Normal Topic Create folders from filenames? (Read 9095 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Create folders from filenames?
Dec 30th, 2008 at 5:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Win XP and Vista:  Does anyone know of a utility (or DOS command) that will quickly create folders based on the filenames in a folder?  For instance,  have a folder called Ebooks which contains a number of text files, and I would like to create a folder for each file to go into.

Right now I'm highlighting each filename, copying, right-clicking elsewhere, creating a new folder, pasting the copied name, and then moving the file into it.  It's taking forever.  There must be a quicker way to do this.

On a separate but remotely related note, does anyone know of a DOS command that will create a directory and then move a number of files into it, all in one swell foop?  Right now, in a command window, I'm using MD to create the directory and then using MOVE to move the files into it.  For instance:

MD NewFolder
MOVE *files* Newfolder

This works and doesn't take too long, but it would be nicer if I could do something just do
MOVE *files* Newfolder
and have it create Newfolder if it doesn't exist.  When I try, though, DOS tells me "Cannot move multiple files to a single file".  Is there a mutant command that creates and moves at the same time?

Thanks for your help.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Create folders from filenames?
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 6:26pm
Print Post Print Post  

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged