Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Phone Dialer (Read 11011 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Phone Dialer
Reply #15 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 5:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Please see the following link:
http://www.pcplus.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=5545&subsectioni...

dial.exe <phonenumber>  command line dials the phone.  It works fine.

IP Logged

walk-2-fly
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 6:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer,

all well understood, you simply want to own a "wielding stick" to slash down the problem, so, I think, this tool:

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~citrine/CitrineDialer.exe

is what you are looking for, you drag the cursor above the phone number to copy it to the dialer and off you go ... Cheesy

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #17 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 7:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat -

Thanks for the download info; that is getting me closer to what I want.  Ironically, I do believe it is simply accessing a Windows XP utility.  It is frustrating that I can't access it in Windows directly.  If I use dialer.exe, it brings up a more elaborate screen with provisions for video, conferencing, etc. .... not what I want.

In any event, I CAN get the Dial.Exe that I downloaded to execute from the RUN command in Windows by providing the path followed by a space followed by a valid phone number.  Try as I may, however, I cannot come up with programming to use @shell to run the Dial.Exe and pass a phone number from my database.

If you have manageed to do this, since you said "problem solved," can you PLEASE provide me a sample of the code you used.

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #18 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 7:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Spencer,

The programming is just

Code
Select All
 Var vReturn as Int
vReturn = @Shell("C:\Utilities\dial.exe " + Phone) 

Phone is the name of the phone number element and dial.exe is located in C:\Utilities

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #19 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 7:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

I've tried that all variations of that.  I see the black screen flashing, but the program is not executed. 

I'm totally baffled.

- Spencer

IP Logged

walk-2-fly
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 7:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer,

another aspect, the Citirine Dialer automatically turns field formatted (813) 286-8498 into 813 286 8498 ..., and works everywhere in Windows and the Web.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #21 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 7:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer,

Where is dial.exe located on your computer? If it is in a directory with a space in it you have to change the code to

Code
Select All
vReturn = @Shell(@Chr(34) + "C:\Program Files\dial.exe" + @Chr(34) + " " + Phone) 

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #22 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 11:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
HALLELUJAH!  ......  HALLELUJAH!

THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!

I thought + " " would take care of the space; however, apparently it didn't.  I don't need the last + " " in the code you provided because the ASCII character took care of that one, too.  

I am having a little problem dialing long-distance calls but, hopefully, I'll resolve that when I have time to play with it.

Also, I have 6 phone fields so I have to decide whether I want to have a command button for each one or whether I can use a list box to select which phone number I want to dial.

But I am so ENCOURAGED that indeed this can be done without Bat files and without 3rd party software.

THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #23 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 11:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
The following code will go on the Element Entry event of the the command button

Code
Select All
var VSuccess as Int
var vPhonenumber as String = Phone1    //phone element name
var vAreacode as string = "773"   //Area code
var vName as String = Name    //if firstname and last name change accordingly
var vPath as String = "C:\utilities\"  //path for dial.exe utility

vPhonenumber = @num (vPhonenumber)

If @len (vPhonenumber) = 10 then
      {
            If @left (vPhonenumber, 3) = vAreacode then
            {      
                  vPhonenumber = @Right (vPhonenumber, 7)
            }
            Else
            {
                  vphonenumber = 1 + vPhonenumber
            }
      }

vsuccess = @Shell(@Chr(34) + vPath + "dial.exe" + @Chr(34) + " " + vPhonenumber  + " [" + vName +"]")

If not vSuccess = 0 then
      {
            @msgbox ("Problem!!! Dialer did not work.", "", "")

}

The above code will also display the name of the person you are calling. It will also remove the various format element like (    ) -     - from the phone# and add 1 in the begining if it is required. If you are calling locally, it will dial only seven digits as required.

You have to download free dialing utility from following site
http://www.pcplus.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=5545&subsectioni...

As such the above utilizes dialer.exe that comes with the operating system.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #24 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 12:00am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Also, I have 6 phone fields so I have to decide whether I want to have a command button for each one or whether I can use a list box to select which phone number I want to dial.

