Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Non-Working "as is" Search Characters (Read 6001 times)
The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Non-Working "as is" Search Characters
Reply #30 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 5:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer,
You might want to consider sending search related documents to Alec Mulvey. His expertise in Sesame and Q&A searching surpasses Ray's and (certainly) mine, and - as far as I know, is unrivaled.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #31 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 5:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

I couldn't find an e-mail address for you, so I sent it to Mark and asked him to "share" it with you.  Just tell me the best way to send it and it's on the way.

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #32 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 5:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

I've never gotten any response to any e-mail I have sent Alec so I'm not sure I have a correct e-mail address.

If you tell me where to send it, I'll be happy to.

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #33 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 5:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just send it to Support@Lantica.com and I'll pass it out.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #34 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 5:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

It's in the (e) mail   lol

Thanks!

e-gads, this is just like "instant messaging."  lol

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #35 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 5:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Got it, Thanks. I'll pass it onto Alec. I know he is rather busy lately so it may take him a while to read over it.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #36 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 4:38am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I just found another character that will not work (by itself) in a retrieve spec.

The character is an asterisk  *

Use either /*    or    [* and the search will work.

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #37 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 2:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hi -

I just found another character that will not work (by itself) in a retrieve spec.

The character is an asterisk  *

Use either /*    or    [* and the search will work.
Thanks!

Spencer, when you say "does not work", you mean that it implements a search command (does some work). Every character that you have found so far in one way or another implements a search command (work). As such, to use them literally, Sesame provides a means to "escape" or literalize that search command - to tell it that, this time, you intend to find that character itself as opposed to running the command that character represents.

In almost every case these characters are hold overs from Q&A or are the very well known characters that implement regular expressions. In any case, any database that implements a search language, has a set of these characters. And, in almost every case, the backslash "\" is used to escape them.

In these posts and in the title of this thread, you seem to be implying that there is something broken. Having command characters in the search language is a necessary feature of a search language. Most of these are derived from Q&A and implemented very similarly. A handful are new additions or modifications of the Q&A character (like "~" no longer meaning "soundex"). And, I will grant that something less than five of them slipped by undocumented (There are two that I know of: "[" and "*"). But, in all, they do the commands they are intended to do.

To describe them as "non-working" is missleading. These are the characters that do all of the "work" of a search language. Without them, every search spec would have to be absolutely identical to the value in the field. No range operations could be performed. No comparison operations could be done (i.e.: "< 22"). There could be no wildcard searches. There could be no search spec programming, etc..

The pages between 221 and 255 of the User's Manual outline these command characters, and on page 235 the "escaping" of command characters is described.

Quote:
More Special search characters
Here are several more characters that have a specific meaning in Sesame searches.(The more commonly-used ones have already been described.):
\ Means "treat the next character as a literal character."
] Means "treat what follows as a text string."
& Means AND — used to string together multiple criteria.
~ Means "make this a case-sensitive search."

\ Suppresses the special meaning of characters such as &, =, .. and so forth, and is used immediately before such a character. It affects only the single character following the \. You can use \ anywhere in the criteria and you can use it more than once. Examples of use include finding records that have been inadvertently added by entering retrieve criteria in Add mode, and searching for characters such as the ampersand ("&") and equals ("=") sign.

] Performs a text search in a non-text field. The ] must be the first character of the criteria. There are limited opportunities to use this special search character because Sesame's strict data typing prohibits the entry of invalid information in number and date fields, for example. The primary use of ] is to perform wildcard searches in date fields. This is possible because the underlying value stored in the date field — regardless of format — is stored in YYYY/MM/DD (2003/12/15, for example) format.
By beginning the search criteria with ] you can use Sesame's regular wildcard characters. This will be shown in the examples below.

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #38 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 5:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

I thought that both the intent of my communication - even in the title NON-WORKING "AS IS" SEARCH CHARACTERS - and the dialogue - made it clear that what I was saying is that the character could not be used "as is" in a retrieve spec.  The "not-working" part referred to the fact that you could not use it as a retrieve spec, BY ITSELF

I understand full well, that characters have special meanings and that it is intended and I understand full well the use of "escape" characters.  I am simply saying that you have to modify the character (use it in conjunction with the escape command) to get the result you want.

As in many of the characters discussed, yesterday I entered an asterisk in a "mark" field I use to uniquely identify records for special use and/or retrieval.  I entereded an asterisk in the one field on several records.

I then went to the retrieve spec and in the same field entered an asterisk.  I pressed F10 and my records were not retrieved.  That is what I meant by "didn't work" AS IS - AND AS A RETRIEVE SPEC.  

When I entered \* in the retirev spec, it "worked" meaning it retrieved the records I wanted.

Had I entered an "A" (or hundreds of other choices) in the mark field and entered an A in the retrieve spec, I would have gotten the desired results.  

If I had difficulty with the use of these characters as a retrieve spec, I can't help but feel that other people would have the same problem, as well.  So I was simply trying to communicate HOW to perform the retrieve to get the "anticipated" results.

I hope this clarifies it.

Speaking of the tilde ~ by the way, is there a way to do a soundex search in Sesame?  I found it a very useful tool and had need for it just yesterday.  The only thing I could find in the user guide is that "soundex searches are not supported in 1.0."  The "implication" is that it will be supported in a later version.  Has it been added to one of the updates and, if not, will it be?

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #39 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 5:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer,

I just looked through the source for 1.1.3 and I found no reference that the '*' is a special search character. If a field has only a * in it then a * in the retrieve spec will find that record. '..*.." will find any record that has a * in that field.

In what case is it not working for you?

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #40 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 5:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

I stand corrected and withdraw my comments about the asterisk *.

As I said, yesterday I entered an asterisk in several records.  When I entered an asterisk in the retrieve spec, it did NOT work (i.e. it did not retrieve the records I had marked with the asterisk).

It is possible that I neglected to press F3 before I did the search and that there was a "leftover" spec in a field that was not visible.

I just tried it, now, the way I did it yesterday and it worked just fine without the escape character.

My apologies and thank you!

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #41 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 6:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
If I had difficulty with the use of these characters as a retrieve spec, I can't help but feel that other people would have the same problem, as well.

Do you have any suggestions as to how we might document this better? It is approximately 90% compatible with Q&A's syntax - so any Q&A documentation on search syntax pretty much applies. We can't (of course) simply copy the Q&A documentation. But does Tom's book on Q&A (for example) make this any clearer for you than do the Sesame manuals, or any of the other +/-12 books that cover Q&A/Sesame search syntax?

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #42 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 7:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

I think that the document I sent you makes it a little clearer. 

By combining what I sent you with the documentation already in the user guide, I think it would be more complete.

- Spencer

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #43 - Dec 8th, 2005 at 10:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
From "Tom's book", page 211:
=============================
Quote:
\  Finds literal character following symbol (\? finds question mark).

Special Usage Searches
/..
]
~
I have eliminated the text next to the four patterns noted above.  There is one sentence for each of the lines, except the ~ soundex has many examples.  The Sesame documentation provides much more detail.
-----------------------------------
Editing note: the symbols above are not too clear on my browser. Reading the four groups, top to bottom, are:
Double Periods
Forward slash, double periods
Right closing bracket
Tilde
-----------------------------
And "Tom's book" is the excellent "Q&A Bible" by Thomas J. Marcellus, editor of The Quick Answer, and now editor of the excellent Inside Sesame.
=====================================
If I am not mistaken, in Sesame, using the backslash escape character "\" is not limited to "special characters".  You can use it for any character, so if in doubt, use it.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print