Locked Topic Bar Code Reader in Q&A (Read 2923 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Bar Code Reader in Q&A
Jul 26th, 2006 at 10:08pm

Hi -

I received the following e-mail and am unable to help them.  I was wondering whether anyone could offer some suggestions I could make.

"Hi Spencer,
We still use Q&A5 and it works for us still, I retire in 6 years so perhaps I will have to try getting my head around Sesame, I purchased it when it first came out, but the compile time put me off.

Anyway getting to my main question and who better to ask than you, I purchased a Bar code reader and it came with it's own awful database, do you know of anyway that I can link a basic bar code reader into Q&A5 even if I went through excel or similar.

Or could you point me in the right direction.

Regards

Bob Rowley

UK"

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: Bar Code Reader in Q&A
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 11:06pm

Bob Rowley,

I think there might be some confusion as to the understanding of the bar code and reader. All the barcode reader is doing is decoding what is written in the barcode and passing it to the machine as if it was entered via the keyboard. If you take any Sesame or Q&A database and f7 to search then shoot a barcode that contains data that would be the same as you typed and pressed f10 your search would retrieve successfully.

The bigger question becomes how do you want to use a bar code gun/reader with you’re sesame or Q&A application. if it is a simple string of numbers or  single words it is very simple. If you want to read in strings of words or have it automatically press F10 or …. You have to work a little harder. Most logic for a  Gun/Reader is contained in it and is programmed by shooting pre set programming bar codes.

If you are in a windows environment there are many styles and types of true type bar codes available that all you need do is enclose word or numbers in * and it is ready to go. Dos is a little different but easy enough also. I have used bar coding extensively with every version of Q&A and it works flawlessly with Sesame.

If you give us more specifics we will be able to steer you in the correct direction.

P.S. I am sorry to hear that you were put off by your initial try of Sesame, I urge you to get it out, download the latest update you can and try it again. I know many users that were unhappy with Sesame compared to Q&A until they learned all the incredible easy to use features that Sesame offers. Now they would never ever go back to Q&A.

P.S.S.  We probably should move this post to the off topic section since it is really for Q&A

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 11:08pm

Hi Spencer.

I can help thses pople with their Q&A and Bar Code reader.  This is an Off Topic discuussion, so you can contact me off line to followup on this.

Edited 7/27/06:  Rob has contacted me and we are working on this.
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2006 at 5:25pm by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 3:11pm

Bob Scott -

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section but I didn't think anyone looks anywhere else (myself included).  In any event, this should be the end of the discussion.

I just thought you would like to know Bob Rowley's response to your comment.  He said:

"I will dust Sesame down and try again in the near future."

Thanks for your help.

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 3:31pm

When he does dust it off be sure that he upgrades to 1.1.4. You should also upgrade Spencer if you have not done so already.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 4:33pm

Ray -

I most certainly did upgrade to 1.1.4 the moment I saw the notice ... and I very much appreciate the reminder.

I did forget to mention it to Rob and will do so now.

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Masterank

Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 7:52pm

Wink On PAGE 3 of the PDF file seen under:

http://www.lantica.com/Files/quickanswer2/cQA0303.PDF

the well known Tom Marcellus recommends the PHOENIX 80mm CCD USB barcode reader (see http://www.barcodereaders.com) for usage under Q&A and is as well giving some useful explanation and talks about some macros he had been programming to perform on his personal demand ...

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 3:49pm

Hi -

Once again thanks again for all the suggestions which I have passed on to Rob Rowley.

- Spencer

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #8 - Aug 3rd, 2006 at 5:21pm

Thanks all for inputs. 

I have been in touch with Rob for the past week when he contacted me thanks to Spencer. 

Scanners referenced above will not work in his application, and he cannot use a "wedge" type of interface. 

Although Sesame can work with barcodes, this is a Q&A issue right now and should probably be moved to Off Topic. 
Rob is not currently a Sesame user, but perhaps that may change.

It might be good to create a topic under General Discussion for BarCode issues to discuss Sesame specifics.  Tom Marcellus made a great presentation at the last National Users Conference.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged