Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) multiple subforms of same data in different views (Read 2655 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

multiple subforms of same data in different views
Apr 2nd, 2004 at 5:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
In my application I have a  form with multiple tabs. On 1 tab I had a table subform naturally linked to my events database. When a client is searched and found it displays the related data in the table subform. It also allows me to search the subform and it returns the naturally linked data in the main form.

This is handy to see a snapshot of all the customers events in a spreadsheet like view. (all at once) I also wanted to see the data in a per event view in a more detailed and specifically ordered data on a per event basis (one at a time) so I added a subform that is form view not tableview of the same database form to an additional tab.

So basically I have the same database subform 1 showing in tableview on a tab and 1 not in tableview on a tab.

I thought since it is drawing the data from  the same database and the same form I should be able to see the data on either tab. Either all in the tableview subform or one at a time on the other tab with the form view subform.

However only the original tableview subform receives or returns any data.

Why?

Since it is the same form there is nothing to additionally bind to, the natural link should still be present I thought it would display. What rules have I overlooked or missed? Is my thought process flawed?

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: multiple subforms of same data in different vi
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2004 at 6:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Robert,

Is this in the copy of your app you recently sent in? If so, where?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2004 at 7:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
No. I have it in a different version.(I only have about 300 different ones Winklet me know if you want me to send it with details of what I was doing)

Is my concept on track? In theory should I be able to do this?

Thanks

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2004 at 7:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Is my concept on track? In theory should I be able to do this?

Yep. I've done this successfully. You do need to make the correct selections in the Subform properties though. That's why I wanted to see what you picked. Both subforms should be using the same underlying field link.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2004 at 8:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
You do need to make the correct selections in the Subform properties

Well that has got to be my problem. I have played with relational link settings but I was under the impression I was to not mess with natural (automatic) link settings. I am figuring step 3 has got to be changed in the second subform to reflect the seetings in the first.

I am going to re-read (again) my friendly manuals and brush up on links and try this again. Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction. ( I could use a few more volumes of manuals to learn from)

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2004 at 3:32am
Print Post Print Post  
It works like a charm  Cheesy

The combination of  the tableview subform on one tab and the form subform on another is really powerful and neat.

But I now have both subforms sharing the same tab and this is really trick

It is quite impressive to be able to search for a client and see all basic client data at the top of the screen all the activity with this customer listed in a table on a section with separate detail for each activity next to it. Click a tab and you see the subform with all the invoices for that customer in a table and next to it you see the detail per each invoice that you can scroll through with a nested subform showing the line items for each specific invoice.

SESAME RULES! Smiley Cheesy Smiley

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2004 at 7:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'd like to see some screenshots, as well.

I am working on something similar and am finding good results with my techniqe. I have a table subform for "lineitems" of an invoice, and a "data entry" area that is much more user friendly at the top of the invoice. When a salesclerk adds an invoice item, they enter it into the Data entry feilds, then click an "add" button to "move" the data down into the table form. The data entry fields are unbound and do not save to the database, they are just for easier navigation and program control.

If an existing line item needs to be edited, they enter the line item # and the info is "pulled" from the table form and put into the data entry feilds for easy editing, then the user presses "Update", which then overwrites the lineitem info with the updated info.

So far it seems to be working well, but creating the data entry fields is time consuming, and may have been easier to do using walts method, but I didnt think about it at the time.

I may add tabs to the data entry area that customizes its veiw depending on the type of "line Item" being entered.

Your comments and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated. I'd post some screenshots, but I dont have a server to post to.

Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #7 - Apr 11th, 2004 at 6:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob Scott
Would like to hear a little more on your application sounds sharp also in tune with Walt and Steve would like to see some screen shots. If you don't have a server, I can upload them to ours and post a link, just email them to me in jpg format if you wish.
becky

Quote:
But I now have both subforms sharing the same tab and this is really trick 

It is quite impressive to be able to search for a client and see all basic client data at the top of the screen all the activity with this customer listed in a table on a section with separate detail for each activity next to it. Click a tab and you see the subform with all the invoices for that customer in a table and next to it you see the detail per each invoice that you can scroll through with a nested subform showing the line items for each specific invoice

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #8 - Apr 12th, 2004 at 2:45am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
If you don't have a server, I can upload them to ours and post a link, just email them to me in jpg format if you wish.
becky

Becky,

Thanks for the offer. It is so nice of you.  Smiley

I will E-mail you the images and post the explanation of my application to the forum.

Thanks again for your help.

Robert

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #9 - Apr 12th, 2004 at 2:48am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Bob Scott
Would like to hear a little more on your application

This may be very boring but since you asked I will attempt to describe to the best of my ability how I am trying to use Sesame. Let me start with a disclaimer saying that there might be better ways to accomplish my tasks but with my limited knowledge of programming this seems to be a good way to go. There are many more talented people on this forum than myself that have posted code and techniques and  I have used tons of features explained on this forum and have incorporated many of the stuff explained by Erika, Mark, Ray the Reaper, Bharat, Carl, Bob Hansen, Walt and many others into this application.

The basic concept of my application design is a client record exists once with many sales events records for each client and multiple financial occurrences as another separate set of records.

The basic client database contains a unique record contained only once in the database regardless of how many times the customer receives services.  This is my parent record. This record contains basic data that is mostly static (not unique to each sales cycle). In this application I store home address, shipping address, telephone numbers, insurance data and other standard data that will be used repeatedly across the life of the client.

