Normal Topic Skype -  free phone calls worldwide (Read 3161 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Skype -  free phone calls worldwide
Nov 29th, 2005 at 12:04am
Print Post Print Post  
Just wanted to share this utility with everyone.  I am not a reseller, but just an end user, and I have no relationship with Skype.

Skype is an Internet based phone service.  The basic free plan provides free, unlimited, world wide phone calls using your computer, speaker and microphone.  I have been using a $20 headset from Staples with Skype.

This has alllowed me to have free calls to Europe, Australia, calls from NH to FL and CA, and locally, for hours, at not charge.   In addition to phone connection, you can use a Chat board, transfer files, have conference calls.....quite a good deal.

You can download the Windows version from the following link:  http://www.skype.com/products/skype/windows/

if anyone is interested. my Skype id is "sensiblesolutions".   
And I know that Spencer Wulwick has a Skype id also.  I introduced this to him some time ago and it has been very useful in Sesame work collaboration.
You can also control who can contact you using Skype, so you can eliminate "spam" types of Internet calls.

==============================
You can also get "pay for" Skype services that also allows connections to/from regular phones too, for as little as .02/minute.  I have not used the pay services, so I cannot speak to the quality, but the free Internet service works great.

And finally, Ebay recently announced their intention to purchase the Skype business.  Not sure how it fits into their business model, but I think it is certainly a vote of confidence for the product's value.

Would be interested if you sign up.  If you do, then Skype me with that information.  Good luck, and enjoy! Grin

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

JJuarez

No personal text

Re: Skype -  free phone calls worldwide
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 5:17pm
Print Post Print Post  

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 10:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for that article JJuarez, great timing.

Now I guess I have to see how to hack into it so I can see if more security is needed at my end. Shocked   Need to learn more about the issues referenced.  Many programs have security risks, but frequently good security practices overcome that. 

Using firewalls and anti-malware on my own systems, using Skype for about a year, no know problems.   ???

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

JJuarez

No personal text

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 7:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have been wanting to try Skype to talk to relatives in Mexico...but when I saw that....didn't know if I should??

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 4:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have not removed, but that is my personal choice.  Many programs have "security risks".  Have you removed the browser you are using to read this forum?

If you have food antivirus and anti malware and firewall set up properly and up to date, then I would feel comfortable continuing to use it.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged