Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Table question. (Read 7362 times)
Carl Underwood
Members

Re: Table question.
Reply #30 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 3:25am
Print Post Print Post  
Paul D & SRKTRY,

If I correctly understood SRKTRY's explanation of what it is that you want to accomplish, your answer is in Sesame 2.0, which was just released over the weekend at the Sesame Users Conference.

My understanding is that you want a Table View subform AND a Form View subform of the same records, so that you can select the records you want to work with in the Table View subform, then have the Form View subform display that same record in order to take advantage of the more advanced layout elements. This approach has problems, like the fact that the record will be locked in the Form View subform, because the Table View subform will already have been the first to open that record. (And there are other issues which I won't get into now.)

In any case, I believe you may want to use the new Table View of your primary form (which can be activated automatically by programming) to display the list of records in a spreadsheet-type view. From there, you can click on a record, and then have a custom Menu Bar item that you can select to take you to the Form View of that record. From there, you can have a Command Button located on the form that would take you back to the Table View, if you wanted.

Both version 1.x and 2.x have Form View and Table View, but the Table View has been completely redesigned for version 2. It now shows the data in Table View formatted exactly the same as you have designed it to look Form View. That includes fonts, font sizes, foreground and background colors, formatting and alignment. Table View now also doesn't need to show ALL the fields/elements that exist on the form, you can have any subset OR all of them displayed in the table -- it's up to you. You can even save many various table layouts in saved Table Specs.

Version 2.0 has an additional 200 new SBasic Programming Commands! Sesame has taken an incredible leap in what can now be done with it.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #31 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 12:57am
Print Post Print Post  
Paul D & SRKTRY,

You may want to take a look at this link regarding a custom "Toggle Table View" command on the menu bar.
http://www.lantica.com/Forum3/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1182783981

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

drastixnz

A Newbie....

Reply #32 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 10:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello, people we both would dearly love to be in Baltimore to get version 2.0 and to meet every one, but being on the other side of the planet, it would cost a bit too much for us.

I am still working on this issue.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #33 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 10:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
drastixnz wrote on Jul 4th, 2007 at 10:50pm:
Hello, people we both would dearly love to be in Baltimore to get version 2.0 and to meet every one, but being on the other side of the planet, it would cost a bit too much for us.

I am still working on this issue.

2.0 will be available for everyone soon.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

drastixnz

A Newbie....

Reply #34 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 11:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Paul D & SRKTRY,

If I correctly understood SRKTRY's explanation of what it is that you want to accomplish, your answer is in Sesame 2.0, which was just released over the weekend at the Sesame Users Conference.

My understanding is that you want a Table View subform AND a Form View subform of the same records, so that you can select the records you want to work with in the Table View subform, then have the Form View subform display that same record in order to take advantage of the more advanced layout elements. This approach has problems, like the fact that the record will be locked in the Form View subform, because the Table View subform will already have been the first to open that record. (And there are other issues which I won't get into now.)

In any case, I believe you may want to use the new Table View of your primary form (which can be activated automatically by programming) to display the list of records in a spreadsheet-type view. From there, you can click on a record, and then have a custom Menu Bar item that you can select to take you to the Form View of that record. From there, you can have a Command Button located on the form that would take you back to the Table View, if you wanted.

Both version 1.x and 2.x have Form View and Table View, but the Table View has been completely redesigned for version 2. It now shows the data in Table View formatted exactly the same as you have designed it to look Form View. That includes fonts, font sizes, foreground and background colors, formatting and alignment. Table View now also doesn't need to show ALL the fields/elements that exist on the form, you can have any subset OR all of them displayed in the table -- it's up to you. You can even save many various table layouts in saved Table Specs.

Version 2.0 has an additional 200 new SBasic Programming Commands! Sesame has taken an incredible leap in what can now be done with it.

Thanks Carl... Paul & I were not aware of the restriction with displaying the same data in both Table View _and_ Form View simultaneously but what we'd like to achieve still fits perfectly within that restriction.
Previously I mentioned that we do not want users to edit records directly in the Table View, only in the Form View so...

