Normal Topic 1 OF 5 DATABASES SEEMS TO BE INVISIBLE. (Read 7133 times)
wattsup

1 OF 5 DATABASES SEEMS TO BE INVISIBLE.
Dec 27th, 2020 at 12:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi to all Sesame Gurus and Followers. May the Sesame Force be with you.

OK, I have a problem that is surely not a programming error. I have tried finding a solution for a week now and still stumped. I don't think I need to post any more code than this.....

returnVAL = @XLookupSourceList(@FN,CHECKFAC,"INVOICE!FACTFACT","NAME;ADDRESS")

There are 39 more LE's after ADDRESS but I kept it short.

OK I have an App with 5 databases. Two of them we upkeep for products and agents. The other three which are Water Analysis, Clients Files and Invoice are the main databases with one form each. Each form has two fields added into which when adding new data, you can enter the unique number like analysis number, client number or invoice number and the name/address information will quickly populate the elements to speed up form entry. Like a three way exchange. The problem could be summarized as follows;

Analysis db/form can capture data from the Client db but not the Invoice db.
Client db/form can capture data from the Analysis db but not the Invoice db.
The Invoice db/form can capture data from both the Analysis and Client db's.

The Invoice db/form is fully functional on its own but it seems like it is invisible to the other two. There are no programming errors. The Invoice dB was renamed a few times to its current name so I am thinking that maybe there is a phantom entry that is still calling it an older name.

In the Program Editor I noticed that when you use a line like........
returnVAL = @XLookupSourceList(@FN,CHECKFAC,"INVOICE!FACTFACT","NAME;ADDRESS")

If you do a Test Program it will find errors for returnVAL and CHECKFAC if there is a spelling mistake but it does not look for errors in "INVOICE!FACTFACT","NAME;ADDRESS" meaning the Test does not check if there is an element named FACTFACT in the INVOICE database nor does it check that the INVOICE database has the elements named NAME and ADDRESS (and 39 more). I checked the other db's and it is the same for them so I think that is just a normal thing.

So my question is....... is there something in Sesame that if you checked or unchecked would render a database unusable to draw data into other databases? I'm just lost having tried all the variables possible for something so easy that should have worked from day one hence my post here today. I have checked the programming lines which are the standard stuff and there are no mistakes so it has to be something like a switch.

Keep well.
Leon Stepanian

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: 1 OF 5 DATABASES SEEMS TO BE INVISIBLE.
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 3:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Leon,

There are no switches for something like that. The most likely answer is a spelling error in one of the 41 element names in the source list of elements. The programming editor can not check those for syntax errors as they exist on a form outside the scope of the current form.

If you run the code
Code
Select All
Write(@XListvalues(@FN,"INVOICE!FACTFACT")) 

and it works. We know that Sesame can access that form(remember XLookup and kin uses form and element names, not database and field names) and the FACTFACT element.

So what you can do to determine what element name is spelled wrong is open the Invoice form in Search/Update and retrieve a record. Open the Mass Update Programming Editor. Copy and paste the entire source list of element names without the beginning and ending quote so you have
Code
Select All
NAME;ADDRESS;NEXTELEMENT;ETC;ETC2 

Then do a Replace and replace ; with = so you have
Code
Select All
NAME=ADDRESS=NEXTELEMENT=ETC=ETC2 

Then click Test Program. Since you are now compiling against the Invoice Form, Sesame can tell you what element name is not correct. Be sure not to run this Mass Update!!!

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

wattsup

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 6:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ray and thanks for your kind reply.
First off Happy New Year 2021 to all Sesame users and especially to the gang at Lantica.

I did your suggestions and found a colon (Smiley trailing one of the element names.
It was impossible to see with the regular text sizes in the design panel so I tweaked the Sesame.ini and increased the program font size and used Ariel Bold as well. Now I can see everything on the control panel.

I was running some pretty bleak logic thinking of a hidden switch I might have activated after so so many hours. Man I am a  happy camper. Thanks. 

Maybe one question on tweaking. Is there a tweak for the width of the control panel itself since the fonts are bigger the command words surpass the end of each line. It's not critical but just for the form. I attached so you can see the effect.

Kindest regards,
Leon Stepanian

panel-width.png ( 21 KB | 55 Downloads )
panel-width.png

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 2:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Leon,

Happy New Years to you as well. In your Sesame.ini file you can add and modify the following entry. 250 is the default value

Code
Select All
COMMAND AREA WIDTH: 250 

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

wattsup

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2021 at 5:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray thanks again for your reply.

I already had that command in the Sesame.ini file but after a certain number it does not make anymore difference but it's not a critical issue.

I do however have one more question. It's about printing.

I customized one of my database forms so that by simply pressing print it will print the form and the look is perfect for our usage. This saves on having to deal with another Wordmerge. The problem is although the form spans two printed pages when using the Page Down with 2 as the value, I really only need page one to print but in the print dialog, the choice for which pages to print is greyed out with only the All choice always checked.

Is there a way to print only page one when using a Page Down setting of 2, hopefully if I can add a Command button on the form that will only print page 1, maybe later another command button to only print page 2 and maybe even a third command button to print both pages.

I looked very extensively in both the programming and general use pdfs but there is nothing in there to designate such a choice which I find rather funny since it is such a standard in any program.

Kind regards
Leon Stepanian

IP Logged