Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A big project (Read 21716 times)
John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

A big project
Feb 15th, 2005 at 3:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi, I am the manager of a cemetery. We have four databases running in QA4, that I would like to import, and integrate into Sesame, so that I can pull records from each into one form.
I have no difficulty in converting the databases into sesame format, but I'm lost when it comes to linking them up, and the best way to go about it.
The basic way it's layed out now,
The Lot register contains the owners contact information, and notes on general lot info. This I would like to be the main area, from wich, I can call the others, is that the best way to do it, or should I design a new Database, and use all the former Q&A databases as sub databases?
The others, are the Burial register, with over 15000 entries each giving the genealogical information of a burial.
The Flower database, giving contact information for whoever is looking after the flowerbed, if any for the lot, and used for mail merge operations. (May or may not be the same as the lot owner info.
The Pre-need database, that gives information on services that have been prepaid for that lot.
The winter wreath database, much the same as the flower database, also used for mail merge 

What I'd like to be able to do, is search the main database by lot owners name, and pull up from that any information i need about the lot from the other databases.
For example, I'd like to be able to ask for, and get, a list of all the burials in the lot, and the grave numbers they are in.
When this was attempted in QA4, it would retrieve the first burial it came to, and stop. This was not acceptable, and we never did find a way around it. We ended up using each database separately, a major PIA.
I have been working with sesame off and on for some months now, but I can't figure out how to integrate these databases the best way.
In fact, I can't figure how to get an existing database to be a sub database.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: A big project
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 9:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hi, I am the manager of a cemetery. We have four databases running in QA4, that I would like to import, and integrate into Sesame, so that I can pull records from each into one form.
I have no difficulty in converting the databases into sesame format, but I'm lost when it comes to linking them up, and the best way to go about it.

There are a number of ways this can be handled in Sesame.
Quote:
The basic way it's layed out now,
The Lot register contains the owners contact information, and notes on general lot info. This I would like to be the main area, from wich, I can call the others, is that the best way to do it, or should I design a new Database, and use all the former Q&A databases as sub databases?
The others, are the Burial register, with over 15000 entries each giving the genealogical information of a burial.
The Flower database, giving contact information for whoever is looking after the flowerbed, if any for the lot, and used for mail merge operations. (May or may not be the same as the lot owner info.
The Pre-need database, that gives information on services that have been prepaid for that lot.
The winter wreath database, much the same as the flower database, also used for mail merge 

What I'd like to be able to do, is search the main database by lot owners name, and pull up from that any information i need about the lot from the other databases.
For example, I'd like to be able to ask for, and get, a list of all the burials in the lot, and the grave numbers they are in.
When this was attempted in QA4, it would retrieve the first burial it came to, and stop. This was not acceptable, and we never did find a way around it. We ended up using each database separately, a major PIA.

Q&A was probably using an @XLookup, which returns the first record it finds that matches the criteria. Sesame has a command: @XLookupAll that can return the information from all of the records that match the criteria.
Quote:
I have been working with sesame off and on for some months now, but I can't figure out how to integrate these databases the best way.
In fact, I can't figure how to get an existing database to be a sub database.

I suggest that you, experimentally at first, merge the databases you have into a single application using Sesame's Merge Application command. Its on the command tree under Application Utilities. And then start looking for connections/navigations between the various databases that you want to support in the final application. The criteria in the @XLookup statements is probably a good place to start. Each of those is likely to a pre-existing connection in the data that you may want to take advantage of.

Once you have a pretty good picture of how you would like it to work, build a form with subforms that matches your vision. When you add a subform to a form, SDesigner will ask you which of the existing forms should appear as the subform.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 9:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
John,

How about starting slow and simple to get some solid experience with Sesame and then figure out how to deal with your entire project.

