Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Non-Working "as is" Search Characters (Read 6004 times)
Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Non-Working "as is" Search Characters
Reply #15 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 3:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
[quote author=SpencerWulwick  link=1133387185/0#11 date=1133400014]Now I am even confusing myself.

Marc -  I [b]know[/b] that recently I had tried searching for // and it would not work unless I typed ..\/\/..

YET, I just tried it using ..//.. and it worked just fine.  Is it possible you "fixed" (or changed) something in the most recent release of verion 1.1.3 ?  [color=Red]Would still like feedback on this point.  Thanks![/color][/quote]

Spencer,

Nothing was changed in 1.1.3 in regards to searching for '//' in an element. I just tried it here in 1.1.2 and you can search for '//' using '..//..'  I even went back to version 1.0 and the same behavior is there as well you can search for '//' using '..//..'

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #16 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 4:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
[quote author=SpencerWulwick  link=1133387185/0#3 date=1133390666]I checked the references you gave me, Ray, and did not find a complete, comprehensive listing.  I did pick up the equal sign ( = ) as another special character; however I did not see the forward slash ( / ) listed (per se).   So, I am now intrested in hearing from anyone who is aware of any special search needs.[/quote]

The / is on page 224 of the Sesame 1.1 User Guide right above the = sign. It is roughly 2 3/4 inches down the page. If you have the 1.0 User guide it is on page 196 roughly 6 inches down the page.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #17 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 4:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

I probably wasn't clear when I said that I couldn't find use of the "/" in the user guide.  I wasn't referring to it's primary use regarding "not" ... I was referring to its use as an escape character to find the literal character following it.  

I was asking if that specific point was documented.

As for the // not working, I guess that will just remain a mystery as to why I originally could not use it.  What I had done was set up some records for import to Sesame.  Some of the "remarks" fields contained paragraph marks within the field.  In order for this not to be misinterpred as a new record, on import to Sesame, I did a search and replace of the paragraph marks with //. I thought I would then simply search for the records containing // and replace it with paragraph returns.  

I know that when I did my search it did not retrieve the records and I started over using something else.  In any case, it is clear that it does work ... and I may have had another "problem" that I didn't take into consideration.

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #18 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 4:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Ray -

I probably wasn't clear when I said that I couldn't find use of the "/" in the user guide.  I wasn't referring to it's primary use regarding "not" ... I was referring to its use as an escape character to find the literal character following it. 

The Forward Slash '/' is not an escape character the Back Slash '\' is. The backslash '\' is documented on page 235 of the Sesame 1.1 User Guide or page 207 of the Sesame 1.0 User Guide.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #19 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 5:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray

Mea culpa and thank you for making the point.  Somewhere my message(s) went bonkers referring to \ and or /

In any event, page 235 is what I was looking for and I don't know why I missed it the first time.

Thanks

- Spencer

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #20 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 5:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

Quote:
No. That is incorrect. A single period has no meaning to Sesame and does not need to be escaped - though a double period does.

So, if you have a field that says: "Mary.Lister" and you create a search spec for that field that says "Mary.Lister", Sesame will find the record that has that field saying "Mary.Lister" without anything being backslashed or escaped.

I disagree with you on this point, and I think it may be that we are each using different search criteria from the other.  It sounds to me like you are specifically entering "Mary.Lister" and I agree with you that that will work.

However, my objective is to find any field that has one (or more) "dots" (periods, whatever you call it) in a field in a record.

So, in my "test" database, I have:
    mary . spencer
    Spencer .. Mark
    Spencer .. Mary
    Spencer..Mary
    mary spencer.

If I use .....   (two dots for a "wild card", one dot that I want to find and two more dots for a "wild card"), sesame only retrieves the record:

mary spencer.

I can retrieve all appropriate records by using ..\...

or  (CONGRATULATIONS TO ME (thanks to your feedback), I FOUND A MEANINGFUL USE FOR [ TO WORK)

I can also retrieve all appropriate records by simply using [.

With regard to your example of using [ I still don't get it.  Sorry!

If a record contains: 

Mary..A..Lister..Billingsham..Wadsworth

and I want to find only that record, I can simply enter a retrieve spec of:

and the [ is not needed. 

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #21 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 5:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark -

I disagree with you on this point, and I think it may be that we are each using different search criteria from the other.  It sounds to me like you are specifically entering "Mary.Lister" and I agree with you that that will work.

However, my objective is to find any field that has one (or more) "dots" (periods, whatever you call it) in a field in a record.

