Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Programming & User Guides - Acrobate Reader (Read 9110 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Programming & User Guides - Acrobate Reader
Mar 16th, 2005 at 11:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

Having the new guides available for download, using the Acrobat Reader is great.

I went ahead and downloaded them, without giving it a second thought.

I should have given it a second thought.  Sad

I expected full page printouts and they only printed out in the size of the actual spiral bound guides.  They are close to impossible for me to read .... even with my glasses.

Now that I have 'spent' reams of paper and was disappointed, is there any way they could be made available in full-page size?

I could not find anything within the Acrobate Reader that would allow me to make that change.

Here's hopin'

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Programming & User Guides - Acrobate Reader
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 12:17am
Print Post Print Post  
PDF files are very similar to images, you are very limited with what you can do with them.  The page sizes, page breaks,  page numbering, fonts, etc. are all locked unless you can do disassembly.

The security for assembling the Sesame documents has been locked.

Haven't tested this yet, but this may work for you....
You could try this:
Use your browser (I prefer Mozilla), click on File, Open. 

Browse your system to open up the Sesame documentation file.  This should open with the browsers PDF Add-On. 

Click on the print icon associated with the PDF frame (forget about File, Print  for the browser). 

One of the options you will see is "Fit To Page".  This may do the trick.

You can select the current page. or a few pages for testing vs. printing out all pages. 

------------------------------

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 5:20am
Print Post Print Post  
Bob -

Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work.

I do have one printer that will enlargen print and I tried it at 110 percent (and others) with 110 being the best.

Unfortunately, it looks terrible because it prints to the right.  While my sample page did fit and was a little easier to read, I'm afraid that some pages might 'run off' the right margin.

So, I guess I'll just have to hope that Lantica will be merciful and provide a download that will be full page size (as they did for version 1.0).  And, if they're real merciful, perhaps they'll even replenish 2 reams of my quality paper that I totally wasted.   Grin

- Spencer

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 2:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
There is one other option you may want to check into.
a pdf to word.doc converter, I don't know what you paid for the paper but the program may pay for itself, I found several doing a google search they start about 39.95.I tried a demo it worked fine. Grin

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 3:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
"ProudPoppy"

I appreciate the suggestion, however, I rarely need the Acrobat reader and on the rare occasion that I do, the pages are usually set up for letter size (for example, Tom Marcellus' wonderful publications of "Inside Sesame."  And, as I mentioned before even Sesame's guides for version 1.0 are in full letter size.  So, I really hate to invest in yet another program that I would rarely use.

But, thanks!  Perhaps I can find a 'demo' to at least handle my present need.  Smiley

- Spencer

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2005 at 10:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
So, I guess I'll just have to hope that Lantica will be merciful and provide a download that will be full page size (as they did for version 1.0).  

Spencer - I've just printed out the same page from the 1.0 User Guide and the 1.1 Guide.  The printing covers exactly the same area. It was not full-page in 1.0. The two differences are ...

* The 1.0 pdf text is centered on the page
* The font is 1pt size smaller in the 1.1 guides.

I'm afraid I can't offer any suggestions as to how you could make the printed text larger, sorry.

Alec
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2005 at 10:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Alec -

I may be wrong about the 1.0 guide (although I don't think so) but the 'truth be known' I don't feel like checking it out.

There is one thing for sure and certain, though.  The Sesame Database Manager Supplement for version 1.1 absolutely, positively printed out in full letter-size paper. 

All 68 pages (plus the 6 pages of Sesame Menu Structure) are sitting right in front of me, utilizing the full page (with appropriate margins, of course) and easy to read.

I can't help but feel, therefore, that there must be a relatively easy way to make it available in this format.

- Spencer

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2005 at 11:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
There is one thing for sure and certain, though.  The Sesame Database Manager Supplement for version 1.1 absolutely, positively printed out in full letter-size paper.  

All 68 pages (plus the 6 pages of Sesame Menu Structure) are sitting right in front of me, utilizing the full page (with appropriate margins, of course) and easy to read.

I can't help but feel, therefore, that there must be a relatively easy way to make it available in this format.

Yes. Absolutely. The Supplement was formatted for letter paper, as it was printed on letter paper. The User Guides are formatted for the printed manual size. I know of no way, "relatively easy" or not, to get the User Guides to print full-page on larger paper.
I have tried using the "Expand small pages to paper size " facility, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. If anyone can offer any suggestions I'd be grateful.

Alec
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2005 at 11:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Alec -

I know practially nothing about PDF (and I'd like to keep it that way - lol), however

{ IF

the text is available in some other format, e.g. Word

OR

the text can be converted to Word

THEN

I would be happy to play with it to see if I can reformat it

ELSE

I guess we are all just up s***'s (self-censored for the 'polite' of us) Creek!!!!!

}

- Spencer

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #9 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 1:22am
Print Post Print Post  
I don't have access to Acrobat right now, but Creating Large-Format PDF Documents may be useful to Alec or Spencer if you have Acrobat and want to try this out:

It sounds like you may be able to use Acrobat distiller to refine the page sizes. 
I do use PDF995, but that is not the same as Distiller.

In any case, this is a good site for some PDF tips.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 1:34am
Print Post Print Post  
I just loaded the docs into acroread (adobe acrobat). One of the print options (at least on Linux), under "postscript options" is "Expand small pages to paper size". I set that option and printed to a postscript file and read that file is gv (ghostview - the Unix postscript file viewer) and indeed it had expanded the content of the pages to fill a letter size page (quite nicely).

I am at home at the moment, so I don't have Windows machine handy to try doing the same thing with acrobat on Windows. I would suspect that it is the same in that acrobat is a port from Windows to Linux.

Spencer, you might be able to find the same options in the Windows version, if you tell it to print to postscript.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #11 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 2:00am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Mark....

Just tried to do that in a remote link to Acrobat 4.0 and cannot duplicate that choice. 

I have over 10 printers to select from, and only 2 or 3 enable Postcript Options section: Distiller, PDF995, and MS Publisher.   And none of the selections in those options allow for "Expanding small pages".

I may also be able to try this on version 6.0 vs. 4.0.  but what  printer are you selecting to activate PostScrip Options?

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 2:16am
Print Post Print Post  
No special options were selected. The option is on the dialog box that appears when I select print from the pulldown menu. I guess Adobe figures (somewhat correctly) that if you are printing on Unix, you are going to be using Postscript.

I am running acroread 5.0.10 for Linux.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #13 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 3:02am
Print Post Print Post  
I opened the guide in Adobe, copied to clipboard then pasted in word.
Auto reformatted  to fit page which changed the 310 pages to 230, prints to full page through normal print options. With a little bit of format adjusting you can reduce the number of pages even more.
Hope that helps
Gary

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #14 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 4:19am
Print Post Print Post  
Mark I just tried using Adobe Acrobat 6.0 with Windows, and cannot find such an option.  The only thing close is "Fit To Page" but makes no difference.

I copied Programming Guide into Open Office and ended up with 199 pages.  But after doing Auto Format it ended up with 295 pages.  But Headers and Footers, Page numbers etc. were all embedded.  Too much work to reformat. 

Hmmm, Open Office has RegEx Find/Replace, may be do do some editing after all......... ...... ..... ......
NOPE, RegEx tools not strong enough in Open Office.

There are many PDF to Word utilities on Google, but did not see any free versions, all cost about $30 - $40 USD.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print