Do you have any code suggestions that will allow us to read the records in, based on the filters that may restrict what records will be visible (and refresh if any data changes, including new records) and display only in a table view (note the reduction in capitalised words to denote that this is a view that looks like a table but it is NOT Sesame's Table View) and have a button next to each visible record (lets say the max number of records visible in the tabled view is set at 20 ?) and when the button next to the record to be edited in the table view is clicked, that is the data that presents itself in the active Form View ?
At no stage do we want the user to even think that they can edit data within a tabled view but we do want them to be able to select, from that tabled view which record to edit in the Form data showing in the lower left of the screen.
To summarise... I think we only need to have the records in the tabled view as a "Read Only" per se.

IP Logged

SirKitry

No personal text

Reply #35 - Jul 5th, 2007 at 1:26am
Print Post Print Post  
drastixnz wrote on Jul 4th, 2007 at 11:15pm:
Thanks Carl...
Paul & I were not aware of the restriction with displaying the same data in both Table View _and_ Form View simultaneously but what we'd like to achieve still fits perfectly within that restriction.
Previously I mentioned that we do not want users to edit records directly in the Table View, only in the Form View so...
Do you have any code suggestions that will allow us to read the records in, based on the filters that may restrict what records will be visible (and refresh if any data changes, including new records) and display only in a table view (note the reduction in capitalised words to denote that this is a view that looks like a table but it is NOT Sesame's Table View) and have a button next to each visible record (lets say the max number of records visible in the tabled view is set at 20 ?) and when the button next to the record to be edited in the table view is clicked, that is the data that presents itself in the active Form View ?
At no stage do we want the user to even think that they can edit data within a tabled view but we do want them to be able to select, from that tabled view which record to edit in the Form data showing in the lower left of the screen.
To summarise... I think we only need to have the records in the tabled view as a "Read Only" per se.

Carl,
What we're working through is an adaptation of what Tom suggested in his May InsideSesame article on "Managing Table View Subforms".

We don't want our users being given any indication they could edit within the tabled view (ie. the cursor simply cannot be positioned anywhere in the tabled view) but they do need to select from the tabled view "somehow" which record they want to edit in the Form data which resides on the same page.

There are 3 primary sets of buttons - 1 set for limiting which records will be shown in the tabled view, 1 set for changing the sort order of the records being shown (and code to swap the sort column to be the leftmost column of the tabled view), and the last a set of buttons - 1 per record in the tabled view that allow selection of the record to be edited.

How appropriate is a "Mass Update" routine on the form to produce a filtered/re-filtered & sorted/re-sorted read-only tabled view ? Simply by clicking a button the user can drop or include what they need to see and the ability to do this quickly is important. Same for sort order.

We took to heart Tom's suggestion that a) data being entered is much more controllable for data-typing and b) facilities such as combo and drop-down boxes are available to a Form that are not available to a Sesame Table View to assist users by presenting to them only the entry types permitted for any given field.

Thanks for all the help given so far. What we're attempting is ambitious given our present knowledge of Sesame but fully within even the current Sesames (v1.x) capabilities. The more we learn the better we code !

Would a screenie of the present forms' layout give a better indication of what we're aiming for ?

SRKTRY

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #36 - Jul 5th, 2007 at 3:10am
Print Post Print Post  
drastixnz wrote on Jul 4th, 2007 at 11:15pm:

Yes, there is a new programming commad called "@FormViewType", which will allow Sesame to know if the Table View is being viewed. If it is, programming could set all the elements to Read-Only. The user could then click on a custom menu bar command that will change the view to Form View, and programming could change all the elements to Writable.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #37 - Jul 5th, 2007 at 4:02am
Print Post Print Post  
SirKitry wrote on Jul 5th, 2007 at 1:26am:
(ie. the cursor simply cannot be positioned anywhere in the tabled view) but they do need to select from the tabled view "somehow"...
...and the last a set of buttons - 1 per record in the tabled view that allow selection of the record to be edited.

