Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Table question. (Read 7357 times)
drastixnz

A Newbie....

Table question.
Jun 14th, 2007 at 6:33am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi All,
     I have a table to the right, which is in a subform, which contains data that was inputted via a different part of the program, I want to show the data in the table within the sub form at this point it shows nothing but I know there is data in there.

Any help?

Paul D

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: Table question.
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 2:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is the data in the subform naturaly or relationaly linked to the main / parent  record you are looking at when no data is in the subform?

Search the subform for everything just to see what comes up. In case your not sure how to do that put your curser in an element on the subform and press f7 for search mode then f10 to retrieve everything.

Keep us posted. Smiley

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

drastixnz

A Newbie....

Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 8:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
[quote author=BOBSCOTT link=1181802834/0#1 date=1181830862]Is the data in the subform naturaly or relationaly linked to the main / parent  record you are looking at when no data is in the subform?

[/quote]

It is naturaly linked.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 9:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
If it is naturally linked, if you open your application go to a specific record enter new data in the subform then save the record, when you exit and return to that specific record the data should display in the subform.

try these steps and let us know if it works.

open app
go to specific record
add data to subform elements
save
exit
return to specific record

IP Logged

drastixnz

A Newbie....

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 9:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi BOBSCOTT
I under stand that, I think i might need to make myself a bit clearer, I want to enter data into a different Form (Merchant_Information), and not have to exit the app, and then go to another form (Plantrak) within the same database, and on that form contains the subform (Merchant_Information) which is in table form, and shows all of the data.

Thanks in advance.
Paul D

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 9:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry I misunderstood.

I will let the Lanticans answer this for sure, however my belief is you will need to use a relational method for that.

IP Logged

drastixnz

A Newbie....

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 9:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
BOBSCOTT wrote on Jun 14th, 2007 at 9:18pm:
Sorry I misunderstood.

I will let the Lanticans answer this for sure, however my belief is you will need to use a relational method for that.

Thats ok BOBSCOTT, thanks for the help I am going to read up on the "relational method" now

Paul D

IP Logged

drastixnz

A Newbie....

Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 11:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hummm still no closer to this, how ever I have taken it out of the tabs, and I now just have a subform, which I want the data to show.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 11:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
drastixnz wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 11:36pm:
Hummm still no closer to this, how ever I have taken it out of the tabs, and I now just have a subform, which I want the data to show.

We'll need more information: are you naturally or relationally linked? In either case did you enter some records in the subform? If so, where did you enter the data - with the subform "standalone" or with the subform appearing on its parent?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 12:41am
Print Post Print Post  
drastixnz wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 11:36pm:

Paul,

The tabs have nothing to do with the problem. I use tabs with linked subforms with great results.

I think I might understand now of what you desire, you are entering data in one db form that you also want to display in another. Both databases are part of the same application. A relational link will work fine for what you want. You need to have a matching key in both databases that you will use when you set up the subform.

I originally only did things as described above because I did not feel totally comfortable with the natural linking. I now always use natural links, they work absolutely perfect every time.

Is there a particular reason you do not want to enter the data all from one form?

Keep us posted.

IP Logged

drastixnz

A Newbie....

Reply #10 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 1:09am
Print Post Print Post  
Yes there is Sad

I want all of the data to be shown, I have used Natural links but the data does not show.

I enter the data into a form called Plan Tracking Log, I save the information and scroll past into a blank record.

Then I open another form (Plan Tak V0.2) it has "Plan Tracking Log" as a subform table in it the data does not show there.

IP Logged

drastixnz

A Newbie....

Reply #11 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 6:59am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi All,
I have created a subform that is relationally linked and I used a common field which is record number,

I now can "scroll" in search/update mode and I see records there but I want to display all records, thats how far I have got.

Regards Paul D

O when do i stop becoming a newbie

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #12 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 12:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
drastixnz wrote on Jun 18th, 2007 at 6:59am:
...I want to display all records...

You will need to use "/=" in the key field on the main (parent) form, to see all the relational subrecords in the subform.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

drastixnz

A Newbie....

Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 7:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
drastixnz wrote on Jun 18th, 2007 at 6:59am:
...I want to display all records...

You will need to use "/=" in the key field on the main (parent) form, to see all the relational subrecords in the subform.

Hi Carl,
you mean something like this? Record # /= @GlobalValue("Record #")

Paul

IP Logged

SirKitry

No personal text

Reply #14 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 11:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just some background on this query to give more of an overview about the overall purpose of what we're trying to achieve (Drastix & I collaborate on some work and this is one of them)

"The Table View on the RH side of the page will show a Merchant Name, Merchant Reference, Job Number, Job Name, Job Address, Job Street & Job City. Because it is easier to overview and interpret the information in a table and because of the variety of quick searches we do, we've chosen this type of view and there are only 2 types of activities that can occur on this Table.

1) Select/highlight a record (and the resulting data for editing purposes is shown in a tabbed layout for the Merchant, or the Job Details, etc, on the lower LH side so that pull-downs, combo boxes et al are available plus good control of the data entering the database(s) is exercised) and
2) command buttons are available immediately above the Table View that changes the sort order of the records shown. eg. Default sort is by Job Number but it is also possible to sort by the name of the Merchant or by the Merchants Reference, Street, City, etc etc and the columns will shift depending on which is the primary sort order.
At no stage do we want to allow the user any data editing capability in the Table View even though this possible. We will program to stop that so that any data changes can only be done on the tabbed forms that relate to the record selected in Table View.

Just so you're aware, in the middle LH side of the screen are command buttons that restrict or expand which records will be shown in the RH Table View.

Each button that restricts records will change to a different colour when in force so the user is aware of what restrictions are, or not, in operation. This will allow multiple types of record selection criteria. They will operate on a toggle basis so they need to be clicked a second time to deactivate."

SRKTRY

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print