Normal Topic 2 topics 1)table view 2)arrays (Read 1776 times)
layers

No personal text

2 topics 1)table view 2)arrays
Jan 22nd, 2004 at 4:59am
Print Post Print Post  
1) I imported a bunch of data using csv conversion of a Q&A
db. Got the data into the new Sesame form OK but  there is this annoying problem in table view. When I try to sort colums in AS or DS order you cannot sort a column w/ missing data in some fields. Seems to sort OK if ALL records have an entry in a column. Does not sort (or at least totally sort, more on that later) if there are "holes" in your data. The columns w/ holes seem to sort only between holes, not the whole thing. I cannot sort a list to bring all "blank" records to the top (or bottom) if the page. Is this a bug or a limitation of the sort function in table view?
2) for us that are programmed "challenged" is there (or I request a more step by step) another reference as to how to set up and work w/ arrays? I was disappointed in not being able to set up a xlookup table in Sesame. Do agree that arrays are more powerful but certainly not easier to work with.   
???

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: 2 topics 1)table view 2)arrays
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 1:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
1) I imported a bunch of data using csv conversion of a Q&A
db. Got the data into the new Sesame form OK but  there is this annoying problem in table view. When I try to sort colums in AS or DS order you cannot sort a column w/ missing data in some fields. Seems to sort OK if ALL records have an entry in a column. Does not sort (or at least totally sort, more on that later) if there are "holes" in your data. The columns w/ holes seem to sort only between holes, not the whole thing. I cannot sort a list to bring all "blank" records to the top (or bottom) if the page. Is this a bug or a limitation of the sort function in table view?

Likely a bug. What type of field is doing this to you? Dates? Numbers?

Quote:
2) for us that are programmed "challenged" is there (or I request a more step by step) another reference as to how to set up and work w/ arrays? I was disappointed in not being able to set up a xlookup table in Sesame. Do agree that arrays are more powerful but certainly not easier to work with.   
???

The ability to combine multiple databases in a single Sesame application means that you can make your own Lookup table. A Lookup table is just an extra little database embedded inyour Q&A database.

Add another database to your application, populate it with records, and you can use it as a lookup table. The advantage to this is that you can have as many lookup "columns" as you need, rather than being limited to 4. You can also sort, mass update, export and run reports on your lookup table, just like any other database.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

layers

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 8:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
1) Seems if I do a sort on a column, that locks all other columns from sorting unless I go back and change the original column to "as searched" What I mean is you have really 3 choices in a column , AS,DS, or as searched. Once you sort you cannot sort another column "except" it will sub-sort(?) some individual records. This is rather hard for me to explain but I'm looking into it more in order to explain it better. The records I'm tabling number 6000 rows w/ about 25 columns so it's not always easy for me to see exactly whats going on.
2) I just meant more of a step by step approach to creating  arrays, including a good example of importing a "text" file
What I  found is ,to me, not very easy to understand. It's more my fault than yours.Need to set up an array w/ 26 lines and 4 columns, which I seem to be able to do but I seem to be  missing something in the syntax for populating the array. Will also look into this later.
3) In a combo box is there a way to change the contents of a drop down list depending on the data in another field?

IP Logged

layers

No personal text

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 3:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Re: table view. I did find some of the problem is I assume in how the fields are defined i.e. a field will sort as 1,104,11,112, ect. instead of 1,11,104,112. That I think I can deal with. Still worried about the functioning of the table view though.
New problem. I converted a limited set of data from Q&A to a txt file. Tried to import into a form in Sesame and did not have any luck w/ getting the right fields into the right place. One thing that stuck out was I could not import and populate a field set up as a combo box. Am I correct in this assumption.
Next observation is that I got some major crashing in Sesame
with errors such as
Microsoft Visual C++
File superblock.h
line 181
get NumAvailable() ==0
My only thought is that I did not eliminate (as I did I some earlier imports) some data that apparently Q&A needed
but is very detrimental to Sesame.
To explain: some of the individual records had *** in some of the fields in the txt file. At this point I assume this is a major no-no. Am I correct in assuming this caused the major crashes in Sesame import?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 3:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Re: table view. I did find some of the problem is I assume in how the fields are defined i.e. a field will sort as 1,104,11,112, ect. instead of 1,11,104,112. That I think I can deal with. Still worried about the functioning of the table view though.

Ah! The famous Text vs. Numbers sorting thing! Your field is defined as a Text field. Change it to a Number field and your values will sort as expected. If your field is defined as Text, Sesame sorts that values as Text, rather than interpreting them as Numbers.

Quote:
New problem. I converted a limited set of data from Q&A to a txt file. Tried to import into a form in Sesame and did not have any luck w/ getting the right fields into the right place. One thing that stuck out was I could not import and populate a field set up as a combo box. Am I correct in this assumption.

You can't dynamically populate a Combo Box. If you need this type of functionality, use UserSelect, XUserSelect or PopupMenu instead of a Combo Box.

Quote:
Next observation is that I got some major crashing in Sesame
with errors such as
Microsoft Visual C++
File superblock.h
line 181
get NumAvailable() ==0
My only thought is that I did not eliminate (as I did I some earlier imports) some data that apparently Q&A needed
but is very detrimental to Sesame.
To explain: some of the individual records had *** in some of the fields in the txt file. At this point I assume this is a major no-no. Am I correct in assuming this caused the major crashes in Sesame import?

The *** should not be causing this. Something else is going on. Can you give me a description of what you are doing when it crashes? Does it crash on the import itself?

- Hammer
IP Logged

layers

No personal text

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 7:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
OK , reproduced the crash. Was in Sesame , marked the fields to import. Went to import data, found the txt file to import,
went to import, got an admin error, checked the admin file to see the cause, usually ,and in this case,it was the usual import field number  didn't match, changed the number of fields to import to match the text file, ran it , same error ,
redid the field import, ran again the import, same message came up BUT then I got the C+++ error, actually multiple errors if click ignore on the first one  there are more behind
it. Finally Sesame shuts (or I should say Windows shuts Sesame down) down. I've imported before without this problem.

IP Logged

layers

No personal text

Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 7:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Oter errors are hoardheap and threadheap. Is it possible that Sesame has been damaged?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 8:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Oter errors are hoardheap and threadheap. Is it possible that Sesame has been damaged?

No, Sesame is not damaged. Can you send me the file you are trying to import? I'd like to try importing it and see if something in the data itself is making Sesame unhappy. Send it to erika@lantica.com.

- Hammer
IP Logged