Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: Inside Sesame March issue (Read 6384 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Inside Sesame March issue
Mar 2nd, 2004 at 5:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
I remember, there was a request for guidance for Point of Sale kind of application and in this issue Tom has tackled that very skillfully. I believe this should definitely of great help to put some ideas into any custom needs of such system.

Tom did not address to printing yet but he mentioned about merge printing and as I understood, Sesame did not support merge printing of SubForms, well, not until the ver 1.0.1.  Is there something new addressing to this printing issue in version 1.0.2?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 6:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
You can print subforms using PrintString or a report with a subreport. Nothing "automatically" supports merge printing of subforms in the way I think you mean. Word does have a special conditional field type that you can use, but it's very complex. We're looking at making an example of this, when we get a chance.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 8:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the tip of "point of sale" Bharat. I just signed up for the newsletter.

You guys are great!

Steve A

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 8:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
OK, I think I just made the best purchase of my life! Not bad for $109.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go weep with joy!

Steve A.

IP Logged

dman

A Complete Dummy

Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 9:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
LOL That means that they sold at least 2 subscriptions today!.  Grin

I guess anything to do with invoicing must be pretty popular. (Hint, Hint for the suggestions thread)

IP Logged

tmarcellus
Lanticans

No personal text

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 9:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
If you look on page 14 near the end of the article, you'll see the promise to cover invoice printing in the April issue.

IP Logged

johnbits

No personal text

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 9:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
A quick glance at the March pdf revealed a reference that says "Requires Sesame 1.0.2"  So...is there a new release? If so, for reference, do you need to install 1.0.1 then 1.0.2, or can one go straght from 1.0 to 1.0.2?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 10:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
A quick glance at the March pdf revealed a reference that says "Requires Sesame 1.0.2"  So...is there a new release? If so, for reference, do you need to install 1.0.1 then 1.0.2, or can one go straght from 1.0 to 1.0.2?

1.0.2 is currently being tested for release. We expect it to be available very soon. And, yes, you can go straight from 1.0 to 1.0.2.  Smiley

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 10:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
If you look on page 14 near the end of the article, you'll see the promise to cover invoice printing in the April issue.

Tom,
Yes, I read that and I am looking forward to next issue to see how did you merge the SubForm elements. I thought it is very complex if not impossible with versions so far.  You also mentioned that the application requires ver 1.0.2. So, putting two together, I guessed that there is something in version 1.0.2 to make this simpler.  Am I right?  Do you want to give a hint as to how did you merge subform elements or we will have to wait for another long month to know that?

Bharat

IP Logged

GJK

Felix qui potuit rerum
cognoscere causas

Reply #9 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 10:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
I noticed that there was an item for sale in "Inside Sesame" called a utility to "Convert Fixed ASCII Files to Standard ASCII" for $89.00.

In Q&A, this as I recall was an Import and an Export option included in the price of the software. I think that this kind of detail could have made a strong program even stronger.  Sad

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #10 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 10:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
GJK,

I agree with you to the extent that Sesame development team should do whatever necesary to give it competitive edge in the market place. I felt that was not being done when I read that the calendar that Sesame  Team made for Q&A 5 is also good for Sesame and one can buy that to use with Sesame.  I thought the product would have been better in the competitive market if this would have been included with the product. But then I thought that we should support Lantica in whatever way we can and a few dollars here and there is not going to hurt us that much.

But I think companies should take a hint from the most successful company of the century and that happens to be in the same field namely software, who else but Microsoft?  It practically swept the market by incorporating whatever they could get into their products while others tried to sweep nickles and dimes. I hope this will be taken in the right spirit and not misconstrued as criticism. This is the matter of the philosophy of the company in general.

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2004 at 6:03am by Bharat_Naik »  

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #11 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 11:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
This is a question of the philosophy of the company in general.

Actually, it's not. Marble Publications/Inside Sesame are completely separate from Lantica. A third party choosing to charge for their work in developing certain utilites is in no way related to the company philosophy of Lantica. Lantica does not receive any money if you purchase applications or utilites through Inside Sesame or any other third party developer/consultant.

In addition, the existence of a third-party utility that performs a particular task will in no way prevent features from being added to Sesame itself. Development of Sesame is not affected by the development of third-party  tools.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #12 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 11:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
I referred here to the Calendar that Lanticans made and it is good for Sesame.  I am not speaking of the software utilities that Marble Publication is selling. However, if Lantica does not include such module into the Sesame in the future because some other principals of Lantica came out with the utility and it might hurt them, this kind of thinking is likely impede the growth of Sesame in the market place. I am not implying that Lantica is following such policy but I am raising the flag as to such policy could only hurt Sesame.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #13 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 11:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
I look at purchasing these products as a method of speeding my development time and learning better techniques at the same time. I have purchased and implemented into my own application the check writing program offered by Inside sesame and am glad to have saved the time and added a valuable tool to my app.

I am hopping in the future more people will offer little modules that do specific tasks that other developers and users can purchase to add to our own applications to speed and improve our products.

Well that is my 2 cents worth anyway  Smiley

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #14 - Mar 2nd, 2004 at 11:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Please let us get on the same page. Nobody wants to see Sesame grow and flourish as do the Users of Sesame and Q&A users. This feedback is meant to help in the long run.  It might hurt someone's feeling initially but we would not bother to take our time to write this if we do not have the best interest of Sesame at heart.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print