Normal Topic Sesame on the Web: Client? CGI? Possibilities? (Read 1594 times)
actiontech

Sesame on the Web: Client? CGI? Possibilities?
May 5th, 2017 at 5:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello, I'm trying to utilize SSH to connect a Sesame Server database to a webpage on a GoDaddy hosted website. I've tried following the Sesame on the Web guide with some success, except that my form page didn't seem to work, didn't post any results, etc.

I'm curious as to whether we could run a Sesame Client from the website, rather than having to host it as a Server on the website, and thus all of it's data on the website, and thus also taxing the website's resources.

I think I read in some forum post that someone asked a similar question, and the basic response was that Sesame would need to have a CGI interface so that it can directly interact with the website. I did some basic research on this but don't understand much.

I was wondering if this issue has been addressed or will be addressed in the next release, so that people can integrate their home server's with their websites more and more.

Also, are there any workarounds? I read something about importing and exporting SQL? Like having a dual database on your website, and it exports some SQL, then you import it into your Sesame Server, and vice-versa. Is this a possibility?

Thank you much for any thoughts you may have on this.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Sesame on the Web: Client? CGI? Possibilities?
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2017 at 6:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello,

You can run the Sesame API as a client(but not the actual Sesame Program as a client) from your website to connect to your Local Sesame Server. You will need to either setup and use SSH Tunneling, or make sure that ports 20,000 and 20,001 are open on your local firewalls and forwarded from your router to the internal server and that your script is allowed to open ports on the web server to connect out to your local Server. There are a variety of reasons why you are unable to get anything to be returned by your script starting with is your script even able to make connection to your server?

If you wish to do a dual database setup, You would export the data out of an SQL based database to a transferable format, such as CSV. Then that file would be FTP'd or otherwise downloaded and then imported into Sesame to complete the transfer.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

actiontech

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2017 at 1:32am
Print Post Print Post  
I think I got the SSH part of it figured out, as far as the ports, I'm still working on that. I'm not that sure how to run the Sesame API as a client. I get that there is a PHP API or maybe a HTML API which I thought was cool, but I'm not sure what to do with them yet.

The guide mostly shows you how to setup a Sesame Server on the web. So, I'm not completely clear on what steps I should leave out, or be doing a different step not listed.

Is there any possibility I could get some assistance with this? And if so, how much would that cost?

I'm not much of a programmer, but trying to learn. I'd really like to get this streamlined though.

Thank you for your assistance.

IP Logged

actiontech

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2017 at 3:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Any more word on this?

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2017 at 3:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello,

Given that you are not sure what to do with the API or how to use it, I would recommend getting in touch with a Sesame consultant who is familiar with the API and getting a quote on the project that you are wishing to accomplish.

We do offer focused support which is a paid hourly service, but going that route would take more time and money than having a consultant do it for you.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged