Normal Topic Transfering Information (Read 728 times)
Zannion

Transfering Information
Jul 11th, 2013 at 8:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
I was given an interesting project today, in which I have a few ways of approaching, but am unsure which may be the best way to do so.

The situation that involves this project is as follows:

Sesame is used to store our database information, from our clientele's contact information to our jobs that we have completed for them.  One of the options that we have is to create a Proposal for our customers, which highlights the steps we follow to complete our jobs.  We also have an option to create an invoice as well, which has the same information.  There are times when we have to customize our steps for jobs based upon the individual job.  There are times when these steps can be simple, and there are times when they can become extremely complex.

One of the things that we attempt to do through human interaction, is to ensure that the steps in the proposals match the steps in our invoices.  Recently this was not the case, as the individual creating the invoice did not copy the steps from the proposal manually, transferring them into the invoice from the proposal.

So what do I want to accomplish?

What happens in our system is that Sesame sends this information to Microsoft Word, when the proposal is created.  I want to set up Sesame to retrieve information from a specific field of these documents, transferring them from Word to Sesame, then back to Word.  I want this to happen with as little interaction as possible, as the goal is to reduce the amount of steps that the user must process to currently complete this task.

This is not a simple matter, as the steps that are illustrated in a proposal can be as few as 1, to as many as needed.  I've had proposals that have had 20+ steps to them, stopping only from a lack of room on the paper.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Look into my eye...

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: Transfering Information
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2013 at 1:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Zannion,

Just wondering why you are taking info out of your sesame App into word and then wanting to bring stuff from the word document back into Sesame. Could you explain in a bit more detail what you are wanting to do?

It sounds to me from your explanation that you are  creating a proposal from sesame (That may be generic to the specific steps but containing all your clients info) and merging it to a word document that you are then editing to fit a particular clients needs and then wanting to slug the data back into Sesame.

If I am interpreting that correctly I would think you could do the entire thing inside of Sesame.

Please give us more details so maybe we can give you some things to think about.

Thanks 

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged