Normal Topic Why not WYSIWYG? (Read 718 times)
Bobbi

No personal text

Why not WYSIWYG?
Feb 9th, 2004 at 1:30am
Print Post Print Post  
I was surprised this afternoon after saving a design and then opening it in Preview to put in some trial data.  The screen I created in Designer isn't the same!  Working with Sesame in full screen mode I made my form about an inch short of the right screen margin because I liked that break of the white canvas next to my colored form.  In Preview and runtime the color of my form extends all the way to the right margin.  This form has tabbed pages and the form width is just a fraction wider than the tab pages in Designer.  Now the tabs look silly sitting on these wider forms where things aren't even centered anymore.  What happened?  Why isn't the width the same as what I had in Designer?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Why not WYSIWYG?
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 2:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
We try to make things as WYSIWYG as we can, given that the application may well be, and often is, deployed at different resolutions, with Sesame open at differing sizes.

One of the early beta versions of Sesame opened the form with the same extents as set in SDesigner, but that was met with both confusion and dislike - in that designers could not predict the size that would be needed as deployed. To compensate, Sesame colors the background around the form (the background can grow as Sesame is maximized or stretched, but not the form) with the background color of the form. About an equal number of people then argued that they wanted the form centered, as argued that they wanted it in the top left corner. It was left in the top left corner in that that is simpler.

Having the form have an edge in designer remained, though, because it serves a practical non-aesthetic purpose. Elements can be dragged off the edge of the form to temporarily disable them in runtime, without deleting them. We call that "ghosting" an element.

To create an edge for your form can be done and retained in runtime by using a filled box type that is nearly the same size as the form  and a different color from the form. Then drag and drop elements on top of this unlabelled box. Using an "unfilled" box type will also create a nice border to simply mark the edge of the form.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bobbi

No personal text

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 11:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
To create an edge for your form can be done and retained in runtime by using a filled box type that is nearly the same size as the form  and a different color from the form. Then drag and drop elements on top of this unlabelled box. Using an "unfilled" box type will also create a nice border to simply mark the edge of the form.

Thanks Mark.  I created a plain "box" element, not image or static box, and sized it for the area I would like to have a white background.  Found it didn't work unless I first increased the right edge of my form so the box could be set on top of the form.  Otherwise it was ghosted.  But, I was unable to color the box itself, only the thin line around the box accepted coloring with the inside of the box showing the color of the background of the rest of the form.  I got around it by using a line element instead, making the line the size and shape of the rectangle on the right side of the form and then coloring the line white.  It's my intention to place command buttons in this area and so far it appears to be working.  Should I be able to apply a color to the inside of a box? 

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2004 at 1:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
The default box style is an unfilled border. If you select the box and go to the properties editor on the "Look" tab you will find a small pulldown menu: "Box Fill". Select "Filled" from the pulldown and your box will fill with the color selected on the "Color" tab for "Back/Fill".

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged