Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Printing Records and Subrecords with PrintString (Read 14779 times)
The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Printing Records and Subrecords with PrintStri
Reply #30 - Sep 22nd, 2004 at 12:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
It seems to me that as a whole the respondants to this have taken one line, completely out of context and used it and it alone to support their argument. Of course, people want printed reports. Maybe it should have been phrased "the last thing people want is to be limited to only printed reports".

Access, Crystal, and others offer - modern reports that are more than simply a table in isolation on a forced printed page - or worse, an ASCII file with forced page breaks.

The intent of the response on my part (and Erika's) was to refute the claim made by Foster that Q&A reports provide enough, and that they are (in relation) to Sesame - easy to generate.  Foster, may well be right in that for his business Q&A reports are enough. But that does not address the many cases where they are not. A Q&A report, hits the wall relatively early and cannot go any further, and to be taken to the end of its own limitations requires extremely obscure and nonstandard language (report codes). Once generated it is unalterable without losing all of its formatting and inserting inappropriate page breaks, headers and footers.

These limitations cannot be surmounted in Q&A. Sesame uses a standard language that is well known and accepted. Sesame reports can be altered after they have been generated. Sesame reports can be imported and used in thousands of other programs. 

When the claim is made that Q&A reports are easy to generate, it can only mean that the "claimer" either memorized a couple dozen codes with their accompanying arguments and syntax, or they are not using them. But, it cannot be reasonably claimed that these codes are "easy" to learn and memorize. An actual beginner in Q&A is immediately lost. We are not born knowing Q&A report codes, and there is no alternative to their memorization.

It is true, that by using HTML as the medium for Sesame reports we had to sacrifice the automatic and user controlled pagination. But, given that HTML is an accepted language world wide, by thousands of other applications and programs, has become an accepted document language by indexing systems, search systems, word processors, spreadsheets, and other databases, it seemed a very small price to pay.

It has been our policy to accept (and catalog) the users'  opinions and comments about Sesame, and to answer with technical solutions where we can (we have a better than 90% success rate).  In light of that, let me say that we do hear you, and we are (and have been) investigating ways to manage the "pagination issues" inherent to HTML. We are also looking into a "print only" format for reports that wil not use HTML to allow for the repetition of column headers and footers on page breaks.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #31 - Sep 22nd, 2004 at 12:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
I was told ten years ago that we were going paperless, so what is all these boxes of paper doing in my office, in my company the ones in higher places do not understand computers or do not trust that the info will be there when they need it, so for instance I have to print two reports each years consisting of approx 60-pages, really they only look at the last page "Total's"."Avg", but they still want to file the sixty pages why? beats me ! But until people's minds catch up with computer technology I will have to print paper reports, and when they want one of these reports they usually give me a hour to produce it, that has almost grinded my Sesame Application Dev to a halt, the header on each page I can live without, but the complexity to create a report quickly in Sesame I can't. I purchased Sesame ver 1.0 knowing that I more than likely would not be happy until it reached ver 5.0 or >.I'm very pleased with Sesame overall it is a great DBMS with powerful features that I haven't touched on. It has a super technical staff, so I believe its future is bright, "To me" its weakest point is its report writer. And really I need to spend a little more time in it, right now I've spent about 8-hours in it, being successful in creating the report and getting it to look acceptable about 50%. My bosses offices have many file cabinets in them, all 95% full, I have 22 yrs here I have 2-Drawers about 1/2 full, 90% of my work is on the computer and filed in it. Heck I still can't get them to use instant messenger, get a faster internet line "still on modems" and they don't like e-mail, so paper is a way of life around here, and I look foward to the day when they see the reports the way Mark & Erica do, it will be a great day. Wink

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2004 at 7:32pm by proudpoppy »  

IP Logged

Foster
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Sep 22nd, 2004 at 12:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Got some good responses, but still would like to know how you get column width as I get a report of 5 or 6 characters and is there an easy way to right align a column of numbers so that with or without a decimal they will lign up?
Foster

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #33 - Sep 22nd, 2004 at 12:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Got some good responses, but still would like to know how you get column width as I get a report of 5 or 6 characters

The Width setting is available from the Property Editor.

