Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) bug report (Read 4643 times)
Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

bug report
Jun 30th, 2004 at 1:21am
Print Post Print Post  
Just wanted to mention that I crashed hard today while I tried to open a .db file with designer. (To then save over my existing .dsr file)

The db was in use and in the middle of a programmed export when designer tried to open the db file.

Hopefully a future version will take care of this since we cannot monitor what users are doing on a db when we try to open to modify a .db that is in use remotely.

Also, users are becoming annoyed by the way the curser can jump around to different LE's when simply trying to f10 through several records.

It seems that randomly the curser will leave the LE it was last in and sometimes jump to a different tab page when the next record appears on the screen. We feel it should reside in the LE it was last in prior to the record change.

Hopefully these minor bugs are on the Lantica Hit list.

Thanks for listening, as always.

Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: bug report
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 10:37am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Just wanted to mention that I crashed hard today while I tried to open a .db file with designer. (To then save over my existing .dsr file)

The db was in use and in the middle of a programmed export when designer tried to open the db file.

Hopefully a future version will take care of this since we cannot monitor what users are doing on a db when we try to open to modify a .db that is in use remotely.

You shouldn't have to. We'll look into this and try to determine why this would be a problem.

Quote:
Also, users are becoming annoyed by the way the curser can jump around to different LE's when simply trying to f10 through several records.

It seems that randomly the curser will leave the LE it was last in and sometimes jump to a different tab page when the next record appears on the screen. We feel it should reside in the LE it was last in prior to the record change.

Some people agree. Others think it should always pop to the first element on the form. Others think it should pop to the first element on the form, but only if you are adding a new record. Etc... Smiley

We'll see if tab pages are causing some sort of odd focus behavior.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 12:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Some people agree. Others think it should always pop to the first element on the form. Others think it should pop to the first element on the form, but only if you are adding a new record. Etc... Smiley

I can not say what method is correct however whatever method is selected to be the standard should always be consistent. It seems to behave randomly especially in regards to the tab  pages.   

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 12:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I can not say what method is correct however whatever method is selected to be the standard should always be consistent. It seems to behave randomly especially in regards to the tab  pages.   

I agree. The current behavior is that the cursor moves to the first element when adding records and stays where it is when updating records. Clearly, tab pages are interfering with that behavior. We'll track it down.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 1:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've been working with some forms with tabs and my cursor is staying right where I put it. Can you give me any more clues as to what is making it misbehave for you? Do you have GoTos? ThrowFocuses? OnFormEntry programming? Tabs within Tabs? Etc...

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 7:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika,

Thanks for looking at these issues. I'll run a test on the "jumping cursor" and get back with you.

In the meantime, I have another bug to report thats been haunting me since before 1.0.4 was released.

Edit: To summarize the below, combo box 'choices' won't go away when deleted.

My combo boxes (bound and unbound) seems to "grab" choices that has been deleted from other combo boxes while in designer.

For example. I have 2 combo boxes that are unbound. Somehow, when I go into preview mode and drop down the box, it is filled with LE names from my unbound check boxes from another form (same database)

I went back into edit the form and deleted all the extra choices in the drop down box, saved, then went into preview mode....still there.

Went back into edit the form, this time deleted the unbound LE, saved, exited, previewed. Now ALL the choices that were in the first box (correct and incorrect data) have moved to another combo box on the same form.

Even after deleting all the combo boxes from the form,saving, preview, going back to add 1 combo box (without adding any choices), save, preivew....its full of all the choices I've been trying to delete.

Any workaround for this?

Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 7:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is something I fixed several versions ago. Was this form started in an older version?

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 7:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
The form is 'fairly' new, but the db is rather old. Please tell me there is a different solution other than starting from scratch!

Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2004 at 7:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
The form is 'fairly' new, but the db is rather old. Please tell me there is a different solution other than starting from scratch!

Steve

Send it to Support and I'll clean it out for you. Please specify which Form has the issue and any passwords needed to open the design (in the message to Support, not here).

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 1:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Erika,

I'm sending it now to your attention. No password is needed.

The form is called Photo Viewer, the combo boxes are named Image and Viewer.

Thanks very much,

Steve
edit: the form is called PHoto Editor.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #10 - Jul 1st, 2004 at 2:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Raymond got my dsr files back really quickly and the combo boxes seem to work fine now.

Thanks for fixing it!

Steve

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #11 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 7:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
I made a copy of my application and deleted and renamed some forms and the combo box bug showed up again. (This time, in my new copy, not in the original)

Looks like I got a remedy but not a cure. Will this issue plague me unless I rebuild from scratch?

Also, I was impressed to see that MOST of my programming changed as needed after making a copy of a form. However, some name changes were not done automatically and I had to fix them after the copy. Should I report this as a bug, or is it impossible to make a copy 100% error proof?

Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #12 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 7:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I made a copy of my application and deleted and renamed some forms and the combo box bug showed up again. (This time, in my new copy, not in the original)

Looks like I got a remedy but not a cure. Will this issue plague me unless I rebuild from scratch?

If you copy the one we cleaned out, you should be okay. If you're copying the original corrupted form, then you are also copying the corruption.

