Normal Topic Windows 11 and Sesame (Read 3347 times)
Acebanner

Windows 11 and Sesame
Mar 31st, 2023 at 11:23am
Print Post Print Post  
Hello everyone, longtime user of Sesame here with a situation:

I have new computers in my office (running a client/server setup using Sesame 2.5.3).
Copied over the C:\Sesame folders to the new PCs running Windows 11, updated the shortcut properties and Sesame application opens on client computers, but I am faced with the message: "Some or all of the programming in this form has failed to compile. No event programming will run."

Does anyone have any tips on how to make Sesame run on Windows 11? Am I missed a library of some kind? Should I update Sesame? I'm a little scared to update on the basis that perhaps some of my old programming may stop working as intended.

EDIT: The Main Menu that I created for my application appears and I am able to hit the various buttons that open up forms, but the data is not accessible and even the top menu functions of Sesame itself are greyed out.

Help, please.  Smiley

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Windows 11 and Sesame
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 2:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Should you update? Absolutely!

Are you missing a library? No but you probably have a bad path to an include file.

That error message means that your programming is failing to compile. You will need to open your form in Sesame Designer, on a new computer that is having the issue, open the program editor and click Test->Test program. It will tell you where the error is. It is likely "Unknown Identifier" and one of the identifiers that is in the Sbasic_Include.sbas file. If it is, check your include statement. If it's just
Code
Select All
#Include "sbasic_include.sbas" 

then make sure that the sbasic_include.sbas file exists in the directory that is specified in the Start In properties of the Sesame Shortcut.

Quote:
..even the top menu functions of Sesame itself are greyed out.

They are likely greyed out as a result of programming disabling them.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 2:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray the Reaper wrote on Mar 31st, 2023 at 2:00pm:
Should you update? Absolutely!

What's the likelihood that my programming will be affected by updating from 2.5.3 to the latest version? Would you recommend that I perform the update on a duplicate version?

Ray the Reaper wrote on Mar 31st, 2023 at 2:00pm:
You will need to open your form in Sesame Designer, on a new computer that is having the issue, open the program editor and click Test->Test program. It will tell you where the error is. It is likely "Unknown Identifier" and one of the identifiers that is in the Sbasic_Include.sbas file. If it is, check your include statement. If it's just
Code
Select All
#Include "sbasic_include.sbas" 

then make sure that the sbasic_include.sbas file exists in the directory that is specified in the Start In properties of the Sesame Shortcut.
-Ray

Ok, so, because its a client/server setup, I should make a copy of my existing database (after shutting down the server) and place that copy on this new computer, then open it in Sesame Designer and run a test on the programming there.

From looking at the /Sesame directory on the new PC the sbasic_include.sbas file is present. I was able to open some of the sample databases in Sesame Designer and the test of the programming yielded no errors. I will report back on the test of the main application.

Thanks so much for the quick response, Ray.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 2:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Acebanner wrote on Mar 31st, 2023 at 2:46pm:
What's the likelihood that my programming will be affected by updating from 2.5.3 to the latest version? Would you recommend that I perform the update on a duplicate version?

It is unlikely that the upgrade will affect your programming and cause it not to work but we always recommend making a backup before any update just on the off chance something doesn't work.

Quote:
Ok, so, because its a client/server setup, I should make a copy of my existing database (after shutting down the server) and place that copy on this new computer, then open it in Sesame Designer and run a test on the programming there.

Or run Sesame Designer as a client. Just change your existing shortcut to run sdesigner.exe instead of sesame.exe. Leave everything else(the switches and the start in) the same.

Quote:
From looking at the /Sesame directory on the new PC the sbasic_include.sbas file is present. I was able to open some of the sample databases in Sesame Designer and the test of the programming yielded no errors. I will report back on the test of the main application.
Yes the samples will compile fine as the error is in the code in your database.

What is the Start In set to on the Sesame Client shortcut?

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 3:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
What is the Start In set to on the Sesame Client shortcut?

Start In is set to: C:\Sesame2\Program

So I copied the application over to a new directory called C:\Sesame2-test and opened up the database file in SDesigner. Running a test on the programming yields a lot of errors, so many that it ends with "too many errors to display".

I copied the sbas_... file into the C:\Sesame2-test directory and tried again, same problem. Here's a screen cap of errors shown from the main menu of the application.

Errors-Sesame.png ( 203 KB | 31 Downloads )
Errors-Sesame.png
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2023 at 3:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Acebanner wrote on Mar 31st, 2023 at 3:09pm:
Start In is set to: C:\Sesame2\Program

It should be C:\Sesame2. That'll fix it.

Programming Errors can cascade which is why you always deal with the first error first. In this case it is, like i guessed, Unknown Identifier. Sesame doesn't know what "search_mode_and" is. Looking at your include statement there is no directory specified for the .sbas file so Sesame/Designer is going to look for it in it's Working Directory. The Working Directory is set by the Start In of the shortcut. So in this case, Sesame is looking for sbasic_include.sbas in the  "C:\Sesame2\Program" directory, it's not there so it can't include it so the programming environment has no idea about any of the defines in it.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2023 at 4:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray, that fixed it! Thanks so much for the quick, on-point help.  Smiley

IP Logged