Quote:
and is there an easy way to right align a column of numbers so that with or without a decimal they will lign up?
Foster

I'm not sure what you mean. Normally, a column of numbers is formatted so that they all have the same number of decimal places, in which case, right-aligning is easy. If you are treating them as text and looking for something like this:

...that requires some doing, because it's not actually right or left aligned.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Foster
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Sep 22nd, 2004 at 1:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have tried width and it did nothing or in some cases did not "stick".  Several changes do not seem to "stick" , but no clear pattern.
As for columns, look on page 354.  $ sign lines up nice but not cents.  Column would look even more rough if dollar amounts  varied in number of digits, i.e. $1.00 or $20.00.
Foster

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #35 - Sep 22nd, 2004 at 1:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
To right-align a column, select the report element (you'll probably also want to select it's matching header and footer element - if any). On the Look Tab in the Property Editor, select one of the right align choices from the Label Alignment dropdown. I recommend number 9 - Right Top.

That should do it for you.  Smiley

- Hammer
IP Logged

Foster
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Sep 22nd, 2004 at 2:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sad It seems to be all or nothing  Sad
If I set width at 35 (characters?) then all report elements are set to that.  If I set Right Top as alignment then all elements are Right Top set.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #37 - Sep 22nd, 2004 at 2:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Sad It seems to be all or nothing  Sad
If I set width at 35 (characters?) then all report elements are set to that.  If I set Right Top as alignment then all elements are Right Top set. 

That's not how it works. Only those elements selected when you applied the setting should be affected.  If that's not what you're seeing, get in touch with Support so they can take a look at your Report.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #38 - Sep 22nd, 2004 at 4:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Foster,

I just got your database and I think you are confused as too what you are seeing.

In the report IRBOXLIST you have widths of, in order, 48, 90, 60, 48, 120, 60. If you click the "Look/Position" tab of the Property Viewer, found directly below the Property Editor, you will see the width settings.

The Property Viewer displays the settings for the currently selected item. Property Editor is where you change the settings for the currently selected item. Property Editor holds the values that you have set so far this session, so you can set them to the next element you select, if you wish to.

A nice explanation of Property Editor vs. Property Viewer can be found on page 79 of the Sesame Users Guide.

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Foster
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Sep 30th, 2004 at 5:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the help Grin  I can know get needed reports printed.  Just two suggestions: Fix it so we can get totals AND grand totals that line up!  Give us a way to print  more then one form to a page other then writing and embeding a program in a database.  OK, I will shut up now Lips Sealed

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #40 - Oct 5th, 2004 at 10:44am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Fix it so we can get totals AND grand totals that line up!

This is do-able with any version of Sesame since 1.0.2, by using more than one view in the report and setting the column widths.

This is extremely easy to do in 1.0.5, by using more than one group (no need to set column widths).

IP Logged

Foster
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Oct 5th, 2004 at 12:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for reply Smiley   Happy to hear about fix in 1.0.5.  I was under impression that views were NOT bound to columns and would not line up no matter how many space cells one created.  Wish I could have been at the conference and maybe I would have learned a thing or two!

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #42 - Oct 5th, 2004 at 12:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
For version 1.0.2 through 1.0.4:
View are not bound to columns - but the group within a view (all groups are in a view) are bound to columns. Because you can then set the widths the same for a set of columns in the group the same in the two views, you end up with columns that are the same size and position in each of the two views.

For version 1.0.5:
Just create a new group within the same view. No need to set widths.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #43 - Oct 5th, 2004 at 12:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks for reply Smiley   Happy to hear about fix in 1.0.5.  I was under impression that views were NOT bound to columns and would not line up no matter how many space cells one created.  Wish I could have been at the conference and maybe I would have learned a thing or two! 

As Cow says, in 1.0.4, you can use Width settings combined with multiple Views to get Grand Totals to line up. This method does not use the View Header and Footer.

Views are not bound to Group columns, however, in 1.0.5, you can have multiple Groups. If you add a Group that does not break, it will behave much like a View Header/Footer, but will be bound to the columns.

- Hammer
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #44 - Oct 29th, 2004 at 7:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well it has been a month since I posted above, and to be fair to Sesame & the Team who created it, I have been creating a lot of reports, and due to inexperience above I posted that the report writer was the weakest point in Sesame I was dead wrong, it is just as powerful if not more than any other report writer I've ever used including access, I hope I can keep my big mouth shut   Lips Sealed and stop raging Sesame when it just being ignorant of  Sesame that's the problem, Sesame has turned out to be the best and easist program I've ever used since Q & A., and I've just started getting into it, I have my inventory program working the way I have alway's wanted it to, but never could get it to in any other program!! And it took about 20 hours  from beginning to end. My application is 70% complete. A super powerful program. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Thank You !!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print