Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A big project (Read 21720 times)
John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Re: A big project
Reply #45 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 1:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Bob, the reports in question originated in Qa4. They were originally made in the flowersheet database. When I copied that database and modified it to create the endowment database, the reports came along for the ride, I don't need them, and they have now been deleted.

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #46 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 8:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Next newbie question  Roll Eyes

I'm having some problems with fields. I have merged the databases, and created new 'code' fields in each. When I go to create the subform, the 'code' fields have vanished.
If i go out of the merged database, and check the forms directly, the 'code' field is still there.

I may have corrected a second problem, and that was that I was attempting to rename a field that  I later found out was mentioned in programming. That wouldn't fly either.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #47 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 9:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am struggling with your use of the term "fields".  This is commonly misused in Sesame discussions.  But the distinction is important to help diagnose the problems.

In Sesame, fields are generally seen only when Managing Database.  What you see on your forms are referred to as Layout Elements (LE).  They are "bound" or connected to invisible database fields.

So, when you lose your "fields", do you really mean the fields or do you mean the LEs?

In the Database Manager you can expand each of the fields and see every form that is bound to that field.

In the Deisgner on the Form, you can check to see what fields each LE is bound to.

What do you mean by 'code' fields
It sounds like perhaps you have some unbound LEs.  Can you redefine the problem using the terms LE and Field as defined above, and perhaps explain what symptom you have that makes you think they have vanished.  What  screen are you on?  What windows are looking at?  What are you trying to do when the "fields" vanish?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #48 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 10:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry, I am refering to layout elements (that's qa4 sneaking in).
The 'code' layout element was added to each (terminology again) form, so that I could use those LEs to link the forms using subforms  to a master database.

Incidentally, my attempt to rename the LE also failed even after I changed the programming statement.
it appears in designer that i have made the change. I then save, close, and reconcile, and nothing happens. When I reopen the design element, the name has not changed. Doesn't appear in preview either

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #49 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 4:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ok, problem solved, but I don't know how.
I went in, and saved the whole works as a new aplication, then tried again, and it worked.
I'll get the hang of it sooner or later

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print