This data is displayed on the top third of my main screen.

You will notice in the images of this application Sesame allows me to nest all clients home address, shipping address and telephone data  in one small area of the screen using Sesames great tab feature. Additionally on the telephone tab I have an additional set of tabs that allows tabs for home phone, work phone, cell phone and fax numbers plus the automated dialing feature.  In previous applications storing and presenting the numbers to the user took up a third of the screen alone.

The remainder of my main screen is a large tab that contains many forms and subforms.
The first tab is a subform of my second database called events (I am calling each individual sales or service cycle an event) basically after the static data is entered in the first database I start an event for every sales cycle for this customer. This tab is a Tableview of that data. It is intended to quickly at a glance show you all the different activity (sales cycles) this customer has had. It contains a command button for adding additional events, pop up menu choices for types of events, start date, unique event id# and the clients unique record number from the parent database. There are many neat features built into this database to handle data input and validation using Sbasic.

(as a side note the event type is numbered automatically based on type of event using Erika explanation to sunnyJenna in a previous post)

My goal is to be able to click on any line in the tableview and have it bring me to the specific detail of that event. For now I manually click on the second tab named Event Detail. This tab contains a subform in form view from my second database Events but since it is not a table it contains only the data for one specific event. You will notice in the images that this tab contains 3 additional tabs all relating to detailed data of just this particular sales cycle. An example of how this works is at the time of this service a clients insurance might be the same as the data in the basic database, if it is a command button is pressed to automatically fill the fields. If any data is different for this event it is added only to this event. In this way if the insurance for this customer changes as time goes on I will have separate billing and collections based on this data not newer insurance that did not cover this event. In this events record all contacts with this client is recorded from the start till a financial obligation is created.

(one of the many great features Sesame allows me to have using Sbasic in this database is based on the event type element I use Visibility commands to have elements specific to the type of event appear and disappear only as needed. For example if a diagnostic study is being scheduled study date and time elements are presented to the user if a one time sale of a product is created a picking ticket subform is presented)

The next main tab is Financial overview. My third database is basically a financial ledger. Each record is either a debit or a credit. Anytime a sale is generated the receivable is created attached to the parent record and anytime a credit is posted from a payment, insurance adjustment, co pay or credit memo a record is created attached to the parent record. On this tab I have a subform from the third database in a table format. So like my activity subform a user at a glance can see all the financial transactions listed in a tableview and know exactly what has transpired regarding billing and posting. A collections person uses this screen and the next tab financial detail in conjunction to collect monies owed and post payments. The financial detail tab is a subform in form view of one specific transaction. This is were notes pertaining only to this transaction is entered and is used for statements and collection letters.

There are numerous other tabs that have even more tabs and subforms that I use to do electronic billing, store scanned document images and many more pieces of this ever growing test project. A few neat features in these screens are using Sbasic command FileExists to check to see if a document exists on the server and place a checkmark in a box on the documents viewable for this client and I have a form that is an exact representation of a medical form we use. By entering an event number in a element it fills out the form from data contained in all the different databases associated with this application, upon pressing a command button it validates the data using Sbasic programming for correct formatting and completeness and uses @color to turn any incorrect elements red background with white text. I also use the zip code database to fill out the city state and time zone automatically.

There are way to many things that Sesame has allowed me to do to cover in this post but I hope this gives you some insight into how I am attempting to use Sesame. If anything is unclear please feel free to ask for clarification.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #10 - Apr 12th, 2004 at 3:56am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
My goal is to be able to click on any line in the tableview and have it bring me to the specific detail of that event. For now I manually click on the second tab named Event Detail. This tab contains a subform in form view from my second database Events but since it is not a table it contains only the data for one specific event.

Bob,
Taking a hint from you, I attempted to design a test application with tabs, subform in tableview and formview. It works ok, but I could not establish the dynamic link between the tableview and the formview of any particular record. As mentioned by Carl in other thread, when we move from one subform (or mainform) to other subform, the focus from earlier form or subform still exists and consequently one of the records get locked up. Not a big deal as you could unlock it by going in the tableview subform and giving focus to other record. However, Carl is right in his assessment that something not right about having focus in multiple forms at the same time.  My application is very preliminary but the screen snaps will give some idea. Could you establish dynamic link between the tableview record and formview record? What I mean is - when you click a record in tableview, does the formview display the same record as per tableview? I just could not get it as of yet. Your application is very thought provoking and I am sure it will inspire many others on this board. You definitely have the clear vision and sound  ideas as to what can be done. Thank you very much.

Here is the second tab page with two subforms.

« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2004 at 10:44am by Bharat_Naik »  

IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #11 - Apr 12th, 2004 at 11:54am
Print Post Print Post  
The Following Forms are Bob Scotts
Nice Form Design Bob, I'm sure your going to get bombardied with questions after we have a chance to study them  Wink

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #12 - Apr 12th, 2004 at 12:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
Becky,

Your snapshots are not working. (At least not for IE6.)

The links here have the ".jpg" in lower case, but your website has it in uppercase.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #13 - Apr 12th, 2004 at 12:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Carl, was working on it, the server is playing up this morning.
may have to resize Bob's shots and upload again later today.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #14 - Apr 12th, 2004 at 12:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yeah, they are a sorta HUGE! Wink Grin

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2