Normal Topic Tab Pages Sequencing (Read 1337 times)
JFisher

No personal text

Tab Pages Sequencing
Jun 23rd, 2004 at 6:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am converting a complex Q&A payroll application to Sesame for a School Bus company.  There are many Layout Elements in an extra long page.  To make it more user frendly, I have used tabbed pages to organize the Xlookups and many data entry elements, as well as elements for display and review; thus avoiding trying to cram everything into one page.

At the end of each of the first two tab pages there is an element with code and a GOTO "on element exit" directing to the first element on the next page. (I want the data entry person to enter data in that last element.) Then the sequence simply stops, unless I click on the tab for the next page.

My workaround solution was to put a "dummy element" following that last element on the page, and using a GOTO "on element entry" from that "dummy element."  I then minimized that dummy element until it is hardly noticeable, and directed the previous element (on element exit") to it.

The sequence then goes automatically from those previusly "last elements" to the first elements on the next tabbed pages.

This sounds like a "Hokey" fix, but it works.  I think there should be a better way.  ...or am I having another "Senior moment"??

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re:  Tab Pages Sequencing
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 6:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Jfisher,

I know this does not answer your question but I thought It appropriate to mention that it was suggested by Lanticans to not use Goto. The recommended method is the throwfocus command.

Since eliminating Goto from my code and replacing with throwfocus some little oddities have vanished so I believe this to be a valuable suggestion.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

JFisher

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 2:28am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the throwfocus idea.  I will try it out. 

I also discovered that an LE can be made invisible, which could work with my "dummy LE' idea.  (Visibility(x,n)) page 36 in the prog manual.

Jack

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2004 at 2:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is there a way to goto next tab page without using mouse and without going to the end of the page?

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2004 at 4:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
This looks like a good place for "accelerator keys". 

Many other products allow naming like "&History" and "Ma&ps" that result in History and Maps to be presented and that allow ALT-H and ALT-p to execute the same functions that would occur as if they were clicked on. 

Any chance that we can see Accelerator Key capability built into the labels/names for elements and even the names of other objects that are on the Trees?

This ability to use accelerator keys also reduces the need for operator to switch back and forth betrween keyboard and mouse, and makes it easier to create macros with third party utilities.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

JFisher

No personal text

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2004 at 6:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hey, Guys...

I experimented until I found this works for me:

The last element on the page is now the next to the last, as my initial query said.  The operator needed to stop there and check to make sure the value was correct.  I  placed a goto in the on element exit to goto a newly placed last element just after that one.

In the new last element I minimized its size to make it unobtrusive, and placed an on-element-entry  instruction to goto the first element on the next tab page.  It works fine, even though there must be a better way, perhaps page 2 of the April "Inside Sesame."

Jack

IP Logged