Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Using Sesame for a document database (Read 8383 times)
StreifLicht

Using Sesame for a document database
Mar 16th, 2013 at 9:32am
Print Post Print Post  
I am quiet new to Sesame and currently testing Sesame.
I would like to build a document databsase and therefore
I neet a field to store a file.
I have found already a field for storing pictures so i can
Store a small preview of the document. But a field for
storing a pdf-document i am missing.
Maybe some of the experts could give me a hint for that.
Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Using Sesame for a document database
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 6:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
By no means I am an expert, but responding to let you know that Sesame can handle document management system very well. I know because I have one and that handles various documents, .pdf, doc, docx, jpg, xls, etc., for all my more than three thousands active clients. I also have document management system in my personal organizer system.

In my system, Documents is a subform in tableview, meaning it is a subdatabase. A document can be opened up using Asynchshell ( ) command on element entry event in one of the tableview elements.  Sesame does not have the field that could display pdf file but it will be displayed in pdf reader or Adobe Acrobat or any other program associated with pdf file in your pc. The same is applicable to other documents file such as doc or xls. The document can be scanned in directly (I use TwainSave program) or picked up from email or anywhere in your file manager of PC. Description that you enter will be used to locate it by search parameters and unique filename is generated by the programming. My documents are in the cloud and they automatically synch to network pc at home or office. The documents are available to me also on the road using Teamviewer with my cellphone or tablet. 

Since you are testing the program, I thought it is not inappropriate to point out the awesome power of Sesame that a non-programmer like me can harness!! Once you will start using the program and put a few codes here and there, you will start feeling confident and see what more you can do with Sesame. Your greatest asset while learning will be this forum. Just place a query here and you will be surprised that how many people are out there, eager to help you. Good Luck.

IP Logged

StreifLicht

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 9:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you very much for this positive answer. So i will go further investigating the features of Sesame.
I am currently working with the Quick_Start_Tutorial.

Could it be that the preview mode has changed a little bit from version 2.0 to the actual version 2.5 ?

In the Turorial is described a preview mode like shown on attachment 1, but on the screen it looks like this (attachment 2). I send attachment 2 in another post, because i am alowed attaching only one attachment.

Sesame_Tut1.png ( 192 KB | 73 Downloads )
Sesame_Tut1.png

IP Logged

StreifLicht

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2013 at 9:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Here's attachment 2. The preview mode on my screen looks like this:

Sesame_Prg1.png ( 24 KB | 81 Downloads )
Sesame_Prg1.png

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 2:46am
Print Post Print Post  
If you see, the Label Color properties of elements and background color properties of both the forms are not the same. And the difference in look is because of that and not due to different versions.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 3:41am
Print Post Print Post  
Tree view versus button view menus?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

StreifLicht

Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 10:56am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Tree view versus button view menus?

Yes, the button menu on the left side (with the essential commands). It works but its different to the tutorial. Therefore i am asking...
The different colors of the form are present because i played a bit with the property editor.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Mar 17th, 2013 at 2:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes, the default menu changed between versions 2.0 and 2.5. You can, however, switch between them and use whichever you prefer. The button menu is simpler and initially easier to use. The tree menu is more complex and powerful. There are entries in the file sesame.ini that control much of the user interface:

https://www.lantica.com/support/kb/article/000217

IP Logged

StreifLicht

Reply #8 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 9:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
I will try it with the button menus. Just to know, that it is now in v2.5 different is ok for me. Thank you!

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #9 - Mar 18th, 2013 at 9:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Since you are making Document database, you probably will have to work with scanner for atleast some of the documents. Following thread will get you thinking...

http://lantica.com/Forum4/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1302811064/5#5

IP Logged

StreifLicht

Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 10:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you again for the hint.
Today i order a copy of Sesame v2.
For starting i need to add a pdf document to the database. For one dataset i would like to have some fields and the possibility to add the documents.
What is the common case - do Sesame save the links to the document or do Sesame save the document within its database?
One case could be, that i have a folder with pdf documents and select the desited document with a "file open" or "select file" command". Currently i don't know how to start.
Maybe i should finish the tutorial first...
But i would like to test the "document field" as soon as possible  Wink

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - Mar 23rd, 2013 at 10:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame can store the document internally (by translation in base-64),  but I strongly recommend that you simply store the path to the document. Storing it internally is very space consumming and doesn't really have any benefit other than making it easier to move the application from one computer to another, which can otherwise be easily programmed.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #12 - Mar 24th, 2013 at 12:10am
Print Post Print Post  
StreifLicht, how many maximum documents would you have in a record?  Please read up on @AsynchShell ( ) command. You can also read up of a related commands such as @Shell ( ).

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #13 - Mar 24th, 2013 at 1:04am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Sesame can store the document internally (by translation in base-64)

Mark, just wondering how that is done? Do we need to use converter and encoder?  I have been using  storing the path method and avoid having a bloated application. But still wondering, how is it stored internally? I am wondering if anyone of the users is using the base-64 internal storage method?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #14 - Mar 24th, 2013 at 5:52am
Print Post Print Post  
Yah, you need a base-64 encoder and decoder. Sesame has one built in, but it isn't exposed in Sesame 2. Basically, base-64 is one of many encodings that allow binary data, like a PDF file, to be stored as ASCII strings. There are many free encoders and decoders for base-64. It is the common transmission format for binary images displayed on web pages and email readers. Sesame also uses it when transmitting binary images.

Sesame 3 has several other ways to store binary data, somewhat more directly. But, in general, it is wiser and more efficient to store large binaries in the file-system, rather than in any database. There isn't any direct way to search large binaries from a form, or even display any and all binary formats that can be indexed. So, you end up having to write them to temporary files just to display them anyways, especially on Windows. And, they do cause a lot of useless bloat.

It is better to derive keywords or other information from the binary and store those along with the path to the binary in a database. Then use you favorite viewer for whatever binary format you are dealing with.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print