Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sesame Server on Linux (Read 31855 times)
Rick_R

Re: Sesame Server on Linux
Reply #15 - Apr 24th, 2011 at 7:18am
Print Post Print Post  
Regarding the Gnome/Unity interfaces, once the server is all set up, you might actually prefer Unity.  It basically leaves almost the entire screen free except for a vertical row of launcher icons on the left side.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Sesame/Linux (window management buttons)
Reply #16 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 3:31am
Print Post Print Post  
In case someone else runs into this ...

Linux comes with a fancy window/desktop management program called Compiz-Fusion.  It lets you do all sorts of things like wobbly windows, switching between desktops on a single monitor, etc.  (Compiz is not part of the Ubuntu default install.  It can be installed from Synaptic Package Manager.)

I was checking out the different options and I noticed that suddenly all my window-management buttons disappeared.  (I change the default combo that appears in the upper left corner to mimic Windows in the upper right  corner.)

Turns out one of the Compiz options is Window Decoration.  If that is not checked you get a window pretty much equivalent to this text box -- no window title bar, etc.  If you accidentally turn off the bar, do this:

System -> Preferences -> CompizConfig Settings Manager (usually referred to as CCSM) -> Effects -> check Window Decoration

(By the way, when setting hotkeys, the Windows key is referred to as <Super>.)

IP Logged

Rick_R

Ubuntu and Gnome 3
Reply #17 - May 1st, 2011 at 5:20am
Print Post Print Post  
For those unfamiliar with Linux (which is essentially a Unix clone), it is fundamentally different from Windows. Actual Linux itself consists of a very small kernel.  Most functionality is added with subsystems as desired.  Basic Linux does not include a graphical/windowing system, a print subsystem, etc.  Software to add those (e.g., X-Windows and CUPS - Common Unix Print System) command-line and graphical shells, etc., are put together as a "distro" that now normally includes an office suite, PDF/graphics/video editing and many other functionalities.

Two of the most popular graphical shells are KDE (K Desktop Environment) and Gnome.  In April Gnome released the Gnome 3 interface, which is a from scratch rewrite that takes advantage of modern graphics hardware acceleration, etc.

There are a number of major Linux distros, especially Red Hat, Suse (from Novell) and Debian.  Ubuntu, from Canonical, is based on Debian.  Ubuntu is unique in that it has a standard release schedule: an LTS (Long Term Support) version is released each April (x.04) and October (x.10).  In 11.04, Canonical switched from Gnome 2.3 as the default shell to its own Unity shell.

Although future versions of Ubuntu will support Gnome 3, 11.04 officially does not.  Canonical said that it would be too big a step to add support for a shell that was still in development.  There are unofficial packages from the Gnome 3 group that will install Gnome 3 on Ubuntu 11.04.

I installed the packages and tried them.  Although the installation is pretty straightforward, I do not recommend installing them.  Although it didn't break anything, there are a lot of nuisance things like no power-off icons.  If a menu or dialog box contains italics the text is replaced by small rectangles.  The advanced graphics driver doesn't seem to work--which means that simple things like the minimize/maximize/close buttons don't appear.  (See previous post re Window Decorations.)  Although the layout is very different, the style of the icons have a somewhat cartoonish look a lot like Windows XP.

It seems there is a way to set "themes" but I haven't found it.  The default is pretty much grayscale--imagine Windows 7 Explorer with the directory trees all in grayscale, etc.

Particularly for a server, I don't see anything in the Gnome 3 shell that would be particularly desirable.  If the machine is basically going to handle a few things like start and stop Sesame, backup, etc., once the configuration is set up, for normal use the Unity interface will probably be best  (left-side vertical bar of application icons).  Alternatively, the Gnome 2.3 interface that comes with all Ubuntu versions to date gives a pretty clean desktop while still providing quick access to everything.

IP Logged

magicfish

Reply #18 - May 6th, 2011 at 5:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Rick,
I just wanted to let you know that I for one, appreciate your updates on using Linux in general and using Sesame on Linux in particular.
BTW, have you tried Linux Mint? Its main version is based on but improved on Ubuntu. There are other versions, including Debian as well. Take a look.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #19 - May 6th, 2011 at 9:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Actually, I haven't used Sesame on Linux.  Over the years I tried various versions of Linux and flat-out gave up because it was so geeky and required so much research, etc., to get it working.  With one distro I literally spent about 100 hours trying to get X Windows to work and finally gave up completely.  About 2-3 years ago I tried Suse and that worked fairly well.  But the problem I always ran into was that I couldn't get standard video formats (mainly WMV) to work.

Ubuntu has gone out of its way to make the desktop version user friendly and now even the video formats work.  I did find it frustrating at first, but I was warned by various articles at ZDNet and Tech Republic, "Remember--Linux is not Windows."  I wrote up the "script" mainly for my own use (I have installed Ubuntu now maybe 10 times) because I realized I would not be installing it often enough to remember between installs.  The script makes it a lot easier to do the initial install (including things like the Microsoft Core Fonts and Samba) and once that's up and running most Windows power users will find it pretty easy to do anything else they would want to do.

I still mainly use XP because I have all the software I need and it's all Windows-specific.  The last time I did a full Windows install with all the applications it took over 100 hours.  (For example, I have about five different wordprocessors, and about 7 graphics editing programs.)  My Windows 7 install crashed and had to be reinstalled and I'm in no rush to spend that time again just because the icons and default screen backgrounds are a lot prettier than XP.  (I have a pretty unusual setup -- one 1.5TB disk partitioned as 100GB for XP and the rest for data, 40GB hard disk for Ubuntu 11.04 and 80GB hard disk for Win 7, each boot disk entirely independent.  Eventually I'm going to get a 64GB SSD for either the XP or Win 7.)

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #20 - May 14th, 2011 at 6:27am
Print Post Print Post  
Well, here's an interesting little experiment I tried just for the heck of it ...

As mentioned, I have an unusual setup--one hard disk partitioned as C:\ and D: for data, with Win XP on the C:\ drive,  a second boot drive with Win 7 and a third boot drive with Ubuntu 11.04, each completely independent but accessing the same data. (Ubuntu loads way, way faster.)

I set up Mozilla Thunderbird (email) in XP and redirected the email folders to D:\.  I then installed Thunderbird under Win 7 and redirected to the same folders.  Just for the heck of it, I just installed Thunderbird in Linux and redirected to the same NTFS folder--and everything seems to be working fine (except that Linux doesn't auto-mount the Windows drive, although I could set it to do that).

By the way, all Mozilla products use random sequences for the user profile.  When redirecting, you don't have to use the same profile.  I redirected from c:\...\vfqzvnr1.default to d:\...\rick.default and it worked fine.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: Sesame Server on Linux - Code editor
Reply #21 - May 14th, 2011 at 7:48am
Print Post Print Post  
In developing under Windows, I have found it generally easier to put most of the code in a few .pgm files that I edit with Notepad ++, rather than using the built-in program editor.

I was just looking for an HTML editor for Ubuntu and ran across a multi-programming-language editor called Bluefish.  It's not WYSIWYG, so I'm not interested in using it for HTML pages, but it looks like it would be pretty good for SBasic and various scripting languages (and HTML if you write source code).  It can be added with Ubuntu => Applications => Ubuntu Software Center => Get Software => Developer Tools => Web Development => Bluefish Editor

IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: Sesame Server on Linux - "login" as Root
Reply #22 - May 19th, 2011 at 2:55am
Print Post Print Post  
Unlike most versions of Linux/Unix, Ubuntu strongly discourages setting up a separate user account named "root", although it can be done.

Under Ubuntu, the default file manager is named nautilus.  To open the file manager with root-level permission, open a terminal and type gksu nautilus

A dialog box will open asking your password.  (The same as happens if you precede certain commands with sudo or if you open Synaptic Package Manager.) When you enter that a file manager will open with root-level access.  Closing the terminal will not also close the file manager.

gksu and sudo both allow "run with elevated privileges".  The difference is that sudo is used only with command-line utilities (e.g., sudo apt-get) and gksu is used to start GUI programs from the command line in a terminal.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: Sesame Server on Linux - updating
Reply #23 - May 29th, 2011 at 5:00am
Print Post Print Post  
My script above says to create a root partition about 8GB, which is very large.  I recently did an install with a 4.3GB root and everything was fine. I have been installing various programs and I got a message that it was running low on disk space.  (I have added a lot of programs that would not be on a server.  This was a 330MB website editing suite.)

