Normal Topic Web based Sesame (Read 8263 times)
obfusc88

No personal text

Web based Sesame
May 29th, 2021 at 4:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
OK, finally trying to put a Sesame application on a Web server.
Using 1and1, Linux server, loading and managing from Windows 10 Pro.  Learning with sample Customers from https://www.lantica.com/support/kb/article/138-Running-Sesame-On-The-Web
===============
I have four issues:
Issue 1
Cannot run sesame command
Used Filezilla to make Sesame2 folder off the web root.
Uploaded sesame.exe and sunlock.exe, license file, Customers.db and .dat
Saved Customers blank ADD page as Customers.html and uploaded that.
Modified main.cgi with correct web page, and uploaded
Used PuTTY to get to command line, did "cd" to go to Sesame2 folder. 
Using "ls" I can see the seven files.
Now, the problems:
a.  When running the sesame command, "sesame -daemon -server localhost:20000:20001 &" and I get message:
" -bash: sesame: command not found"
b. I run "chmod +x sesame" and I get message "No such file or directory"
(I have not run chmod on any of the other files yet.)
Problem 1: How to run sesame command on server?
==================
Issue 2:
Instructions call for a python file: sesame_python_api.pyc
My 2.6.4 API files do not have such a file.  I do have a file _sesame_python_api.pyd, and a few variations of that. (Note the leading underscore in the name).
Problem 2: Where do I get correct python file?
===================
Issue 3:
Sample Web Customers form (https://lantica.com/APIExample/) does not return any Searches.   Get a message about Internal Server Error, including this last line "Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."
Problem 3: Is this live example no longer working as originally designed?
=====================
Issue4:
My main form has Four Tabs, each with tens of fields.  In planning for making the blank html files, is seems that I will need one file for each active tab.  What will their names be?  And one of the four tab pages, has its own three tab section, so it seems like I need three separate pages for that selected main tab page.  So, I need a total of six blank html pages, but what will their names be?  Is there documentation anywhere, that explains how the server is handling the page calls?
Problem 4: How to name saved blank html files for pages with Tab views?
=====================
Issue 5:
Curious why sesame.ini and sbasic_include.sbas are not needed on the Web server also?
Problem 5: Do I need to upload ini and sbasic files?
=================================
Thanks for listening.
Should I break this into four separate threads?
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2021 at 9:26pm by obfusc88 »  

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Web based Sesame
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2021 at 2:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
obfusc88 wrote on May 29th, 2021 at 4:08pm:
Problem 1: How to run sesame command on server?

You have to tell Linux that you mean the executable file named sesame in the current directory so:

./sesame

Note: You may need some Linux libraries that are not included with their default install of whatever flavor of Linux they are running. The Linux LDD script will show you the dependencies needed. Linux is not as easy as Windows but is far more powerful.

Quote:
Problem 2: Where do I get correct python file?

It's been a bit since I've messed with Python but I believe the .pyc is created when you run it as it's a compiled file. Just upload the appropriate .pyd file for your version of Python(renamed without the numbers in it) and be sure that everything is in the same working directory.

Quote:
Problem 3: Is this live example no longer working as originally designed?

Several months back the entire site got moved to a new server rather abruptly. I'm still slowly working on getting some things back up and working and that is one of the things I have not gotten to yet.

Quote:
Problem 4: How to name saved blank html files for pages with Tab views?

You can design your webpage or pages however you want to. In that example that Mark made it just uses the Customer form as a simple template for entering search criteria as it loops through that form grabbing the fields and using the values entered into them as search criteria.

Quote:
Problem 5: Do I need to upload ini and sbasic files?

You only need the ini file if you wish to change any of the default settings of Sesame.

You only need the .sbas file if you're going to include it on a client on that machine

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

obfusc88

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 3:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the details, Ray.  I will be back with results in next few days.  Can you suggest a Linux primer for the limited range of commands and structure that you think I might need?  What is the LDD script, where is it located, and how do I read it?
Is this  setupa service that most web server hosts provide?

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2021 at 3:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
I do not know of a good Linux primer for stuff like this.

LDD is usually installed by default in Linux and shows shared library dependencies. Essentially it's a command line tool.

A lot of shared web servers really limit what you can do on them. They don't tend to like people installing their own software, etc. so something like this is not a service that is usually offered by them. You may get a helpful tech that will help install a needed library such as the 32 bit compatibility libraries or one of the needed shared libraries but for the most part, you're really on your own when setting up and managing your own server.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

MPC Charles

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2021 at 2:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
I noticed you were looking for a Linux Primer... I would suggest looking at tldp.org. It is the Linux Documentation Project. There are several different guides and how-tos on the page.

IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2022 at 12:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Any news on this? I would love to be able to host Sesame from a cloud server. Subscribing to this, hope to hear more about it.

IP Logged

jacker

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2023 at 1:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Acebanner,

Probably not the answer you want, but I run a Sesame server on a cloud server successfully. A WINDOWS cloud server... Cheesy

Good luck!
Jack

Jack - I'm smokin' past the filter and it's burnin' my lips...
YIM YIM  
IP Logged