Start by making a new application
Open Sdesigner
Click new application
In the filename box type CEM
Click on forms
Click design a form
Click add new database
Create new text element named LotOwnerName
Click save layout design
Click close design tab
Click add new database
Add new element LotNumber
Click save layout design
Click close design tab
Click redesign a form
Select form newdatabase
Click form named newform
In element adder click select element type subform
In the label box enter subformlot (or anything you like to call it)
Click add element to form
A new box will pop up step 1 will be select a form
click the down arrow and select NewForm0
leave step 2 and 3 alone
step 4 type a name
in step 5 change form to table using down arrow
click ok and place and size the new subform element on your form
Click save layout design

Click close design tab

Now you can open the application named CEM enter a lot owner name
And enter lot numbers relating to that owner.

When you later search by lot owner all the associated lot numbers will show.

You can add as many fields to the subform as you need and you can add additional subform elements to display whatever you need.

This example should give you an understanding of how to progress.

You can definitely make your form prettier and name things nicer and improve this but this should show you the basic principles involved.

Hope this helps.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 5:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
First of all, I want to thank both of you for you efforts, both methods work quite well, at pulling up the form.
I am still doing somethig wrong however, as the records are blank in both instances.
What I did was take a sample of my records, my own family name, and I'm working with that in an experimental database.
How do I go back, and edit the subforms? or child forms

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 5:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
If you are talking about adding elements to the subform just open the application in Sdesigner and click forms then redesign customize a form and choose the database form you want to add elements to.  Smiley

If you are talking about adding data to the subforms from the parent record just enter it in the field. Press f10 to enter another. Sesame handles the stuff that links the child data to the parent for you in the example I used. Smiley

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 6:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Neither I'm afraid. When I'm is search and update mode, the subform is there, but contains no data.
Pressing F10 and advancing to the next record, also shows no data
What I'd like to be able to do is get data from any of four different databases from the main form.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 6:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
John,

I have the example above application working on my machine.

If I add an owner name of smith to the main record
Then click in subform and enter lot 69
Press f10 and enter 70

Then go back to main enter another new owner jones
Then click in subform and enter lot 150
Press f10 and enter 160

Exit database

When I go to the main database and search for jones it brings up 150 and 160 in the database.

Am I not understanding what you are wanting to do? Embarrassed

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 7:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'll start from scratch and try it again Must have goofed somewhere. Be back to you later, thanks.

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 1:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ok, I just went through and created the database exactly as you described, and it worked perfectly.
The trouble is, it looks exacltly like the one I made with the data already in the databases, except that mine does not work.
Is there a way I can compare the two side by side to see my mistakes?

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 2:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
The trouble is, it looks exacltly like the one I made with the data already in the databases, except that mine does not work.

When you say data already in the databases, Do you mean you added the subform after the data was entered?

If that is the case the problem is with the type of association we used. We used Automatic which deals with the link management for you but it has to be entered from the parent to the child.

(I hope I explained that clearly, Maybe the Lanticans can explain it in a clearer way)

The other method would have been to select relational when making the subform and telling sesame what fields are related.

Please keep in mind that this was a very general response. There are always more then one method to accomplish a task in Sesame.

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #10 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 3:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Do you mean you added the subform after the data was entered?

Yes, i'm afraid that's the way It has to be done, I have five fairly large databases that I have translated fron QA4, and I want to be able to get at the data from each from one form.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #11 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 3:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Yes, i'm afraid that's the way It has to be done, I have five fairly large databases that I have translated fron QA4, and I want to be able to get at the data from each from one form.

That is not a problem.

Keep in mind there are probably lots of ways to do what you want using Sesame.

The method I used to do a similar task as you are doing using  my limited knowledge of Sesame was to do exactly the same as we discussed but use the relational link instead of automatic. When you choose Relational method you will be asked in step 4 for parent record field and child record field that matches to make the link.