So, in my "test" database, I have:
    mary . spencer
    Spencer .. Mark
    Spencer .. Mary
    Spencer..Mary
    mary spencer.

If I use .....   (two dots for a "wild card", one dot that I want to find and two more dots for a "wild card"), sesame only retrieves the record:

mary spencer.

I can retrieve all appropriate records by using ..\...

or  (CONGRATULATIONS TO ME (thanks to your feedback), I FOUND A MEANINGFUL USE FOR [ TO WORK)

I can also retrieve all appropriate records by simply using [.

You are both right. Mark meant if in a field you know there is a single period then it does not need to be escaped. You are searching for a period anywhere in that field in which case yes it needs to be escaped otherwise Sesame will see '.....' as '..' '..' '.' which is ending with a period as Sesame has no way to know that you want the middle period to be ignored unless you escape it.

Quote:
With regard to your example of using [ I still don't get it.  Sorry!

If a record contains: 

and I want to find only that record, I can simply enter a retrieve spec of:

and the [ is not needed. 

but a retrieve spec of
would also retrieve
    MaryAppleListerBillingshamWadsworth
    Mary Joe Fred A Lister Billingsham Wadsworth
    Mary Ann Clister Billingsham Fred Wadsworth
    MaryAListerBillingshamWadsworth
    Mary Ann Fred Joe Bob Sue Widlister Spencer Bob Billingsham Robert Sean Billy Barb Don John Lou Ginger Wadsworth

so to retrieve only the record whose field contains "Mary..A..Lister..Billingsham..Wadsworth" you would use a [

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #22 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 5:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

Got ya!  I guess I don't see a practical use of that type of entry in an actual application; however, it definitely illustrates the point and makes a distinction.  Thanks!

Now, after all this dialogue, I am preparing a word document listing the search characters that need special consideration.  I will e-mail you a copy and would appreciate feedback from you and Mark.

If it looks "ok" then I will make it available to anyone who would like it - and hope that they, in turn, will provide any feedback that might make it a better document.

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #23 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 6:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I'm getting close; however, I do not see the "problem" with max and min.  I am aware of the fact that I can use it to get a number of records such as max 5 or min 3 or whatever.

However, I do not see the affect that has on my searches.

If I enter Max, I retrieve all records with Max (and nothing else) in the field.  (Likewise with Min)

If I enter ..Max.. I retrieve all records that contain, anywhere in the field, the letters Max.  (Likewise with Min).

So, I am confused about when they need to be given "special" consideration in the situation I have described.

As far as I can tell the [] also works fine with single or wild card searches whether searching for either the left bracket or the right bracket or both. 

Can you give me any illustrations of where these characters won't work "properly" in a retrieve spec?

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #24 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 6:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer,

You have to give them special treatment if for example you are looking for all the records that have a value of "Max 3" in a field. Just typing 'Max 3' at the retrieve spec will give you the three highest records. Typing Max.. will get you 'Max 1', 'Maxwell', 'Maxax', etc. So to find only the records that say "Max 3" you would to use a [

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #25 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 6:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Aha!  Got it.  Thanks!

Did you see that I (thinking I could beat your reply - foolish me) modified the preceding note to include a comment about the brackets?

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #26 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 6:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
I just saw it. If you try to search for an entry that starts with a '[' and you type '[..' you are going to get any record that has '..' in it and not the records where the data in the field starts with '['

If you try to search for an entry that starts with a ']' and you type ']..' You are going to get every record I believe and not just the records where the data in the field starts with ']'.

There are others but those are the ones I knew.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #27 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 8:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well, I've got to put this aside for awhile and, unfortunately, I have not gotten a clear understanding of how the

[]
{
}

work.   (Grrr - and I don't understand why the forum won't let me separate the left and right brace, no matter what I try!  lol)

Other than that, the document is fairly complete, so I am going to e-mail it to you and would appreciate feedback on making it more viable for others to find it useful.

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #28 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 5:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I haven't gotten feedback (yet) on the document I sent Mark/Ray; however, since what I have come up with has already been useful to me, I am ready to share it.  Hopefully, someone might find use for it "as is" and others will be able to provide feedback to make it more complete.

So, if anyone wants a copy of the word document, summarizing these "special character" search considerations, just let me know here (or by email to) SWulwick@tampabay.rr.com.

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #29 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 5:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hi -

I haven't gotten feedback (yet) on the document I sent Mark/Ray; however, since what I have come up with has already been useful to me, I am ready to share it.  Hopefully, someone might find use for it "as is" and others will be able to provide feedback to make it more complete.

Spencer,

I just talked to Mark and neither of us received the document as of yet.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print