Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Programming & User Guides - Acrobate Reader (Read 9111 times)
The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Programming & User Guides - Acrobate Reader
Reply #15 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 12:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yeah - another advantage for Linux over Windoze: mostly everything is free.

There is another Linux utilty: "pdftops", that converts PDF to Postscript. It has has an "-expand" command line option, that will increase the page's contents to fit the specified page size:
Code
Select All
pdftops -paper letter -expand "Sesame Programming Guide.pdf" output.ps 

I have no idea if there is a precompiled version for DOS/Win.

I'm not sure if this is really what Spencer wants. Either of these approaches will only increase the size of the content on the page. They won't decrease the number of pages, increase the amount of content on each page, or repaginate.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Don Haley

No personal text

Reply #16 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 1:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thankyou GW,  Smiley I have just tried your suggestions and it works very well, you can even increase the size of the fonts if you so wish and as you say decreases the amount of paper.

Don

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #17 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 3:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hmmm .....
it just occured to me, that if you do repaging, then all of the Table of Contents and Index references will need to be updated also.  Too much work!

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #18 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 6:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Gary -

I received the word document you sent and want you to know how very much I appreciate your efforts.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of drawbacks.  One (as Bob mentioned) is that the table of contents is no longer valid.  Another thing I noticed is that the page numbers that were at the bottom of the page were moved to the top of the next page.

Reducing the number of pages is not an issue for me so, once again, for the index to work, I would rather have the same number of pages.

Also, in the Word document, none of the images are there.  Sooooo, I guess I'll have to hope that, at some point, the manuals are somehow made available in larger font.  I believe that the magnification on my glasses, has gone just about as far as it can go.  lol

One thing I did notice though is that the viewer on the PDF file is very nice.  And, I hadn't realized, till now, that you can do a 'search' within the PDF document itself.  So, I may just have to teach myself to use the manual on-screen, until there is a better solution.

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #19 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 6:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
One thing I did notice though is that the viewer on the PDF file is very nice.  ...you can do a 'search' within the PDF document itself.

For what it's worth, this is the way I have always used the manuals. I can search and find things in a flash, rather than flipping back-and-forth through the pages manually, and I can search for things that simply aren't listed in the index. (I have only opened the paper manuals once or twice.)

Two more benefits of the electronic manuals:
1) You can search ALL the manuals and supplements at once with the "All PDF Documents in" option just below the search field.
2) You can copy sample code from the PDF to paste into Designer's Program Editor.

Edit:
3) And of course, you can zoom in to make the text as large as you need to for reading it. Smiley

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #20 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 7:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer, I agree, theres too many drawbacks to doing this. Myself, I prefer to use the PDF document for the reasons that you realized and from Carl's comments.

I was just showing a short way to get around your problem. The images must have stripped out when i sent that file as I have them in tact. Now with a little bit of playing you can re-create a PDF doc and re-index but who the heck would want to  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print