under the direction of the Air Force Research Laboratory and the US Department Of Defense recently created Lightweight Portable Security (LPS). Like the name indicates, this is a small Linux desktop distribution that’s designed for secure use.

LPS is designed to boot from a CD or USB pen-drive on any Intel-based computer. It doesn’t install anything. It’s designed solely to run solely in memory and to leave no traces behind when you’re done running it.

According to the SPI, LPS “allows general Web browsing and connecting to remote networks. It includes a smart card-enabled Firefox browser supporting Common Access Card (CAC) and Personal Identity Verification (PIV) cards, a PDF and text viewer, Java, and Encryption Wizard - Public.” With it you can turn your untrusted Windows or Mac home or public system into a trusted network client. “No trace of work activity (or malware) can be written to the local computer.”"

It would be interesting to see about adding a custom Sesame Linux application. Even a fairly large database (several gigabytes) could easily fit on a 16GB USB.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Re: Sesame Server on Linux
Reply #49 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 1:04am
Print Post Print Post  
We're seeing a few server crashes during the past few weeks. (Server log shows 'Segmentation Fault').

I'm cleaning up some sbasic and purging some old records and it seems to be helping. However, Does anyone suggest upgrading from Ubuntu desktop to Ubuntu Server for more stability?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #50 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 2:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Oct 18th, 2011 at 1:04am:
We're seeing a few server crashes during the past few weeks. (Server log shows 'Segmentation Fault').

I'm cleaning up some sbasic and purging some old records and it seems to be helping. However, Does anyone suggest upgrading from Ubuntu desktop to Ubuntu Server for more stability?

Probably better to ask what changed than to change what you know didn't.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #51 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 3:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark,

The only changes I can point to are:
1. Increased number of records and data
2. Added new forms and sbasic to existing aps

If there are no obvious advantages to Ubuntu Server in regards to how it manages memory or improves stability over Ubuntu Desktop, then I'll just focus on cleaning up the sbasic and re-organize forms/data to work more efficiently.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #52 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 4:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Another change, and perhaps the most dramatic one; we changed internet providers, and cable modem, and therefore, all new network router settings (dhcp, LAN Ip numbers, etc.)

After this change, clients now get a 10 second 'delay' when they start a connection to the sesame server.

I'll check router settings and try a different 24 port switch tonight to see what happens.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #53 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 4:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Oct 18th, 2011 at 1:04am:
However, Does anyone suggest upgrading from Ubuntu desktop to Ubuntu Server for more stability?

There is no difference in that regard.  The difference between Server and Desktop is that Server doesn't include GUI, OpenOffice, etc. Unlike Windows, a Linux distro consists of the Linux kernel and various unrelated programs "cobbled" together, primarily made available under the GNU license.  The "additional" programs include the GUI video system, CUPS (the printing subsystem), and may other things Windows users consider to be an integral part of the basic OS. ("Cobbled together" should not be taken a derogatory here.)

A major problem with Ubuntu Server edition is that it assumes you are a Linux guru because otherwise, why would you be running a server edition? If you would feel comfortable running a heavy-duty Unix system using only the command line and character-based utilities, you will be okay with Ubuntu Server, although it won't improve stability. Otherwise, even if you feel comfortable with Ubuntu Desktop you'll be pretty much lost with Server because for the most part the various GUI programs simply aren't included.
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2011 at 6:02pm by Rick_R »  

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #54 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 4:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Rick. I'd be lost without a GUI on Ubuntu.

Steve

IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: Sesame Server on Linux - Ubuntu 11.10
Reply #55 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 1:34am
Print Post Print Post  
Hold off on updating to Ubuntu 11.10 final release (Desktop). As with a previous release, shutdown doesn't work.  It just returns you to the logon screen.  The only way to shut down without the command line is a hard powerdown.  The change happened somewhere between beta 2, which worked correctly, and the final release version.  (I haven't tried shutdown from the command line but it probably would work.)

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Sesame Server on Linux - Ubuntu 11.10
Reply #56 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Rick_R wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 1:34am:
Hold off on updating to Ubuntu 11.10 final release (Desktop). As with a previous release, shutdown doesn't work.  It just returns you to the logon screen.  The only way to shut down without the command line is a hard powerdown.  The change happened somewhere between beta 2, which worked correctly, and the final release version.  (I haven't tried shutdown from the command line but it probably would work.)

While I would also recommend not upgrading until things are ironed out a bit, I am running 11.10 on one computer with no problems at all (and can shutdown from the desktop GUI), and on another computer can't boot at all without loading the older kernel. So... mileage will vary.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #57 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 2:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
We were running 10.10. 64-bit O.S. Last night, (before I read these last 2 posts) I installed Ubuntu 11.10 on a new pc and then copied my sesame folders over to the new machine. (The transition was VERY easy thanks to Sesame's great portability.)

User's made one tiny change to their shortcuts and, so far, things are running well. I'll post an update after we give it a thorough test.

Besides running on new hardware, I am running the 32-bit OS on a 64-bit pc, hoping that this may help with stability.

I see no issues at all with booting/restarting/shutting down on the 11.10 update, but I am grateful for all your input thus far.

PS. With Ray's blessing, I moved one of my largest 'archive' databases to a separate sesame server on the same machine (ports 20022:20023) to help keep some memory free on the main sesame server (default ports).

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Steve

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #58 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 5:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
I just ran an update on 11.10 and now it shuts down properly from the GUI.  As mentioned above, several releases earlier the exact same problem happened--wouldn't shut down from the GUI and then an update several days after the official release fixed it.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #59 - Oct 23rd, 2011 at 6:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
An update: After moving to all new hardware on thursday, we only had 1 Segmentation Fault in 2 days. VERY encouraging.

Saturday, all was good. However, Sunday morning, remote users were constantly being 'kicked off' the server about every 20 minutes. The server showed no signs of trouble, but users could not stay connected. My local connection appeared to be stable, however.

I rebooted the modem and router, and even moved the sesame server back to the old pc, but users were still getting booted.

Monday, we will try the new sesame.exe file that Ray sent me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print