Normal Topic Barcode print output of selected record (Read 1200 times)
gatspud

No personal text

Barcode print output of selected record
Jul 28th, 2004 at 7:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Does anyone out there have experience with outputing a bar code label from a selected database record?  I am wanting to replace an Access inventory database we use with Sesame, but am curious if someone has experience with it.  We use Label Matrix which attaches to the Access dB and allows record selection and barcode form printing.  It would be really nice to just pass the print record directly to the printer from the database. 

I'll update this topic as I try to prototype a solution and let y'all know.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Barcode print output of selected record
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2004 at 8:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well, I just hit the Net, downloaded a free barcode font (3 of 9), and installed it. Five minutes later, I was using PrintString to print barcodes. Worked like a charm. The only thing I had to do for this particular font is put * before and after my value. I don't know if all barcode fonts require this.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

gatspud

No personal text

Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2004 at 8:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry, but haven't had a lot of time to work on this...  but I understand your approach with a 3of9 font.  I would prefer using Code 128, but "they" want to charge a ridiculous amount for it.  I am considering a different approach, when I get back to it. 

I am thinking of spitting out (export) via macro, command button or something... of a selected record/s to a file out on one of our servers.  Label Matrix has the ability to have a user defined, timed execution facility to query (ifexists) a file location (local or remote; like a FTP server) and if it exists, read it in, print out a predetermined label format with the data, then delete the file, ready for the next time.  It is the "spitting out" part that may take me some time to noodle thru!  I also have to consider appending records to the file, if Label Matrix hasn't picked it up & printed them yet.

I seem to have been drawn in to the whole Sesame form layout creation, import of existing Access dB to show the owner of the company what it is capable of...  It has been a long time since I have messed with basic stuff.  I wish Sesame didn't assume that the only folks interested in their product were former Q&A people.  The examples I have found on the web site look good but nothing I can use or re-use for my application or even an example.  (Currently deciding on how to accomplish the equivalent of Autonumber in Access for a field, element,.. or whatever they call it, that begins above our current number.)

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Aug 5th, 2004 at 8:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Autonumber in Access is @Number in Sesame.  See pages 102-103 of the Programming Guide. If you need more than one per Application, you can use GlobalValue to maintain your own unique numbering system (Page 153 of the Programming Guide).

As to the Q&A-centric nature of Sesame, while we didn't assume that the only folks interested would be Q&Aers, we did assume (I think correctly) that the majority of the initial group of Sesame users would be Q&A users. Sesame does have a lot to offer non-Q&Aers though, and we would be very interested in hearing your input as to what parts of Sesame you found difficult because you didn't already know the Q&A lingo!

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

gatspud

No personal text

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2004 at 9:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you.  I have already seen several benefits with the product for just getting the job done (my way & not MS's way).

Many of my difficulties stem from un-learning the way and terminology of MS.  It's the conceptual junk I get mixed up on at times.  I've got a picture in my head about what I would like to accomplish, but sometimes get stuck on the execution of same.

Following the Sesame "steps" have got me a few times also. Shocked

IP Logged