Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Suggestions for future version (Read 10109 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Suggestions for future version
Reply #30 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 4:00am
Print Post Print Post  
How about multi-page tiff format that could be easily converted to pdf as needed?

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #31 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 4:04am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Actually, just looking around, I found some command line scan/acquire/convert utilities for windows.

Acquire from Dosadi ($99 USD)
http://www.dosadi.com/acqdet.htm

Able Graphics Manager ($35 USD)
http://www.graphicregion.com/products.htm

It also looks like the SANE command line tools have been ported to windows (in several incarnations) - and most are free.

http://sanetwain.ozuzo.net/
http://thegoldenear.org/toolbox/unices/scanning.html

Does this mean it could be done in Sesame right now as it is? Is there anything Developers can do the make it simpler?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #32 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 4:14am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Does this mean it could be done in Sesame right now as it is? Is there anything Developers can do the make it simpler?

Yes, it can be done right now. I don't have a scanner at home (its late on Saturday night) to try things out, so I'm not sure how difficult it would be.  Looking at the command line scan utility included in most Linux systems ("scanimage") it looks to be pretty easy to do with @Shell.

It is possible for us to license one of several TWAIN libraries. Some of them are not DLL, they are static libraries. That would allow Sesame to scan directly into Sesame without saving an external file of any kind. I haven't looked into cost. Also, as I said, it wouldn't be readily cross platform.

Of course, I'm not sure that having any of the binary formats (images, PDFs) actually embedded in the application file (.db, .dat) is actually useful for anything other than making it very easy to copy and transport. Being binary, they could not be searched or displayed in Sesame easily.

As external files (as would be made by command line tools), the scan results could be used in Sesame by filename, much like Sesame uses images or HTML files.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #33 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 5:53am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark. I will look into the few links that you have given and see what they have to offer.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #34 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 2:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes, I located and tested out the command line scanner program with all different switches that one needs to have in order to have the completely seamless operation. One can choose size, type of file including pdf, no user interface, adf, multipage and much, much  more. Even one can put multiple different switches in a text file and call that text file in the command.

http://www.dynarithmic.com/dtwain_twainsave.html

I can foresee using @shell to get the document image in the computer and locator link in the system using the above program and  @Asychshell to open it with linked program.  Using programing, one can make unique name of the file without having to choose the name by the user. Ofcourse user can add a little description preferably from combo box, such as lab report, Patient ID card, Insurance Card, Payment Voucher, consult note, x ray report and so on.  This amounts to one click to get the document or documents in the system and one click to open it.  Now we have reasonably good and workable document management system within Sesame and within our favorite application. 

The above program has 30 days free trial and cost about $79 but it is well worth to have integrated document management system within your application. I can foresee having paperless office now.  Possibilities are endless. Thanks to Sesame Developers Team and exceptional support.

Bharat Naik

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #35 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 2:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
OCR in Adobe Acrobat is very good (not in the Reader), that makes editing and modification of the document easy.  It might also save storage space as I believe, searchable .pdf takes less space to store as it is not an image file.

IP Logged

wildwood

No personal text

Reply #36 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 4:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hey Gentlemen,
Don't know if this will be of help, but its is a very, very easy utility, and free, to convert images or documents into a pdf file.
The link is:
http://www.pdfonline.com/convert_pdf.asp

Peter

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #37 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 9:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Peter,
The application that is under discussion is a command line scanner utility that would help to automize scanning and putting the automatically generated pdf file name into Sesame layout element. This will help making and integrating document management application into your application using Sesame. Sesame is very good at using external resources using @shell and @asynchshell. So far we have seen it using MS Word, Browsers, Excel, email program, Dialer, Spellchek, etc.  The list will go on and on as we dig further. All these lands a lot of power to Sesame.

IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #38 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 2:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
A couple of thoughts/requests:

1. When opening a file from Sesame, it is a bit disconcerting to have the "Root Directories" drop-down list disappear if the mouse button is released.  I find in most applications (in fact, Sesame seems to be the only exception in my experience) when you click on the drop-down arrow the selections drop down and remain present until a selection is made with another click.  In Sesame you have to hold the mouse, slide over to the directory you want, hover, and release.  Many of my experimental databases are in different directories so I use this often, but it is frustrating to see the directory selection disappear even after numerous uses.

2. The F6 "Notes" editor...would it be possible to have "Save" as a toolbar menu choice instead of (or in addition to) placing it under the file menu?  X-ing out of this box and losing my changes has caught me many times.  Seeing "Save" right in front of me will help.  And I'm sure this issue will come up when I show the editor to my users.  They are used to Q&A's F6 editor, which will warn them of unsaved changes and requires F10 to save.  In Sesame there is no warning, and F10 moves to the next record.

3. Also related to the "Notes" editor:  would it be possible to have "Edit" added to the right-click menu when you click in a field?  This would then open the "Notes" editor.  Current selections are Undo, Paste, Select All, Copy, Cut, Clear, and Help.  And now that I think of it, the ordering of these choices seems odd.  Not that it really makes much difference but I'm used to seeing a different order in just about every other program I use:  Undo, Redo, Cut, Copy, Paste, Clear, Select All.

Thank you for listening to my ideas.

« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2006 at 4:47pm by Infinity »  

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #39 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 3:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Regarding the Captain's post:

1. This would be nice if it worked more like other Windows windows. Does Linux or a Mac work this way? (I only use Windows.)

2. Ditto

3. Ditto

Good suggestions.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #40 - Apr 18th, 2006 at 1:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
2. The F6 "Notes" editor...would it be possible to have "Save" as a toolbar menu choice instead of (or in addition to) placing it under the file menu?  X-ing out of this box and losing my changes has caught me many times.  Seeing "Save" right in front of me will help.  And I'm sure this issue will come up when I show the editor to my users.  They are used to Q&A's F6 editor, which will warn them of unsaved changes and requires F10 to save.  In Sesame there is no warning, and F10 moves to the next record.

In 2.0 both the Field Editor and the @PopupStringEditor() Editor will prompt you to save changes, if anything has been changed, when you close the window by either Esc or the little Red X. The options on this dialog are Save, Discard, and Cancel.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #41 - Apr 18th, 2006 at 5:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,