The thing to remember is you will need to handle the quote housekeeping features going forward. You will need to make sure when you enter new data the matching fields  are updated correctly. It is not a big deal but something to keep in mind.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 4:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
The thing to remember is you will need to handle the quote housekeeping features going forward. You will need to make sure when you enter new data the matching fields  are updated correctly. It is not a big deal but something to keep in mind.

Bob, I suspect that he should set the subform relational and specify the key fields - temporarily. Then once he has imported his data under the proper parent, he should set it back to natural linking. That way he avoids the ongoing "housekeeping".

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #13 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 4:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Wow, The best of both worlds!

I never new I could do that. CHANGE what a concept.

This is a perfect little tip for Inside Sesame. I am sure many can benefit from it.

Thank you Mark. I love learning useful stuff.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #14 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 5:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
This isn't something that happens automatically by changing the link type. It is a process you can do. Several Forum members have done it and say it works quite well. It works like this:
1. Create the relational link
2. Do a hierarchical export of the data.
3. Delete the relational link
4. Create a natural link
5. Do a hierarchical import of the data.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #15 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 6:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is like learning French!  Roll Eyes I guess the QA4 learning curve was a bit steep too, but that was 15 years ago, when my brain still fired on all cylinders.
??? ???
Could I please have that in english?
I've got a nice child field, looks really nice, BUT, the data refuses to come across, all the fields are still blank!

I go into search and update, hit F10 and that pulls up a five grave lot. But the subform, shows no burials, and I know the data for that lot has at least four separate burials with twenty or so fields each.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #16 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 7:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
John,
In Q&A you have (for simplicity's sake) two flat databases. Lets call them database A and database B. The records in database B, are "related" as children to the records in database A. In Q&A, that "relationship" is caused by an XLookup statements in Q&A Basic that find some of the records in database B, while you are looking at a single record in database A. This is done (usually) by field matching. In other words, there is a field in A that has a value that matches a particular field in B. In Q&A this doesn't really move the record from B to under the record in A - it can just retrieve information from the record in B - because Q&A is entirely flat.

In Sesame, you can have subform and sub-databases. So you translate A and B into Sesame - you end up with two flat databases and two flat forms. You can then merge B into A, creating a single application file containing both A and B, both still flat. So you create a subform field on A and tell it to contain records from B.

All well and good, and from what I've read so far on this thread, this is where you are now. But there still has to be a way for the A form to know which B records should appear under which A records. In Sesame there are two ways for this to happen: "natural linking" and "relational linking".

In natural linking sub-records appear under a parent record because that is where they were created in the first place - there is no need for matching "key" fields or anything else - it got made here, so here it stays. Natural linking can't immediately help you because your records have already been created elsewhere.

In relational linking (an option available when you created the subform field on the parent form) you tell Sesame which field on the parent and which field on the child need to match for a record from B to appear under a record in A. Sesame then dynamically finds and displays all of the correct B records each time you view an A record. It does this by running through the B database looking for those B records that have the same value as the specified field in the current A record.

You probably don't want to use relational linking permanently because it is slower and does require maintenance. But you can set up your system to use it once - to find the right subrecords, then using the ASCII export save that relationship. Then you can rebuild your subform field with natural linking and import the data back in.

1. Translate A.
2. Translate B.
3. Load A into Sesame.
4. Merge B into A.
5. In SDesigner, Create a subform field on A's form that contains B's form.
6. Tell SDesigner that you want it to be a relational subform and tell SDesigner which fields need to match (one field on the parent form and one field on the subform).
7. In runtime, using the export spec, export all of the fields on the parent and child to a file.
8. In Runtime delete the records from the child form and from the parent form, using mass delete.
9. In Sdesigner remove the subform field from the parent form. Then, recreate it just like you made it before, but this time select "natural linking" (the default), instead of relational.
10. In runtime, do an ASCII import from the file you created when doing the export (step 7).

When step 10 is completed, you will have the correct child records under the correct parent - naturally linked.

