Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Phone Dialer (Read 11012 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Phone Dialer
Reply #30 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 12:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
if @lt(home,5) = "(813)" or @lt(home,5) = "(727)" then
Vreturn = @shell(@chr(34) + "C:\Program Files\sesame\utilities\dialer.exe" + @Chr(34) + Home)

if not @lt(home,5) = "(813)" or @lt(home,5) = "(727)" then
Vreturn = @shell(@chr(34) + "C:\Program Files\sesame\utilities\dialer.exe" + @Chr(34) + 1 + Home)

Your code above did not provide for the spacee.

Vreturn = @shell(@chr(34) + "C:\Program Files\sesame\utilities\dialer.exe" + @Chr(34) + Home)

is missing a space, it should be

Vreturn = @shell(@chr(34) + "C:\Program Files\sesame\utilities\dialer.exe" + @Chr(34) + " " + Home)

Renaming the Dial.exe to Dialer.exe could be the part of the problem, since Dial.exe works through the Dialer.exe, it might be pointing to the same executable file.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #31 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 2:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat,

The dialer and code is great. Smiley
It should probably be added to programming examples so others can use this as a starting point.

I was doing something similar using a utility called Easydial32 by Wolfgang John. Unfortunately he has retired and removed the product from availability and the older version does not work as well with the newer operating systems.

The nice part about easydial32 was the ability to have it dial and then automatically exit. This allowed for pressing a command button the number was dialed and logged and then all the user needed to do was pickup the handset and talk. No need to do anything to remove the pop-up screen or hang up the phone.

Has anyone found documentation on dial.exe that allows us to control how it functions, such as display positions, log off times etceteras. 

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #32 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 5:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat -

I do not think that renaming Dial.exe to Dialer.exe presented any problem because as I said, for certain area codes it was working just fine.

Nevertheless your thoughts about it make perfectly good sense and I have gone ahead and renamed it back to Dial.exe (and, of course, changed my programming accordingly).

Something is really 'funny' about the 'space' issue.  I never had it in the portion of code for dialing area codes (813) and (727) and it presented no problem.

So naturally, I simply 'copied' that portion of the code to the portion for all other area codes. For some reason (unclear to me - but that doesn't matter), it does need the space when adding the '1' to the number .... so I put it in (but only for long distance calls).

And, guess what?

IT WOIKED!!!

So,  BLESS YOU, BLESS YOU, BLESS YOU!!!!

Now, I can hardly wait to try your other suggested code for being able to dial the number using the focused element.  Guess what I am going to do .....

RIGHT NOW?!!!!
lol

Thanks, so much for all the help.  Will be back later (I hope) with my 'final' code.

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #33 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 9:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob Scott,

As per your suggestion, I have placed the information in the programming examples. Thank you.

Quote:
Has anyone found documentation on dial.exe that allows us to control how it functions, such as display positions, log off times etceteras.  

dial.exe is basically using dialer.exe (TAPI) that comes with the MS Windows operating system.  It basically points to dialer.exe that does not seem to have command line code that includes picking up the phone and name, etc.  I believe documentation for dialer.exe will be also applicable to dial.exe.  

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #34 - Mar 16th, 2005 at 12:13am
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer:

You may be setting yourself up for a future problem, or a problem on another system by renaming dial.exe to dialer.exe.

I don't remember the source, but I seem to recall being cautioned about that very thing.  Appareantly Windows (some versions?) include dialer.exe as a normal file.  Many modem packages will remove the file named dialer, and replace it with its own.

I would suggest that before you rename dial.exe to dialer.exe, that:
1.  If it exists, make a copy of existing dialer.exe as win_dialer.exe.
2.  Keep another copy of your dial.exe, maybe a copy as my_dialer.exe.

That way, if you need to install/update some modem/fax drivers/files, if they delete dialer.exe you will have a copy of the file you need readily available.

------------------------------------------------------
I am curious, why bother to rename dial.exe at all?  Why not keep it as that name?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #35 - Mar 16th, 2005 at 6:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob -

I had simply changed the name to Dialer.exe because it seemed to be more 'definitive.'

As soon as Bharat pointed out the possible conflict, I changed it back to Dial.exe. I imagine that you didn't see my response to him.

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

DialPhone ( ) Re: Phone Dialer
Reply #36 - Mar 16th, 2005 at 7:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat -

I am:     ECSTATIC!!!!

You have absolutely come up with THE definitive solution I was looking for.   As most people can tell from the previous posts, I have been playing with this for the past couple of weeks and for the past couple of days have worked on practically nothing but this.  What is ironic, is that the solution is extremely simple, the programming code is minimal and the results are phenomenal.

To summarize, here's what I did and here's my 'final' code.

First, I downloaded Dial.exe from the link you provided as  [url]http://www.pcplus.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=5545 &subsectionid=390 [/url] and I installed it in the Utilities folder of my Sesame program files.  (It still 'bugs' me because I know that this utility is included in Windows XP and I just don't know how to access it).