Spencer,
It would be more practical to put a small command button beside the phone# with just an arrow on it with each phone# field.
What you have to do is to put the above code in the Globalcode area as subroutine procedure and you can point to it from various command buttons having a simple code like -

vPhonenumber = CellularPhone //cellular Phone
DialPhone ( )

Globalcode:
var vPhonenumber as String

Subroutine DialPhone ( )

(the code mentioned in the previous post will go here as subroutine in Globalcode are)

end Subroutine

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #25 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 7:06am
Print Post Print Post  
I am still having the most horrific time working with the phone dialer (although I am still delighted that parts of it are working just fine).

It may help to know that my (10-digit) telephone numbers are formatted (on element exit) as (123) 123-1234.

I am currently using the following code:

Code
Select All
Var vReturn as Int

if @lt(home,5) = "(813)" or @lt(home,5) = "(727)" then
Vreturn = @shell(@chr(34) + "C:\Program Files\sesame\utilities\dialer.exe" + @Chr(34) + Home)

if not @lt(home,5) = "(813)" or @lt(home,5) = "(727)" then
Vreturn = @shell(@chr(34) + "C:\Program Files\sesame\utilities\dialer.exe" + @Chr(34) + Home)

If not vReturn = 0 then

If the number I am dialing begins with area code (813) or (727) it works just fine.

I am making some assumptions based on this:

1)  FOR AREA CODE 813:  The utility program itself must know to ignore the symbols ( ) and - because it shows that the number I am dialing as (123) 123-1234 ... and dials it properly.  It does NOT dial the area code and this, perhaps, is because of my windows settings.

(In the control panel under Phones & Modems, the Dialing Rules reflect that the area code from which I am dialing is 813).

2) FOR AREA CODE 727:  I MUST first dial the area code but must NOT dial the 1 first.  In this case, my programming is apparently accepted "as is."

3) FOR ALL OTHER AREA CODES:  Naturally, I have to dial a 1 first and apparently the utility program does not know to automatically do this because - using the above code - I get a "wrong number" each and every time.

I have tried DOZENS and DOZENS of code variations to get the 1 prefix added to the number.  I have tried the following code:

Code
Select All
Var vReturn as Int

if @lt(home,5) = "(813)" or @lt(home,5) = "(727)" then

if not @lt(home,5) = "(813)" or @lt(home,5) = "(727)" then
Vreturn = @shell(@chr(34) + "C:\Program Files\sesame\utilities\dialer.exe" + @Chr(34) + 1 + Home)

If not vReturn = 0 then

In this case, the msgbox appeared.

I have also tried many variations of the code Bharat recommended and nothing has worked.

In one case (which unfortunately I can't replicate at present) I got a message that windows could not find:  C:\Program Files\Sesame\Utilities\Dialer.exe11232331234. 

Woe is me!!!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #26 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 7:43am
Print Post Print Post  
The code I have posted above take care of all of that.  The new posting that I have posted in the "Focus" topic, you do not have to worry about the Element Name in  your application. Just simply place that code in respective elements, substitute the vpath, vName and vAreacode for the value that suites you and your system as suggested and it should just work just fine.

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #27 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 7:52am
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat -

I'll definitely try the code you recommended (even though it apparently is not necessary for me to strip the ()- symbols or disect the area code & phone number in the 813 or 727 area codes).  But I am still concerned that having limited my programming to just one field, I istill can't get it to work with area code other than 813 or 727.  I did try a variation that included using the variable for the phone number and using the coding you did.  As I said I am unable to replicate it right now; however, it should have worked and didn't.

I want to assure you that I appreciate and will use the code you suggested.  It is important to me, though, to fully understand any "gift" code so that I am able to manipulate it if I need to and, hopefully, to be able to use variations of it at a future date.

Right now, I am going to take a break (to play Spades on the Internet) even though I should be in bed.  But, I need a little recreation other than Sesame.  Smiley

- Spencer

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #28 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 7:59am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
In one case (which unfortunately I can't replicate at present) I got a message that windows could not find:  C:\Program Files\Sesame\Utilities\Dialer.exe11232331234.   

Are you using dial.exe or Dialer.exe?  What you downloaded was dial.exe.  Dial.exe uses Dialer.exe which comes with the operating system. I could not get the dialer.exe work properly by itself.

You may be missing a space - Dial.exe11232331234 should be Dial.exe 11232331234

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #29 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 9:26am
Print Post Print Post  
I renamed Dial.exe Dialer.exe

As far as I know my programming provides for the space

- Spencer

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print