I know that I am being more conceptual than specific, but once you understand what is going on, the specific steps get a lot easier. The most important thing is understanding that you need to tell Sesame some way to determine which subrecords appear under which parent. In you case that may be a "lot number" field that needs to match on the parent and the child.

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #17 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 7:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Because ofthe way our lots are laid out in QA4, the address to the lot using four fields, what we intended, and I have done on the sample database I am working with, is establish a field, called "Code". That field will be the same, for the Lot, and every burial in the lot. The "code" field will also apear in every other database related to that lot.
The intent was to use that "code" field to accomplish the linking. 

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #18 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 1:52am
Print Post Print Post  
The Cow
I tried to export, but could only export from the form, the subform still contains no data, and thus there is nothing to export. ???

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #19 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 2:49am
Print Post Print Post  
UNTESTED PROCESS FOLLOWS HERE

Any chance that you could combine all four databases into one database in Q&A first?  If all are subsets of Main database, then this might make sense.

Make a copy of your main database, NewDesgn.dtf, with all records intact.

Add additional pages for each of the added on databases (AddOn 1-4).

Programming/Reports/Saved Specs, etc. will still need to be brought in from Q&A from the added databases.  Could duplicate now, or do later in Sesame (May be easier to duplicate now in Q&A). 

POST from each of the added on databases into the new fields on the combined database NewDesgn.dtf.   Do Post from AddOn1.dtf.  Repeat POST for AddOn2-4.)

Then rename fields as needed so names in programming, reports, etc. will get changed before translation.  Check for restricted field names.

When done will have one Q&A database to be translanted into Sesame.  After translation, look at log, fix as needed.

Before proceeding, Make a copy of the new Sesame database. 
(If it does not work as is, you many still be able to delete the parts that don't work, Merge another copy of the original just copied, make new database2, deleting what you don't need, and repeating Merges of original to create databases 2-4. (I may have lost you here, but is perfectly clear to me). )

Now in your working Sesame application you can make sub forms within the Main database for each of the original Q&A databases.

---------------------
Just tossing it in as an option.  Other more rational minds may come up with many reasons why this won't work......

Before doing this work, make a sample database in Sesame first, with just 2 or 3 fields from each database in one combined database, then try the subforms to see if this may be a solution.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #20 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 1:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
The Cow
I tried to export, but could only export from the form, the subform still contains no data, and thus there is nothing to export. ???

That takes us back to steps 5 & 6
Quote:
5. In SDesigner, Create a subform field on A's form that contains B's form.
6. Tell SDesigner that you want it to be a relational subform and tell SDesigner which fields need to match (one field on the parent form and one field on the subform).

If, after you complete step 6, you go into runtime and do a search on the main form (A), and you do not have the subrecords you expect under the main form - something went wrong in the relational linking. Check your key values in the main form and in the subforms and make sure that they do indeed match. Use Sesame's search capabilities to test for this. In any case, do not proceed to the export until you can see the correct subrecords under the parent form in runtime.
If everything looks right, but you still don't see your subrecords showing up, shoot an email to support@lantica.com. Ray will get it and either find and fix the problem or forward it to me.

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #21 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 4:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the offer, i may have to go that route, But, rather than get someone to do it for me, I like to muddle through. I find when i do that, I understand it better, and am able to fix mistakes I make in the future.

What i just tried, was to mass delete (worked). Then I exported the data to a standard ascii format from QA4.
The data came in, when i imported it, but the fields are all messed up wrong data appearing in the fields, and the subform did not fill, again.  Undecided
Learning experience. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #22 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 4:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob
The amount of programming, particularly in my flowersheet , and endowment databases is massive. Manually re-entering it would take me weeks of dedicated hammering with my two fingers.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #23 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 4:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks for the offer, i may have to go that route, But, rather than get someone to do it for me, I like to muddle through. I find when i do that, I understand it better, and am able to fix mistakes I make in the future.

What i just tried, was to mass delete (worked). Then I exported the data to a standard ascii format from QA4.
The data came in, when i imported it, but the fields are all messed up wrong data appearing in the fields, and the subform did not fill, again.  Undecided
Learning experience. Roll Eyes

Don't export from Q&A - translate the Q&A databases to Sesame first, merge them, put a subform LE on the main form, specifying that it is relational linking, go into runtime (at this point you should see the correct records in your subform), export from Sesame (so it will be a hierarchial export!) - then mass delete (in Sesame), go into SDesigner and remove the subform LE, and replace it with a naturally linked subform LE holding the same subform, and go into runtime and do the import.

Other than cleaning up LE names and other "prep work", none of this should be done inside Q&A.

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #24 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 4:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well, it's not me...
I just went through the proccess without using any qa4 data, and everything works fine. It's something to do with the fact that the data came from two separate qa4 databases.

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #25 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 4:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
I posted the above, before I saw The Cow's post. I don't want to mislead you, the qa4 export, was just an experiment. I have translated the data.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #26 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 5:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks for the offer, i may have to go that route, But, rather than get someone to do it for me, I like to muddle through.

Hello John,

We would simply use your DB file to better explain how to do this and to help guide you, not to actually do it for you.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #27 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 9:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
I can't send you the actual data. There is a Federal Privacy Law that forbids it. I can however send you the database with false data, that I could easily construct. I'm off for the weekend, I'll try to get to it first of the week.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #28 - Feb 18th, 2005 at 10:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Fake data is perfect, just as long as it is in the same format as the real data.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #29 - Feb 21st, 2005 at 7:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ok, I took the real data, all the names for the search last name C.. and modified their information, I then cleaned up the data, and imported it to Sesame.
This is clean, unmodified data, not the stuff I've been messing with.
I have not added the field to "link" the Lot owners data base to the burial register database, in case you came up with an easier way to do it.
What I had planned, was to enter a field named "code" into the lot owner data base, filling it using Mass update, then using a student over the summer, get them to enter the number from each "code" field in the lot owner database, to the coresponding "code" field in each burial in the "burial Register" for than lot.
I am sending the files attached to an email with the heading Files For Ray--- Thanks  Smiley

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #30 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 8:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well, Ray has sorted it out, now I'm waiting for an email from him as to how he did it. Looks great. Many Thanks  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #31 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 8:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
You are welcome.

You should be receiving the e-mail shortly.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #32 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 1:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks again, just one more question..... I hope  Roll Eyes

Can I design the database, get everything set up, then, once the student has completed the 'code' field entries, import the data into my newly designed database?

My plan to do this, would be to convert the data from Qa4, then have the student do the work. (becomming familiar with sesame in the process). Then, import the data to my design.

Can you see any issues, or problems?

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #33 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 2:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bob (John_Y_Cannuck),

You will want to have your files merged together in Sesame.
Design them the way you want them to be designed.
Then have the student go through and add the Code values.
Then link the child databases up to the parent database.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #34 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 8:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sounds simple, hope it turn out that way, thanks.

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #35 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 9:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Working my way throught the data bases. The full size lot owner database took over an hour to convert from Qa4.

Now I'm working on programming problems, i'm almost done  I think, but I have one I can't solve.

If selection = "1" then fieldname1 = fieldname2; If selection...
it's a long statement with 8 possible selections.
The error message says it's expecting a boolean expression. I'm lost as to where to look for anything that might draw a boolean.
Ideas?

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #36 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 9:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
What is the full line of code?

You can narrow it down to the problem line if split that one long line onto 8 seperate lines. ex

If selection = "1" then fieldname1 = fieldname2; If selection...

becomes

If selection = "1" then fieldname1 = fieldname2;
If selection... 
etc.
etc.

This will give you a better idea where the problem is.