Before I provide the code, please remember that I have six separate phone fields. Here, see for yourself:

Also, while most people need to dial local numbers without an area code and long-distance prefixed with 1, I had one additional need.  When I call St. Petersburg (727) I have to dial the area code but cannot use the 1 prefix.  (This seems to be coming more common for 'regional' call dialing).

Based on your suggested code which you posted in another section of the forum ...  http://www.lantica.com/Forum2/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gen_disc;action=display... ....
I simply placed the following code in my global code element:

Code
Select All
var vPhonenumber as String

Subroutine DialPhone ( )
var VSuccess as Int
var vAreacode as string = "813"
var vName as String = Mail Name  
var vPath as String = "C:\program files\sesame\utilities\"  

vPhonenumber = @num (vPhonenumber)

If @len (vPhonenumber) = 10 then
 {
  If @left (vPhonenumber, 3) = vAreacode then
  {  
   vPhonenumber = @Right (vPhonenumber, 7)
  }
  Else
  If @left (vPhonenumber, 3) = "727" then
  {  
   vPhonenumber = (vPhonenumber)
  }
  Else
  {
   vphonenumber = 1 + vPhonenumber
  }
 }

vsuccess = @Shell(@Chr(34) + vPath + "dial.exe" + @Chr(34) + " " + vPhonenumber  + " [" + vName +"]")  

If not vSuccess = 0 then
 {
  @msgbox ("Problem!!! Dialer did not work.", "", "")

}  
end subroutine  

Next, I placed the - incredibly simple and consistent code - in each of my six phone field elements in the On Element Entry event:

Code
Select All
vPhonenumber = ThisElement 

The last thing I did was  place the following code in the Command Button (Place Call) in the On Element Entry event:

Code
Select All
DialPhone ( ) 

That's it - that's all there is to it.  Now, all I have to do to dial a call is click on the appropriate phone number (any one of the six) and click on Place Call.  The call is placed and here's what I get:

I simply wait until I hear the modem dialing, pick up the receiver, and click on 'disconnect' and both of the extra windows disappear.  (As an aside, I always thought that 'disconnect' was a poor choice of words, because I thought that if I clicked on it, I would disconnect the call. All you are disconnecting is the MODEM, so that you don't get background noise).

This works EXACTLY as it worked in MS Access so I am both familiar and very comfortabale with it.

As I said before, thanks to Bharat, we now have the definitive answer (in my opinion, anyhow) to the issue of having a phone dialer in Sesame.

BRAVO!!!!!

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2005 at 9:11pm by SpencerWulwick »  

- Spencer

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #37 - Jul 11th, 2007 at 2:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I hope Bharat is still around, since he was so helpful with helping me set up my dialer in a Sesame database ... and I need help once again.

For two years, I have been enjoying the convience of using my dialer command button.

Out of the clear blue sky, it stopped working and it is driving me CRAZY!!!  Apparently, it has nothing to do with the programming.  The reason I say this is that if I open dialer.exe directly, it still doesn't work.

As I dial, I take the phone off the hook and, up until now,  I would hear the dial tone and then the "tones" of the number being dialed.  While nothing has changed, it simply won't dial the number (I still hear the dial tone but no longer hear any "tones" of numbers being dialed) and after several seconds I get a message "Failed:  could not connect the call"

I have tried to troubleshoot everying I could think of, including changing the modem.  When I perform diagnostics on the modem, I get a "success" message.  I have a dial tone and have changed the cords and everything.

I am totally baffled as to why this has stopped working and won't "rest" until I can use it again.  Any suggestions to help me fix my problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #38 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 2:43am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

Well, it turns out that it was my modem after all.  A new modem did the trick.

Now, however, my programming is not working in any of my databases, both old and those I converted.

I'll give Ray a call and hope that he'll have "mercy."  Smiley

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #39 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 8:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello All,

Spencer's problem turned out to be a different exe in place of the correct one. His Sbasic code was running fine in both 1.X and 2.0 but the correct dial.exe had been replaced with an incorrect one. I got him sorted out and he's off calling people with the click of a button.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #40 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 9:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
And if someone could tell me how I could properly "thank" Ray - other than just in words - I would really appreciate it.

I was on the phone yesterday with MicroSoft for at least 4 hours and I got absolutely nowhere.

Within a very short time, Ray figured it out, solved it, and got me up and running.  We are truly lucky to have him.  I'm so happy to have my dialer back that I'm calling people "just for the heck of it."  lol

- Spencer

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #41 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 5:24am
Print Post Print Post  
SpencerWulwick wrote on Jul 12th, 2007 at 9:11pm:
And if someone could tell me how I could properly "thank" Ray - other than just in words - I would really appreciate it.

I hear he is a huge Frank Zappa fan  Grin

SpencerWulwick wrote on Jul 12th, 2007 at 9:11pm:
We are truly lucky to have him.

That is a FACT!

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only