Rather than a separate button for each subrecord, I would suggest using some type of popup menu from which you could pick from.
BOBSCOTT is doing something somewhat like that in this thread: http://www.lantica.com/Forum3/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1182967389

Quote:
How appropriate is a "Mass Update" routine on the form to produce a filtered/re-filtered & sorted/re-sorted read-only tabled view ? Simply by clicking a button the user can drop or include what they need to see and the ability to do this quickly is important. Same for sort order.

You wouldn't use Mass Update. Sesame has a another great feature, in that you can place most search specs into the parent key field. For instance, if the child (subform) key field contains last names, you can enter "Alb.." to retreive all subrecords where the last name begins with "Alb". You can use multiple specs like "Alb..;Bar..;Jon..;Smith..". You can even use things like "<G", and so on. This is how you would acheive the filtered list of subrecords.

The sorting is just as easy. Sesame has a command named "@LoadSortSpec", which can load a saved sort spec. Then you use "Formcommit("YourSubformName")" to trigger the re-sort.
EDIT: I've got subforms on the brain. The above should read "Formcommit("YourMainformName")"

Quote:
Would a screenie of the present forms' layout give a better indication of what we're aiming for ?

Yes.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2007 at 3:22am by Carl Underwood »  

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

drastixnz

A Newbie....

Reply #38 - Jul 5th, 2007 at 5:52am
Print Post Print Post  

Here is screen shot

IP Logged

SirKitry

No personal text

Reply #39 - Jul 5th, 2007 at 6:50am
Print Post Print Post  
In the previous screenie, everything in the top left above and including the A-M/N-Z buttons are the filters that select which records are shown. As filters become active they change colour. Multiple filters may be in operation at once.

In the lower left is the Form View and the only place where data can be changed.

On the right is the table view with buttons at the bottom to change the sort order.

This is where we're presently at but expect that many changes to the layout will be required before letting our users loose on it.
(Effectively we do not need Next, Previous, First, Last, etc as the filters will reduce the records shown and the sort order will produce the desired records in a recognisable order that can be scrolled until the desired record to be edited is in view). We will not program the form with the default "Last 2 months jobs" filter until we are sure we're getting the right records).

The application is designed to track plans being handled by the company that may be in several different locations including oversea's.

IP Logged

drastixnz

A Newbie....

Reply #40 - Jul 5th, 2007 at 10:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for explaining, dave

IP Logged

drastixnz

A Newbie....

Reply #41 - Jul 9th, 2007 at 1:00am
Print Post Print Post  
I have made a screen shot

IP Logged

drastixnz

A Newbie....

Reply #42 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 10:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
YAAAA FIXED!!!!!

Thank you so much to the following people

SirKitry
Ray the Reaper
Hammer
BOBSCOTT
An Carl Underwood

Thank you so much for the help, each time I use this i learn more and more and more, i dont think I will stop learning,

Kind Regards
  Paul

IP Logged

drastixnz

A Newbie....

Reply #43 - Jul 16th, 2007 at 11:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
What i did i followed BOB SCOTT's information and instead of the code he said I placed

If @isBlank(Record #) Then
Record # = "x"

And it now works in update mode perfectly once again thanks.

IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #44 - Oct 16th, 2007 at 9:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
drastixnz wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 11:36pm:
Hummm still no closer to this, how ever I have taken it out of the tabs, and I now just have a subform, which I want the data to show.

We'll need more information: are you naturally or relationally linked? In either case did you enter some records in the subform? If so, where did you enter the data - with the subform "standalone" or with the subform appearing on its parent?

I know this is an old post...I'm curious about this too.  Is there a probelm, depending on what type of linking you have between  the parent and subforms whether you add or update data on the subform in standalone or with the subform appearing on the parent form?
I'm designing/redesigning a couple of appliocations and it would be wonderful to be able to enter/modify data with the subform on the parent form.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print