Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Solitaire (Read 9315 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Solitaire
Jan 17th, 2008 at 5:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
As you know, when you win at Microsoft Solitaire, the cards start jumping off their collected piles and bounce across and off the screen.  Have you ever noticed that if you wiggle your mouse while they're jumping, they move faster than when the mouse is still?  I wonder why that is.  Any ideas?

(How's that for off in the weeds?)

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Solitaire
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 7:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Since I am a 30 year member of the Society of American Magicians(SAM), I think that I am will qualified to answer this for you.

It is not well known, but actually those solitaire cards are made from elephant skin.  If you saw the recent Myth Busters episode, you saw that they confirmed the myth that elephants are terrorized by mice.  So when you move the mouse through the cards, they are just having a natural reaction to the presence of the mouse.

Hopefully, I will not be thrown out of SAM for divulging the secret about the elephant hide.  Please do not say that you heard this from me.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Foster
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 8:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just as I was about to tell all, Bob beat me to the punch and did a much better job then I.  Grin

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 9:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,
Very creative. Grin

Now, for a serious attempt...
My guess would be that the rate the cards move is based on the processor cycles dedicated to Solitare. When you move the mouse around a lot in that window, you cause the OS to dedicate more cycles to that program, which makes it increment the position of the cards more frequently per second.

You could test this theory by moving the mouse around outside of the Solitare window (e.g. the desktop of another program), and see if the rate of the cards movement stays the same.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

johnbits

No personal text

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 1:47am
Print Post Print Post  
Yes, Bob, very clever...but only as a diversion!  In fact quite imaginative to use (metaphorically) a "slight of hand" illusion to distract us from the real truth.  We all know that these cards exist in cyberspace--a medium that is on a plane with other metaphysical phenomena.  Since I am not a member of SAM, I can reveal the obvious flaw in your explanation and provide the real reason this occurs.  Since it is the cursor, not the mouse, that interacts, it clearly is the spirits of the entities in the face cards reacting to the pointing device (cursor).  We all know that such etherical beings resent being discovered and therefore attempt to quickly move out of the way of being pointed to while they bounce around Unka Bill's window to the other side (AppleLand?).

By the way, can you make some more of the candidtates disappear?  I'm really suffering from Rhetoricitis!  Thanks in advance.

~John

P.S.  Carl, when you get this figured out--can you explain magnets to me?  Thanks.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 6:00am
Print Post Print Post  
I read your treatise, johnbits, and I have a simple rebuttal:

Darn, blankety blank blank, #@!%##!   Angry

If, in fact, it is the cursor, than I shall become a curser. (Of curse, I am kidding).   Roll Eyes

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

johnbits

No personal text

Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 3:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Geez, Bob, treatise?  You make it sound as if I went on and on.  Now I know my instructors always said that I tend to create "run-on" sentences of paragraph length, but of course I never believed them because we all know that brevity is bliss and if anything, I want to create succinct, clear communication whenever I can, unless, of course, the subject matter demands a more involved explanation or the detail is paramount versus the general explanation--assuming the topic is of critical importance to all involved; however, I always strive to get to the point as quickly as possble without inclusion of extraneous verbiage and...oh, guess maybe they were right.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #7 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 6:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Suggestion for johnbits:

Eliminate all of those commas, and your productivity will go up dramatically.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Foster
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 7:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,
He needs those breath marks to live!  Production may go up but the patient dies! Cry

IP Logged

johnbits

No personal text

Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2008 at 11:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
IthinkIseewhatyoumeanBobsoIthoughtIdreallyincreasethroughputandeliminatethespace
sviaconcantonationandotherpunctuationtooSothanksfortheadviceandgoodluckwithyourp
restigitationlanticabloggingandhighlyskilledcoding

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #10 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 2:45am
Print Post Print Post  
prestidigitation

Much better, you must really be happy now.
Anyway, thanks for your hope of luck, gotta get back to work now.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #11 - Jan 22nd, 2008 at 2:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Now, for a serious attempt...
My guess would be that the rate the cards move is based on the processor cycles dedicated to Solitare. When you move the mouse around a lot in that window, you cause the OS to dedicate more cycles to that program, which makes it increment the position of the cards more frequently per second.

You could test this theory by moving the mouse around outside of the Solitare window (e.g. the desktop of another program), and see if the rate of the cards movement stays the same.

Carl, your theory appears correct.  Moving the mouse around outside of the Solitaire window does not speed up the bouncing cards, but moving it around inside the window does.  YAY!  Now I can get some sleep!

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

johnbits

No personal text

Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 1:20am
Print Post Print Post  
Hey, Bob, I guess magic, commas and productivity aren't considered serious.  Nevertheless, how do you know that Solitaire wasn't programmed to make the bouncing cards move faster if user activity is detected within the window (indicating a player anxious to get to the end of the bouncing)?

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #13 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 1:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
johnbits wrote on Jan 23rd, 2008 at 1:20am:
...how do you know that Solitaire wasn't programmed to make the bouncing cards move faster if user activity is detected within the window (indicating a player anxious to get to the end of the bouncing)?

Because the user can simply left-click in the window to instantly stop the bouncing cards. Wink

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged