Normal Topic Q&A 5 memory error under XP (Read 2486 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Q&A 5 memory error under XP
Dec 13th, 2005 at 6:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
I don't know if it's because the size of the program has grown so large or what, but every time I try to edit the programming of my Workorder database (Q&A 5.0) under Windows XP I get a memory error "Not Enough Memory To Complete Your Request (See Appendix C)".  There's no error number associated.  My only choice is to acknowledge the error message, and when I click "OK" the program crashes and terminates.

Re-programming works fine under Win98, so I have to keep an extra Win98 machine in my office just for this purpose.

I can't understand why XP would have this problem.  I have 1 GB of RAM running on a 2.81 GHz Pentium 4 machine, Windows XP Pro with service pack 2.

Has anyone else experienced this?  If there a tweak I need to make to the startup settings for Q&A to make use of this memory?  I've tried setting the "Compatibility" switch of the batch file properties to both Windows 98 and Windows 95, with no success.

Any help would be appreciated.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Q&A 5 memory error under XP
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 9:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Scott....

A few things for you to check:

Use CTL-F3 from the Main Menu to see how your memory has been allocated.   In the column for Q&A, you should be seeing close to 600K, 128K for expanded and at least 3K for extended.

You may need to create a config.sys file for the Q&A shortcut. that loads himem.sys, emm386.exe ram, and doshigh, umb.

Shortcut memory settings should be set for 1024 for Expanded and Extended memory.

These three items are also rumored to help memory management:
Remove any Default Fonts that might be installed.
Limit printer definitions to one if possible
Unloading macros.

Other concerns, not really memory related:
Make sure the SpeedFix patch has been applied.

I have had stable running as long as I stay with real partitions of 1.7Gb or smaller with FAT32 format.  Also make sure that all temp files and personal folders use the same special partition.  Others may say this is not necessary, but I can only say this works for me.

-----------------

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2005 at 10:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bob!  I knew I could count on you for help.

Here's what I see when I ctrl+f3:
http://www.jamiara.com/QA5-settings.jpg

Nowhere near what you're telling me I should expect to see.  I'm not sure how I would craft a config file to adjust this, and my shortcut properties have no controls for tweaking memory.  Is it because I'm running a batch file that calls the Q&A executible?  Here's my current batch file:

Code
Select All
cd\QA_5
net use lpt3 \\miara_1\Invoice
net use lpt2 \\miara_1\Workorder
rem net use lpt1 \\miara_1\Laser
C:\QA_5\QA1.exe -PC:\QA_5\userpath -M0
rem net use lpt1 /delete 

Thanks again for your help.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 12:18am
Print Post Print Post  
Pressing CTL-F3 should be taking place when Q&A is open, at the Q&A Main Menu.

Re your other settings and batch file, try this:

From Explorer, the QA folder, right-click and drag qa.com to the desktop and make a shortcut there.

Right click the shortcut and left click on the Properties. 

On the tab for General cliok on Advanced to get references to Autoexec and Config.sys. 

On the tab for Memory, set the five values to Auto,. 1024, 1024, 1024, Auto.

Save the shortcut.

Now go back and edit the properties again, replacing qa.com in the Command line section to the Batch File.

Now edit the config.sys file to include the lines that I mentioned in my earlier message.
==================

Note, the steps above are from memory, so I apologize for any errors, but hope this will make sense for you..

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 3:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Re your other settings and batch file, try this:

From Explorer, the QA folder, right-click and drag qa.com to the desktop and make a shortcut there.

Right click the shortcut and left click on the Properties. 

On the tab for General cliok on Advanced to get references to Autoexec and Config.sys. 

On the tab for Memory, set the five values to Auto,. 1024, 1024, 1024, Auto.

Save the shortcut.

Now go back and edit the properties again, replacing qa.com in the Command line section to the Batch File.

OK, I did all this and now it works!  Callooh!  Callay!

I did not have to create/edit any config.sys file, for which I am grateful because I'm not sure I could do it correctly.  But I did the rest and got this:
http://www.jamiara.com/QA5-settings1.jpg

A question, though...my batch file previously referenced QA1.exe as the executable, now it references QA.com.  What is the difference between the two?  I think what made the difference with the memory error was choosing QA.com over QA1.exe.  I'm puzzled about why there are two executable files which start up the program, however, as well as how/why I ended up using QA1.exe previously.  It's not something I remember consciously choosing, so I was probably following some example in a book, perhaps an instruction about setting the userpath and startup macro.

I'll check back if I notice any problems running the program.  Thanks again for your help, Bob, I wish I had found this place and you a long time ago.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 5:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
You did find me about 10 years ago when you came to our Q&A Users Group.  You just stopped coming to the meetings. Grin 

The memory settings that you showed look good.

I don't recall the tech issues, but QA.com actually calls QA1.EXE.  The latter may appear to run correctly, but it does not have everything properly loaded.

I am surprised that the batch file changed to qa.com, and I am disappointed that I did not catch that in your earlier postings.  But, however that happened, that is what you want.

I also believe that the switches you are calling  may not be called correctly with qa1.exe.  They were designed to be called with qa.com.  If they were working, it was only by good luck and accident!

See you in Feb at Sesame Associates of New England user meeting?

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 7:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
You did find me about 10 years ago when you came to our Q&A Users Group.  You just stopped coming to the meetings. Grin

Life happened and it happened hard.   Undecided

Quote:
I don't recall the tech issues, but QA.com actually calls QA1.EXE.  The latter may appear to run correctly, but it does not have everything properly loaded.

Thanks, good to know.

Quote:
I am surprised that the batch file changed to qa.com, and I am disappointed that I did not catch that in your earlier postings.  But, however that happened, that is what you want.

That happened because I edited the batch file after following your instructions about using QA.com.

Quote:
I also believe that the switches you are calling  may not be called correctly with qa1.exe.  They were designed to be called with qa.com.  If they were working, it was only by good luck and accident!

All my user's batch files call QA1.exe and everything has been working fine for them.  Of course, none of them need to edit programming, so rarely do they have any memory errors.  If they ever do in the future I'll edit their batch files; until then I'll leave well enough alone.

Quote:
See you in Feb at Sesame Associates of New England user meeting?

Yes, I plan to be there.  Thanks again for your help.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged