Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Multiple services, no application (Read 8477 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Multiple services, no application
Reply #15 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 5:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
Good timing.

Was probably going into daemon this week.  We will wait awhile.

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #16 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 6:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Oct 9th, 2007 at 2:47pm:
No sir, nor am I running 2.0.3 yet.

Then you've got something else going for you. Have you noted the CPU usage on the Server system when this happens? I need to know what the CPU usage is at this time and if it's possible what each user is doing.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #17 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 6:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Then you've got something else going for you. Have you noted the CPU usage on the Server system when this happens? I need to know what the CPU usage is at this time and if it's possible what each user is doing.

Not yet.  I made a mental note when Erika suggested this to check the CPU when it happens, but it hasn't happened again so far.  It's the first thing I'll look at if/when it happens again, but hopefully it never will, knock wood, Hail Cthulu, and All Glory to the Hypno-Toad.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #18 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 9:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
It worked pretty good today until about 3:00 pm and it started freezing up on exit again, still running without daemon, have no idea what causing it now.  Cry

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #19 - Oct 10th, 2007 at 1:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Freezing or just Pausing? And where you clicking File->Close or File->Exit? If File->Exit was an application open at that time?

If you get into that state again let me know what the CPU usage is looking like.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #20 - Oct 12th, 2007 at 2:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
I had a shortcut in the startup folder to start sesame server when the m/c starts, it still had the daemon switch, maybe that was causing the problem after the session with hammer. I finally have a user besides myself and now I'm in and out of the office so I don't know whats happening when I'm out, she's not computer literate but she wants to learn.Today should tell. Its been a rough week thank you tech-support or all the help !!!  Smiley[size=14][/size]

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #21 - Oct 12th, 2007 at 8:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
proudpoppy wrote on Oct 12th, 2007 at 2:49pm:
I had a shortcut in the startup folder to start sesame server when the m/c starts, it still had the daemon switch, maybe that was causing the problem after the session with hammer.

That would have caused it.

Quote:
thank you tech-support or all the help !!!  Smiley

No problem, that is what we are here for.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #22 - Oct 13th, 2007 at 2:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
What is the m/c?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #23 - Oct 13th, 2007 at 5:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
I believe it is probably shorthand for MACHINE

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #24 - Oct 13th, 2007 at 5:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
The Server machine.

IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #25 - Oct 31st, 2007 at 6:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
This situation happened again today, to 2 users.  One had Sesame.exe running in services 4 times and the other had it 2 times, which, with four other users already logged in, maxed out my licenses.  The server's CPU showed nothing unusual.

Ending the services on the workstations and making sure the users were cleared in Sesame Server did not help; no one else could get Sesame to run, it just invisibly set itself in services.

I did a reboot of Sesame Server and was still unable to connect; my client got a "could not connect to server" message.  Meanwhile an error about no available "socket" came up on the server, and when I acknowledged this Sesame Server shut down.

A second reboot of Sesame Server and we were good to go again, but for a while there I thought I was going to be fired.

Questions:

Is there a way to program Sesame so that if a user already has an instance of it running some kind of message can appear to tell him so if he tries to start a second (or third, or fourth) instance?  Or is there any other way to enable only one instance of Sesame.exe to run on a client?

How long does it take Sesame Server to recognize that a client has dropped its connection when the workstation's Sesame.exe service is killed?

Is it possible that when the licenses max out Sesame Server stops allowing connection even if they then disconnect?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #26 - Oct 31st, 2007 at 7:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Oct 31st, 2007 at 6:27pm:
This situation happened again today, to 2 users.  One had Sesame.exe running in services 4 times and the other had it 2 times, which, with four other users already logged in, maxed out my licenses.  The server's CPU showed nothing unusual.

Were the other four users able to move around Sesame still? What were they all doing? Did you happen to see if the Commands Processed counter on the Sesame Server window was increasing?

Quote:
Ending the services on the workstations and making sure the users were cleared in Sesame Server did not help; no one else could get Sesame to run, it just invisibly set itself in services.

I did a reboot of Sesame Server and was still unable to connect; my client got a "could not connect to server" message.  Meanwhile an error about no available "socket" came up on the server, and when I acknowledged this Sesame Server shut down.

The failed to Create a Local Socket erorr message, which I'm betting is the one you got, will appear if Sesame Server is already running and you try to start another one on the same ports. So the original server was still running when the second one was trying to start up.

Quote:
Is there a way to program Sesame so that if a user already has an instance of it running some kind of message can appear to tell him so if he tries to start a second (or third, or fourth) instance?  Or is there any other way to enable only one instance of Sesame.exe to run on a client?

No.

Quote:
How long does it take Sesame Server to recognize that a client has dropped its connection when the workstation's Sesame.exe service is killed?

If the server is not busy running a Save or Load then it should take I think less than 10 seconds. and that is by killing the Sesame Process on the client. An actual client close frees up the License seat in under a second.

Quote:
Is it possible that when the licenses max out Sesame Server stops allowing connection even if they then disconnect?

No. Sesame Server will allow connections up to the point that the max number of Clients has been reached. Once it has been reached it will not allow connections again until a current client leaves, but once one of the current clients leave that seat is open and can be taken by a new client. So that is not possible.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #27 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 12:07am
Print Post Print Post  
You may want to check into this little utility, maybe it will solve your problem.

http://www.wizardwrx.com//Products/P6Just1.html

Wink

IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #28 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 1:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Were the other four users able to move around Sesame still? What were they all doing?

Unfortunately, I do not know the answer to either of these questions.  The urgency of the situation was such that I had to bump everyone off immediately; I had no time for investigation. Sad
Quote:
Did you happen to see if the Commands Processed counter on the Sesame Server window was increasing?

Sorry, I did not notice; I did not look to see.  I've barely noticed that part of the interface, as I do not know what it does or what it means beyond what is explained on page 489.  I still have much to learn.  Mostly I keep an eye on the Open Applications box.  If the situation happens again I'll be sure to take a look and report what I see.
Quote:
The failed to Create a Local Socket error message, which I'm betting is the one you got, will appear if Sesame Server is already running and you try to start another one on the same ports. So the original server was still running when the second one was trying to start up.

Well, not to argue, but I'm almost sure this is not the case.  When I shut down Sesame Server I used Server Administration.  It ran its notification routine, shut down my client, and then shut down SS.  It was only then that I tried starting it up again.  But again, we were in rush mode so who can say?  It shut down when I acknowledged its error message, and then I started it up again, after which all was well.  I'm pretty sure the "socket" error said something about "available", but in my haste I did not write it down and my memory sucks since the ECT. In any event, I'll be sure to try to take my time in the future, just in case. 
Quote:
If the server is not busy running a Save or Load then it should take I think less than 10 seconds. and that is by killing the Sesame Process on the client. An actual client close frees up the License seat in under a second. Sesame Server will allow connections up to the point that the max number of Clients has been reached. Once it has been reached it will not allow connections again until a current client leaves, but once one of the current clients leave that seat is open and can be taken by a new client.

Good to know, thank you.  I'll keep an eye on this.  I'm tempted to buy more licenses but I know this won't help, as my users will just keep banging their icon until it maxes again (besides which, once Sesame has settled in as an invisible service with no application running, clients are unable to connect until the Server is rebooted, so it doesn't matter if the licenses are maxed out or not.)

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #29 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 1:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
You may want to check into this little utility, maybe it will solve your problem.
http://www.wizardwrx.com//Products/P6Just1.html

Interesting, thanks.  I'll experiment with it.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print