Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sesame Server on Linux (Read 31854 times)
Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Re: Sesame Server on Linux
Reply #30 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 3:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika,

It doesn't appear so. My rootdirs.ini contains these two lines:

data
data/trash

The windows client has access to all the files and folders within the /data folder (except products which is hidden)

FYI, in the past, I've tweaked rootdirs.ini but would see no effect. Perhaps it is being ignored. Does each client read the file on the server when connecting, or does the server read it once at startup?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #31 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 3:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Jun 22nd, 2011 at 3:51pm:
Does each client read the file on the server when connecting, or does the server read it once at startup?

Neither. The server reads files/directories when requested to by the client.

Can you send me the result of running "ls -laR" in the data directory?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #32 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 4:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
When I run ls -laR from within the /data folder, the results are enormous, showing all folders and subfolders for most of my network.

Perhaps this may help; my issue started at the same time I added a folder within /data that mapped to my windows network share.

I'll try to send the results for just the /data folder, assuming that's what you want.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #33 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 4:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Do you have the Windows machine/partition mapped using NFS and Samba?

That may well be the problem. It is not unlikely that some part of that is timing out.

Turn it off temporarily and see if the problem persists.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #34 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 5:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark and Erika. I unmounted the folder and then deleted the folder and sesame now shows all my files again. Smiley

If you have any suggestion for properly setting up a windows shared folder within reach of my windows users, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, I'll experiment and post my findings here. (Windows users need to have access to a shared folder within /data on the server, for importing into sesame.)

Thanks,

Steve

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #35 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 5:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
It is likely that reconfiguring your current setup, without drastic change, may remedy the immediate problem. How are you configuring and mounting the share?

Do you know about the /etc/fstab file?

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #36 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 5:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes, I have been using /etc/fstab with good results, but the map point is not in the /data folder so the users can't access it from within Sesame. Perhaps I just need to include it in the rootdirs.ini file on linux server? Maybe I can just move the map point into the /data folder?

I'm slowly learning Linux, but I'm apprehensive to make any changes because Sesame is SO HAPPY with the current setup...and therefore, I am too. Smiley

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #37 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 5:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
If you wish people to have access to it from within Sesame (or let Sesame have access at all), it must be in a directory listed in the rootdirs or the CWD for the server.

You may be able to accomplish this leaving fstab as is, and using the ln ("link") command. This command lets you have a file or directory in two places at the same time.

If I specify:
ln -s /home/me/ADir/FileA /home/me/BDir

The FileA will appear in both Adir and in BDir. It is really the same singular actual file existing only in ADir. But it is "linked" in BDir as well.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #38 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 5:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark. Sounds like that should work. I'll learn up on it and report back.

Sincerely,

Steve

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #39 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 8:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steven J. Vaughn-Nichols has written an article, "The Five Best Linux Desktop Distributions" that may be helpful:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/the-five-best-desktop-linux-distributions/...

Realistically, the newer Linux desktop distributions are generally somewhat easier to work with than Windows XP/7 and performance is generally better.  They should be quite adequate for most Sesame applications.  As a practical matter, anyone running a system with so many users, transactions, etc. that they need a full-blown server operating system will probably already have IT people with advanced Linux skills who can handle the (non-GUI) server versions.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: Sesame Server on Linux - Changing "Places"
Reply #40 - Jul 5th, 2011 at 3:54am
Print Post Print Post  
Ubuntu with the Gnome 2.3 interface looks a lot like a non-ribbon Windows application in that there are drop-down text-label menus in the upper left hand corner. The standards are Applications, Places and System.  A new location is added in Places with Connect to Server. To change an entry, from Places select any folder, which will open the Nautilus file manager. Then click Bookmarks => Edit Bookmarks.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #41 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 6:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Apr 2nd, 2011 at 10:25pm:
Changing Sbasic in sesame to reflect the new folder paths was easy, but tedious because we have a lot of 'xlookups' on a lot of different forms and applications (ie. C:\sesame2\data\ changed to /home/sesame/data/).

Hi Steve! I just saw this bit.

This is where relative paths shine. If you use relative paths from your current working directory instead of absolute paths, you can move your applications at will and everything will fall into place.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #42 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 6:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Erika. I can see the benefits and I'll definitely put this into practice.

Sincerely,

Steve

IP Logged

Rick_R

Dual booting Linux and Windows affects system time
Reply #43 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 2:20am
Print Post Print Post  
For awhile I have been seeing problems that occasionally my Windows computers are ahead by about 6 hours (Central Time). I first noticed the problem on a machine with a 2004-era motherboard running XP and it persisted even when changing the CMOS battery. I recently replaced the motherboard in my main computer and noticed the same thing.  That now mainly runs Win 7 but is also set up for XP.  (Home edition in all cases.)

I was checking various tech postings assuming this was a Window flaw.

As described below, it turns out the problem has to do with dual-booting Linux.  As with that user, for each of my machines they are not set up with a bootloader--Linux was installed with no Windows drives present so it wouldn't make any changes to the Windows install.

This is from http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/927637-win7-clock-keeps-changing.html.

If you boot more than one OS on a PC, it is a dual boot, at least as far as this issue is concerned, even if one of them resides on an external drive.

Both Linux and Windows read the RealTimeClock (RTC) when they are booted.

Pacific Time is GMT-7 at this time of year, so at 1 PM Pacific Daylight Time, it is 8 PM GMT.

Windows assumes the RTC is set to the local time. It does not make any adjustments for the Time Zone you've entered, it simply displays the RTC time and the Time Zone.

Linux assumes the RTC is set to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) (Equivalent to GMT for this discussion). It reads the clock, then applies the Time Zone offset, and displays this adjusted time.

So, if the RTC is set to 1300 (1 PM), Windows reads it, converts to 12 hour format if needed, and displays 1 PM, and the Time Zone.
    Linux reads the RTC, checks what Time Zone you've entered, adds the offset (-7 in this case), converts to 12 hour format if needed, and will display 6AM and the Time Zone.

The problem arises if Linux is set to check the time online and update the RTC. Online time sources provide the GMT time.
    If Linux thinks the RTC is set to UTC, it does a direct compare, sees the RTC is off by 7 hours and corrects it, changing it to 2000 (8 PM).
    Windows on the other hand, converts the Internet time to local before comparing.

Windows, when not connected to a Domain, checks the time online once a week.

Linux may be set to check the time much more frequently, and may check as soon as an internet connection is detected after boot, so may adjust the clock before the display is even initialized, so you may never see that the time is off when you boot into Linux, it's being synced online too fast.

It could also be that Linux is seeing the RTC as local time, but whatever service is checking the time online is not, so once an online check is done, the RTC is set wrong. Linux never looks at the RTC except at boot, so won't show that it has been changed.

So you have to tell Linux that the RTC is set to Local time, not UTC, so it will behave like Windows does.

I have been looking for a Windows utility that will automatically update the RTC every time I boot but so far I haven't found one.  There is a program w32tm.exe included in Windows but it only looks to a local time server on the LAN--you can't tell it to check any on-line time server.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #44 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 7:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Have you seen Dimension4? I used to use this some time ago. I once used it briefly to automatically set the clock upon login when the motherboard battery was dead. This kept things working okay until I had time to get a new battery.

If I remember correctly, it has an option to set the clock upon opening it, and I simply put a shortcut to it in the Startup folder. There may be a more effective way to use it, but this did the trick for the short time I needed it to do that.

http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print