A lot of books on Linux say that most programs, etc., wind up in /home, which I have as a large separate partition.  I found out that if you share them they wind up in /usr, which I did not have set up as a separate partition.

As mentioned above, you can simply mount an additional partition in a folder.  I had left about 11GB unallocated, so I created a new partition, copied /usr to that, and mounted it.  (I have two machines with Linux.  To avoid problems of trying to change the active program folder, I mounted the drive on the second machine and made the changes there.  You edit a text file named fstab.conf (File System Table).

Once I did that, everything worked properly.  However, every time the reorganized drive booted, immediately after POST it would display a message:

error: file not found
    error: no suitable mode

I found out that the file grub.cfg file needs to be rewritten.  To do that, open a terminal (Applications => Accessories =>Terminal) and type:

sudo update-grub

(no spaces around the hyphen.  As with all Linux/Unix programs, names and parameters are case sensitive.)

GRUB stands for Grand Unified Bootloader and it is actually GNU GRUB.

In my case, I have three separate boot drives, one for XP, one for Win 7 and for Ubuntu. Because I want them completely independent, I had to disconnect the Windows drives.  If I left them installed when I updated GRUB, it would automatically have installed a multi-bootloader menu (modify the MBR).

IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: Sesame Server on Linux - Mint
Reply #24 - May 30th, 2011 at 9:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
"Rick,

I just wanted to let you know that I for one, appreciate your updates on using Linux in general and using Sesame on Linux in particular.
BTW, have you tried Linux Mint? Its main version is based on but improved on Ubuntu. There are other versions, including Debian as well. Take a look."

As I mentioned, I haven't tried Mint.  I recently saw a review on ZDNet by a tech blogger who regularly uses Ubuntu, OpenSUSE (based on Novell) and Mint 10.  He said that Mint 11 Release Candidate is noticeably faster than the latest Ubuntu release.  After a week he installed it on his main work laptop. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/mint-11-the-un-unity-ubuntu-desktop-linux/...

IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: Sesame Server on Linux - Windows backup
Reply #25 - Jun 18th, 2011 at 8:36am
Print Post Print Post  
As I mention above, I have a triple-boot system (3 separate hard disks).  Windows doesn't recognize the file system on the Linux disk so it doesn't assign it a drive letter.

Right now I'm running Win 7 and getting ready to run Acronis True Image, the free version from Western Digital.  I selected Backup and it shows all the disks and recognizes the various Linux partitions except that it shows the file system types as ext3 and they are actually ext4.  Although I'll be backing up the Win 7 partition, it looks like the Windows version of Acronis would be able to back up a Linux drive.  (If the Linux drive is a SATA in a hot-swap socket, it would be a simple matter to get a USB "toaster" adapter and temporarily move it to a Windows machine.)

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #26 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 3:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
We're still trucking nicely using Linux for our Sesame Server. However, I'm seeing something funny and could use some help.

On occasion, our windows clients can't see one or two aps sitting on the Linux server in the 'file open' dialog. The DB and DAT files do exist and permissions appear to be the same as all the other aps in the same folder. (read, write, execute, owner)

The 'hidden' aps will open just fine (when loaded from the command line).

Any thoughts on this?

Steve

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #27 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 3:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Do their filenames start with a dot (period ".")?

Unlikely cause, even if so.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #28 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 3:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
No, the filenames are 'products.db' and 'products.dat'.

I'm seeing a similar (possibly related) issue. I created a new folder in my '/data' folder which is also not visible from within the Sesame 'file open' dialog. I attempted to set permissions and ownership, and I THINK I did it correctly, yet it still remains hidden in sesame.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #29 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 3:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is your rootdirs.ini file limiting what is visible?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print