Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sesame 3 Feature Requests (Read 26788 times)
Rick_R

Sesame 3 Feature Requests
Sep 22nd, 2011 at 6:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is not about the program itself but the documentation.

Add bookmarks to the PDF.  Also create an "embedded index".  It indexes all text in the document, which massively speeds up searches.

Related to that, start page numbering with the cover as page 1, i.e., no roman numerals for the Preface, etc.  That way, Page 7 in the Table of Contents will be Page 7 in the PDF.
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2011 at 1:15pm by Hammer »  

IP Logged

lksseven

Re: Help us make Sesame 3 better!
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 3:52am
Print Post Print Post  
1)  I'd like to be able to print, from a remote client, to a printer available to the server (for order entry/printing by both sales reps and customers).   

2)  Tableview wordwrap:  I'd like tableview to allow each line's row height to grow specific to the needs of the wordiest field in that line.

3)  Tableview color coding:  data color coded from field to field based upon criteria (this brand is red text, that brand is blue text).   I was trying to do this a while back, and now I can't remember if it wasn't in there yet, or was in there but had a bug.

4)  Send Text messages   

5)  Smart phone remote client ability

Larry
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 4:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Sep 23rd, 2011 at 3:52am:
1)  I'd like to be able to print, from a remote client, to a printer available to the server (for order entry/printing by both sales reps and customers).  

We might be able to add something like this.

Quote:
2)  Tableview wordwrap:  I'd like tableview to allow each line's row height to grow specific to the needs of the wordiest field in that line.

Again, pretty doable.

Quote:
3)  Tableview color coding:  data color coded from field to field based upon criteria (this brand is red text, that brand is blue text).   I was trying to do this a while back, and now I can't remember if it wasn't in there yet, or was in there but had a bug.

I believe Sesame2 can do this now. Look into the "On Draw" event.

Quote:
4)  Send Text messages  

There are two ways to do this, one of which is already available in Sesame2. You can use a texting service. This is a web page with a form that accepts a short message and sends it out to a recipient's phone. Such services can also receive messages for subscribers. Sesame2 can use this sort of service using the HTTP commands in SBasic. The other way is to actually connect a phone to the computer and use it like a text message modem, by sending "AT" commands to the phone through its serial (USB) port. The phone then sends the message. In either case, there needs to be some way for Sesame to "talk" to the cell network.

Quote:
5)  Smart phone remote client ability

This is easily the hardest request you have requested. There are some small handheld devices that run intel compatible code for either Windows or Linux that will run Sesame, and may double as phones. In fact, a handful of people on this forum have such devices and have run Sesame on them, though I don't know if they are or can be used as phones.

Rewriting Sesame to run on iOS (which requires a rewrite into Objective-C) or on Android (which requires a rewrite in Java) is a goal I would love to take up, but it is very daunting. Perhaps a somewhat less functional mini-client may be pretty doable. Of course, with the free API and a fairly simple requirement set, getting Sesame data on an Android phone would be easy. And there are a number of VNC that allow you to "run" Sesame on your phone now, at least as far as the screen and keyboard are concerned.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 6:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Sep 23rd, 2011 at 3:52am:
5)  Smart phone remote client ability

Here is Sesame running in VNC on a HTC Inspire smartphone running Android:

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Sesame 3 Feature Requests
Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 9:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Look cool!! Are we going to implement this in Sesame 3?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 9:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Sep 23rd, 2011 at 9:07pm:
Look cool!! Are we going to implement this in Sesame 3?

You can do it right now with Sesame 2. We started a VNC server on one of our boxes. I then connected to it with the free VNC client on my phone (androidVNC). At that point, I had control of the computer and could run Sesame as if I was sitting at the keyboard.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 3:53am
Print Post Print Post  
Inputting data on a remote client (offsite) and printing that record to a printer available to the host Sesame server would be fantastically useful (to my sphere, anyway).  And the field wordwrap ability in tableview form also would give (me, anyway) tremendous flexibility with product - services description field issues.

You guys are magic!

Larry
IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 8:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Sep 24th, 2011 at 3:53am:
Inputting data on a remote client (offsite) and printing that record to a printer available to the host Sesame server would be fantastically useful (to my sphere, anyway).  And the field wordwrap ability in tableview form also would give (me, anyway) tremendous flexibility with product - services description field issues.

It's not cross-platform and there are some security issues, but look into Windows Live Mesh.  I don't know whether you can have multiple simultaneous logons onto a server, and the remote user has to run either Vista/Win 7 or MSIE.  Mesh does not require any pinholes, etc., on the router.

IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 12:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Anything that improves report creation would be great.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 1:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Acebanner wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 12:02pm:
Anything that improves report creation would be great.

Sesame 3 has a completely redesigned super-easy-to-use WYSIWYG report designer.

- Hammer
IP Logged

waldingrl

Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 2:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Stemming from the other thread, as someone new to Sesame and currently working to get up to speed with it and convert our existing Q&A databases, it would be great to see demo videos maybe even added to the help menu. Or a demo video "quick start" guide.  It all seems so overwhemling right now, since I've been working in Q&A for so long, but I'm sure once I get up to speed it will be great!

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #11 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 2:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
waldingrl wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 2:44pm:
Stemming from the other thread, as someone new to Sesame and currently working to get up to speed with it and convert our existing Q&A databases, it would be great to see demo videos maybe even added to the help menu. Or a demo video "quick start" guide.  It all seems so overwhemling right now, since I've been working in Q&A for so long, but I'm sure once I get up to speed it will be great!

Can you give us an idea of which tasks you think we should include in a video Quick Start Guide?

As the people who wrote this program, it is very difficult for us to not know how it works. No matter how much we want to, we can't duplicate the perspective of someone looking at Sesame for the first time. The more you can share with us about what you were looking for when you first started with Sesame, the better a job we can do of making sure it's there for the next person. We really appreciate your input and feedback.

- Hammer
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 3:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
"2 + 2 = 4" video .... the most basic building blocks:  demonstrate how to add a field from a clean slate,  how to change its properties, how to change navigation order (when it's not the only field), how to add programming to several of the field events, how to save it, and then how to reconcile the changes to the database.

Larry
IP Logged

waldingrl

Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 7:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 3:32pm:
"2 + 2 = 4" video .... the most basic building blocks:  demonstrate how to add a field from a clean slate,  how to change its properties, how to change navigation order (when it's not the only field), how to add programming to several of the field events, how to save it, and then how to reconcile the changes to the database.

Exactly this.  Right now I fell a bit overwhelmed, but to see a new database be generated from a clean slate, then adding fields and forms and then adding reports, etc.. Also maybe a video or two regarding Q& a conversions.  For instance I was able to get my data over no problem but I'm a bit lost on how to possibly redesign it from this point.  I'd be glad to let you know what my "trouble spots" are as I encounter them.  I'm working slowly on this though as I have a few other pressing work issues at this time.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #14 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 8:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
waldingrl wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 7:48pm:
Exactly this.  Right now I fell a bit overwhelmed, but to see a new database be generated from a clean slate, then adding fields and forms and then adding reports, etc.. Also maybe a video or two regarding Q& a conversions.  For instance I was able to get my data over no problem but I'm a bit lost on how to possibly redesign it from this point.  I'd be glad to let you know what my "trouble spots" are as I encounter them.  I'm working slowly on this though as I have a few other pressing work issues at this time.

Thanks for the input! In the meantime, this might help - http://www.lantica.com/Support/kb/article/000147

- Hammer
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print