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #37 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 9:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
IF SELECTION = "1" THEN Flower_Charges = GER,BEG; IF SELECTION = "1" THEN Flower_Charges = GER,BEG; IF SELECTION = "2" THEN Flower_Charges = GER,ALY; IF SELECTION = "3" THEN Flower_Charges = BEG,ALY; IF SELECTION = "4" THEN Flower_Charges = PET,ALY; IF SELECTION = "5" THEN Flower_Charges = IMP,ONLY; IF SELECTION = "" THEN Flower_Charges = 0.00; IF SELECTION = "7" THEN Flower_Charges = GER,ALY; IF SELECTION = "8" THEN Flower_Charges = GER,ONLY; IF SELECTION = "9" THEN Flower_Charges = BEG,ONLY; if SELECTION = "6" then Flower_Charges = "0.00" and Planting_Charge1 = "0.00";

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #38 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 9:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Breaking it down line by line, shows the problem to be in the last line, selection '6'

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #39 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 9:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
You need to change the last line to
Code
Select All
If SELECTION = "6" then
{
	Flower_Charges = "0.00"
	Planting_Charge1 = "0.00"
}

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #40 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 10:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks, that worked beautifully.

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #41 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 4:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ok, now as I'm importing some of the other databases, I get a message telling me there are duplicate reports. I checked, and yes there are. So, I am currently trying to delete some of them. I can't find a referance to this in the manual.  How do you delete a report?

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #42 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 4:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
To delete an unwanted report or form in Sesame, you would use the Layout Manager which is covered on pages 119-121 of the Sesame User Guide.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #43 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 7:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well, that was embarrasing  Roll Eyes sorry.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #44 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 10:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
You might want to consider renaming the reports and not delete them until they have all been imported in case they are not duplicates of each other, but only share a common name. 

Might not be necessary in these cases, you know your own databases, I am just conservative by nature, and deleting is always a last step after checks and rechecks.....

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #45 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 1:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Bob, the reports in question originated in Qa4. They were originally made in the flowersheet database. When I copied that database and modified it to create the endowment database, the reports came along for the ride, I don't need them, and they have now been deleted.

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #46 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 8:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Next newbie question  Roll Eyes

I'm having some problems with fields. I have merged the databases, and created new 'code' fields in each. When I go to create the subform, the 'code' fields have vanished.
If i go out of the merged database, and check the forms directly, the 'code' field is still there.

I may have corrected a second problem, and that was that I was attempting to rename a field that  I later found out was mentioned in programming. That wouldn't fly either.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #47 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 9:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am struggling with your use of the term "fields".  This is commonly misused in Sesame discussions.  But the distinction is important to help diagnose the problems.

In Sesame, fields are generally seen only when Managing Database.  What you see on your forms are referred to as Layout Elements (LE).  They are "bound" or connected to invisible database fields.

So, when you lose your "fields", do you really mean the fields or do you mean the LEs?

In the Database Manager you can expand each of the fields and see every form that is bound to that field.

In the Deisgner on the Form, you can check to see what fields each LE is bound to.

What do you mean by 'code' fields
It sounds like perhaps you have some unbound LEs.  Can you redefine the problem using the terms LE and Field as defined above, and perhaps explain what symptom you have that makes you think they have vanished.  What  screen are you on?  What windows are looking at?  What are you trying to do when the "fields" vanish?

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #48 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 10:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry, I am refering to layout elements (that's qa4 sneaking in).
The 'code' layout element was added to each (terminology again) form, so that I could use those LEs to link the forms using subforms  to a master database.

Incidentally, my attempt to rename the LE also failed even after I changed the programming statement.
it appears in designer that i have made the change. I then save, close, and reconcile, and nothing happens. When I reopen the design element, the name has not changed. Doesn't appear in preview either

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #49 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 4:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ok, problem solved, but I don't know how.
I went in, and saved the whole works as a new aplication, then tried again, and it worked.
I'll get the hang of it sooner or later

IP Logged