Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) One Client Logged In Multiple Times on One Server (Read 5985 times)
actiontech

One Client Logged In Multiple Times on One Server
Jan 2nd, 2017 at 6:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello,

I'm having a problem, where over a long period of time, say 2-4 weeks, one client will appear to be logged on to the Sesame Server as different occurrences. Example:

Host:

Andrea-PC
Andrea-PC
Andrea-PC

And since, this is a 3-user license, then no one else can log in, so it becomes a problem.

If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheesy

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: One Client Logged In Multiple Times on One Server
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2017 at 2:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello,

You will want to be sure that you are running the latest version of Sesame which is currently 2.6.2.

The next time you are in this situation, bring up Windows Task Manager on her computer, and show processes from all users. See how many instances of Sesame are running and what user account is running them.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

jacker

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2017 at 5:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have a similar issue with 2.6.2. I am running a client-server model. 18 licenses. This morning I was notified that no one could connect. I remoted into the server and noticed all 18 licenses were consumed mostly by one user who apparently had tried to connect over and over again.

So I figured, "Easy fix, I'll just kill all of his client processes."

I did that...brought the connections down to about 6 on the server. But still, no one could connect! Even myself so I couldn't even enter Server Administrator and do an orderly shutdown. My only option was to risk database corruption and do an Emergency Shutdown and then unlock all the applications.

This is hardly an improvement over 2.5!! Sesame is no longer self correcting. Now it will require someone who has access to the server (myself) to take action!

Guess my vacation plans are cancelled.   Angry

Jack - I'm smokin' past the filter and it's burnin' my lips...
YIM YIM  
IP Logged

actiontech

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 2:20am
Print Post Print Post  
In my case, I try to do a normal shut down from within the Sesame program, but then it ends up crashing and I have to kill the process. Then I just restart the server, go into Sesame and unlock the database then it works. But not sure why it's doing it in the first place. It's just one user in our case too, the only user on Windows 10, don't know if that makes a difference.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 3:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
jacker wrote on Jan 4th, 2017 at 5:25pm:
This is hardly an improvement over 2.5!! Sesame is no longer self correcting.

It is self correcting in regards to network communication in the same way that 2.5 was, and has even more network self correcting(It can reconnect after a drop in communication)  You'll see the client connection count decrease after a short amount of time(<2 minutes) after killing a client process.

A few questions that may narrow down what was happening:
Was the Sesame process on the Server computer using CPU and Memory at the time that no body could connect?
Was the Sesame Server processing commands? This can be seen on the Server window.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 3:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
actiontech wrote on Jan 5th, 2017 at 2:20am:
In my case, I try to do a normal shut down from within the Sesame program, but then it ends up crashing and I have to kill the process. Then I just restart the server, go into Sesame and unlock the database then it works. But not sure why it's doing it in the first place. It's just one user in our case too, the only user on Windows 10, don't know if that makes a difference.

When you say crash, what is the error message that you are receiving? If it is "Sesame server is no longer communicating with this client. Client will exit", that is not a crash but a network communication error. You'll want to check out the following knowledgebase article for assistance with that. http://www.lantica.com/support/kb/article/000137

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

actiontech

Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 5:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry, I mean by "crash" is the program just hangs, then I click on it again and it becomes non-responsive and whites-out then Windows prompts me if I want to close the program and I try that then it doesn't work. So, I open task manager and end the process.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 5:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sounds like you're experiencing communication issues. The client is waiting on a command from the server that is not coming in due to either a drop in the network, a closed port, or even a garbled packet. The client is waiting on the Server and Windows is waiting on Sesame so it flags us as non-responsive. You'll want to check everything in that knowledgebase article.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

actiontech

Reply #8 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 8:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
I unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in Device Manager > Network Adapter > Power Management, for the Andrea-PC.

Firewall/Ports stuff has already been taken care of.

I'll wait and see if there are any problems and report back.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2017 at 9:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
You may want to double check the firewall/port settings as we've seen updates undo/delete them.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

actiontech

Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 6:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Already checked, all is good with ports and program in firewall settings. Thanks.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #11 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 11:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sometimes I've see all the correct information in the Windows Firewall, but it still was not allowing connections until I disable the firewall rules for Sesame, and re-enable them, and then restart the Sesame server software.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

actiontech

Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2017 at 11:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame Server Error Notes

Sesame Server - Shows two instances of the same client logged on.

Client - Sesame is not open but is trying to open. Task Manager. Two instances of sesame.exe (32 bit) running.

Client - Close one instance.

Sesame Server - One less instance is running.

Client - Sesame still not open with one instance running. Close the other process sesame.exe (32 bit). Re-open sesame.exe from shortcut. Loads to 60, goes back to 59, and stays stuck on the screen at 59.

Sesame Server - Shows a new instance running. Each time trying to open the client again, shows a new instance. (e.g. clicking the icon) However, Sesame never actually opens on the screen. The instances (processes) can then be closed from the task manager.

Sesame Server - Not being able to properly shutdown from the administration menu in Sesame, I resort to Emergency Shutdown. This time the server fully shuts down, but times in the past it's froze, and I had to end the process completely from task maanger. Also, it's froze, if I was successful in opening a new instance of Sesame on the Server Computer, when attempting to do a proper shutdown.

Sesame Server - I re-open the Server. I am able to connect my client on the Server Computer. I unlock, backup, and am able to reconnect on my client from Client Computer.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #13 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 5:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
When this happens: The client running on Owner-PC, does it appear to be working correctly?
Does this only happen when you first come in in the morning or does it happen at other times?
If you bring up a command prompt and view Netstat on the Server computer and the client computer during a connection, are both ports being opened on both the Server and the Client?

On the Server computer in the C:\Sesame2 directory(if installed using the defaults) there will be a file named s2_log0000.log, send that file to support@lantica.com when you get a chance.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

actiontech

Reply #14 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 2:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
1. I can't remember completely, but I think if Sesame (DB Manager) is already open on the Server-PC when the crash occurs on the other computer (e.g. Owner-PC, Jenny-PC), it will continue to work. So it seems to be running on one computer but will no longer allow another one to connect.

2. It seems to happen at random times, maybe once a month. Haven't been able to correlate it to anything yet.

3. Both 20000 and 20001 are established on Server computer and Client computer. I'll try and check Netstat again if/when the crash occurs again.

Thank you, I'll send that right away.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print