Quote:
Also, I was impressed to see that MOST of my programming changed as needed after making a copy of a form. However, some name changes were not done automatically and I had to fix them after the copy. Should I report this as a bug, or is it impossible to make a copy 100% error proof?

Thanks,
Steve

We don't (and can't reliably) alter anything in your program itself when copying or renaming. If you rename the form or elements, programming should still appear in the correct events, but if you refer to something by name in your program, we can't "fix" it for you. It would be impossible for us to really know what you intend, so we don't try to mess with it.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #13 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 8:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika, thanks for the response.

The copy I made is from the db that Ray fixed for me. The combo box is picking up some stray answers (other LE names), different from when Ray fixed it. I did not revert back to an old db. Shall I send in the new app?

During the 'copy' process, I noticed that the event names had changed so I assumed all relevant programming had changed also. I was VERY impressed.

Now I know to go look for other changes that may be necessary.

Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #14 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 8:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Erika, thanks for the response.

The copy I made is from the db that Ray fixed for me. The combo box is picking up some stray answers (other LE names), different from when Ray fixed it. I did not revert back to an old db. Shall I send in the new app?

Ray sent you back a dsr, not a db. Is it possible that you went back to the db without Reconciling the cleanup changes?

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #15 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 8:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Good point, but I dont think so. If I didnt reconcile Rays file, then my original app would still have 'broken' combo boxes (the wrong answers were impossible to delete), but they dont. Ray's fix is still holding fine.

I just copied my app and copied some forms, but I cant get this error to reproduce.

I'll try to delete the 'afflicted' combo box and add new ones to see if this will help.

I'll report back if there is a still a problem.

Thanks for your help.
Steve

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #16 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 8:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika,

I just got the bug to reproduce. Just delete another combo box, and the answers will jump to antoher combo box on that same form.

I'm going to test my working copy (the one that Ray fixed, to see if it does the same thing.)

Steve
Edit: The bug was still in the copy that Ray sent me  Sad

I opened the dsr from his email and deleted the combo box called Shape, and all the answers jumped to the box called Type.

What shall I do?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #17 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 8:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
I still have the one you sent before. Let me look at it and see if there is another piece floating around. Same form as before?

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #18 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 8:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Form name is Category Editor. Though I haven't tested the others. Its probably in all the forms because they are all copies of Category Editor.

Cry Sad Cry

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #19 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 8:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ah, that would be the problem. I only cleaned out the one Form (Photo Editor). I'll clean out Category Editor also.

Give me a few minutes... Wink

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #20 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 8:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
No, don't waste your time on that app.

I've made lots of changes since I sent you that one.

I'll email my most recent, along with the copy that i made. 3 forms in 1 app and 1 form in the other.

ps. no rush to do it tonight. We wont work on it until tomorrow.

Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #21 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 8:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Shoot. It's already on its way back to you.

Okay, I'll clean out the other apps tomorrow. Is it clear which forms are the problem?

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #22 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 9:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the quick fix, but your not getting to the root of the problem.

I opened the dsr that you just sent me and deleted the combo box labeled "Shape" (LE NAME SHAPE0, found on the "Descriptions" tab in Category Editor form). The contents of that box went into the combo box NAMED "TYPE" found at the bottom of the "Categories" tab of the same form. (No LE label). Once the answers show up in TYPE, they can not be deleted. This is all evident in the Category Editor form.

I'm emailing my two apps to you now. Take your time with them. Anytime tomorrow would be great. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks,
Steve

If its easier, and more thorough, just delete all the combo boxes and I'll add new ones. Just make sure the answers dont appear in a new combo box, like they did the first time around.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #23 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 9:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Darn. I was trying not to clear more than was absolutely necessary, but I may not be able to be so surgical. Ah well, I'll take a look at the current apps tomorrow.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #24 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 9:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
No problem. I just dont want to face this problem again months down the road and you tell me to "start from scratch."

By the way, you told me to start from scratch on my invoice program (I cant remember the reason now) so I quit working on it until you add a 'copy and paste' abililty to LEs in a future version. There is just too much stuff to rebuild manually. If this wont be available for several months, then I need to start rebuilding..... Sad

The recent addition of importing programming is a BIG help!

Thanks for the quick service, as always!
Steve

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #25 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 9:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika,

Please also take a look at why I cant run a Universal search in the RugStudio app, Category Editor Form.

Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #26 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 11:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
A few stray combo box items does not require starting from scratch. I tried to ditch only those that looked out of place, but, since I don't know your data, I can't tell by looking which choices are appropriate for which combo boxes.  Since you don't seem to care, I'll just clear them all.

Copy and paste of LE's is a major undertaking and will not be implemented within the next few months.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #27 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 12:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve,

I see what's happening with your combo boxes and it's entirely my fault. I'm cleaning out your Forms, but be aware there's a bug which is now fixed for the next release. For the current release, if you need to delete a combo box or list box which has previously been saved, follow these steps:

1. Delete the choices from the element.
2. Save the layout.
3. Delete the element itself.

I'll be adding this to the workarounds page. My apologies for the aggravation.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #28 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 1:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Erika,

Please also take a look at the Universal Search issue in the RugStudio app.

Thanks,
Steve
Edit: I see your post, now. Thanks for fixing it.

IP Logged