Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lost data while connected from offsite location (Read 1958 times)
lksseven

Lost data while connected from offsite location
Jan 29th, 2010 at 12:07am
Print Post Print Post  
Was at home, connected via Internet to Sesame server 2.5 at the office .... input some data here and there,  no problems.  Left the computer for 15 minutes.  Came back, and logged into the office server computer via GoToMyPC, in order to copy database to my laptop at the house. Once logged onto the office server computer, I saw a message on the server desktop that "Sesame.exe" had a problem, was shut down, and did I want to report the problem to Microsoft.    I restarted Sesame server engine, loaded a  Sesame client  , and all data entered today (by everyone, not just me later in the afternoon) was non-existent.

Well, a backup() of my app's db and dat is made each time one of my work clients is logged on (using Sesame backup code whenever this client is launched), and the latest backup was dated 2:46pm (horrendous weather here, so office closed at 3pm) and I'm thinking "no problem, I'll just copy those latest backup files to sdata directory and I'll be good to go.    So I do that, but there's not a whiff of 1/28/2010 (today's) data anywhere.

How could the server engine be running, allowing connection and data entry (sales orders to be entered and saved, purchase orders to be entered and saved, etc), but none of the data was included in a backup?

Larry
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Lost data while connected from offsite locatio
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 12:52am
Print Post Print Post  
Did you look in the server log for any clues?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 12:59am
Print Post Print Post  
Are any of your application files set to be read-only?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 3:03am
Print Post Print Post  
Have not looked at server log (thanks for the tip) yet.  Will try to do that tomorrow.  I'm burnt for the day (spent most of it taking a Microsoft academic reseller test.  Microsoft product list is about 400 pages long - 12 pages of products, and 380 pages of legalese dithering.  Microsoft chaps me from 8 different angles, but I guess that's a thread for a different chat board, haha)

No application files are set as read-only.

Everything was fine.  Left the client connected here at the house, but no tabs were open.  And I'm pretty sure no one else was still at the office or on/connected.  I think the last thing I did was to run a couple of quick reports (to HTML preview) on a result set of client records.

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 5:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello lksseven,

When you copied your backup files into the sdata directory did you overwrite the main files or did you just place the backup beside the original files?

Also send a copy of your Server's Sesame log file to support@lantica.com if you could.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 6:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ray,

once I discovered the problem (I was originally tipped off while getting ready to transfer files via GoToMyPC and noticed that the server file dates were 1/27 and not 1/28), I made a separate backup directory, copied the original files (all 4 files) into the new separate directory, and then copied the automatic backed up files wc1264711616.dat and wc1264711616.db into the main directory, renaming them wc.dat and wc.db .

So I still have the original files - as a matter of fact, I copied them back into the main directory, as we are recreating all lost data entry from yesterday.

I will send the server log file now.   In the meantime, here is a sampling of the server log entries for 1/28/2010 ....
2010/01/28  08:06:06 AMS_ENG 330840Failed to open e:\Sesame2\sData\WC.db.2010/01/28  08:06:06 AMS_ENG 330840Failed to open e:\Sesame2\sData\WC.db.2010/01/28  08:06:06 AMS_ENG 330840Failed to open e:\Sesame2\sData\WC.db.2010/01/28  08:06:12 AMS_ENG 330840Failed to open e:\Sesame2\sData\WC.db.2010/01/28  08:06:18 AMS_ENG 330840Failed to open e:\Sesame2\sData\WC.db.2010/01/28  08:06:23 AMS_ENG 330840Failed to open e:\Sesame2\sData\WC.db.2010/01/28  08:06:23 AMS_ENG 330840Failed to open e:\Sesame2\sData\WC.db.2010/01/28  08:06:30 AMS_ENG 330840Failed to open e:\Sesame2\sData\WC.db.2010/01/28  08:06:30 AMS_ENG 330840Failed to open e:\Sesame2\sData\WC.db.2010/01/28  08:06:31 AMS_ENG 330840Failed to open e:\Sesame2\sData\WC.db.2010/01/28  08:06:36 AMS_ENG 330840Failed to open e:\Sesame2\sData\WC.db.

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 7:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Can you send me the backup files to the same e-mail address, preferably zipped.

Is E:\ another hard drive in the server or a Network drive?

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 9:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
yes, I'll send the backup files (do you want just the two files made by Sesame's BackupApplication() command?).

E: is the server's 2nd hard drive.  All of Sesame program is on E:

The server is a new computer (last Summer) running WinXP ServPak3, 4gb RAM.  Usually only 5 or 6 Sesame connections to it.  My experience has been that everything is much more stable if I reboot the server every couple of weeks (Microsoft!).  If I don't, then it seems like we start to get incidents of lost/dropped client connections, etc.  It might have been since just after the holidays that I'd rebooted the server, so perhaps that had some impact.  Also, I had a couple of power blips at the house (3 miles from office) yesterday afternoon.  Don't know if there were any brownout blips at the office or not (server on a good/new APC UPS).  Don't know if that could impact things on Sesame's end, but it's background info, fwiw.

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 9:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Could you e-mail me a few examples of the records that were missing and what databases they should be in? I only need some unique information from each one. No rush on getting the info over to me as it's 5 on Friday, so I'll have a look at it first thing Monday morning.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2010 at 2:17am
Print Post Print Post  
I will do it.  What format do you want the records?  just some of them saved as html ?  pdf?  export several records in ascii?  Not sure (obviously).

Thank you.

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 2:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Whichever way works best for you. Either of those three works for me.  Smiley

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 3:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
From what I can see the DB file, and perhaps the DAT file, got set to be Readonly by another process, perhaps an anti-virus program. And the file remained that way for the rest of the day. So Sesame was unable to write the changes back to disk.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 11:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
that makes sense.  But I'm still mystified that we wouldn't have known immediately that there was a problem with the files ... all operations seemed to be working perfectly throughout the day - adding and saving orders, updating and saving records.

But then, I know just enough to get me killed.

I'm still inclined to blame it on Microsoft  Huh

Thanks for looking into it, Ray.

Larry
IP Logged