Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sesame Client over the Internet (Read 8416 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Sesame Client over the Internet
Jun 5th, 2012 at 6:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am trying to get a Sesame Client connected to server over the Internet with no success. Do I have to open up ports in the router and the firewall? What ports do I have to open? I am having static IP and I am using following Line as the target in shortcut to get connected--
C:\Sesame2\Program\sesame.exe -client xx.xxx.x.xxx

Please help.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Sesame Client over the Internet
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 6:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
20000 and 20001 are the default ports.

You will need to consider the firewall in the router and any firewalls that may be running on the server computer itself.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 6:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat,

my shortcut looks like this:

C:\sesame2\Program\sesame.exe -client xx.xx.xx.xxx:YYYYY:ZZZZZ

where "x" represents the server static IP;  "Y" represents the beginning Sesame server port; and "Z" represents the ending Sesame server port

Larry
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 9:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just to clarify, its not a beginning port and ending port in the sense of a range of ports. It is simply two ports with different numbers. So, for example, should you use ports 20000 and 20020, Sesame will not use ports 20001 through 20019. It will just use 20000 and 20020.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 9:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven,
Did you have to open up ports in the firewall of router and firewall of Windows ( or zoneAlarm or other software) before you could connect?

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 9:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Can I assign the ports to sesame to use that I know are open both in router firewall and software firewall?  I had opened up 8080, 3386, 5631 and 5632 for other software. I am not using them that much. Can I assign those ports to Sesame? How do I do that?  Do I write Port 8080 as 08080 or just 8080? I am also using LAN so, I do not want to see that interfering with LAN. I do have enough licenses, so I believe that should not be a problem.

IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2012 at 10:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat,

I did, in fact, notify/designate in my security firewall software (F-secure), both on the server and on the client, about allowing my Sesame ports.

Cow,

Thank you for that clarification.  I'm happy to not be 'fuzzy' on that any longer (although it's still a long list...)
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:01am by lksseven »  

Larry
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 9:36pm:
lksseven,
Did you have to open up ports in the firewall of router and firewall of Windows ( or zoneAlarm or other software) before you could connect? 

You will need to open those ports on both the Firewall on the router and on the server(which should already be open). Also depending on how you are set up you may also need to tell the router to forward ports 20,000 & 20,0001(or the ports you use) to your server computer. There should be a section in the Router admin page that says Port Forwarding or maybe just Forwarding where you can do this.

Bharat_Naik wrote on Jun 5th, 2012 at 9:40pm:
Can I assign the ports to sesame to use that I know are open both in router firewall and software firewall?  I had opened up 8080, 3386, 5631 and 5632 for other software. I am not using them that much. Can I assign those ports to Sesame? How do I do that?  Do I write Port 8080 as 08080 or just 8080? I am also using LAN so, I do not want to see that interfering with LAN. I do have enough licenses, so I believe that should not be a problem.

You say you are not using them that much, that means you are using them some. If you assign those ports to Sesame, Sesame is going to try to handle ALL communication on those ports, which means it's going to try to answer what those other programs are asking. My advice is to just open ports 20000 and 20001 in the firewall and leave those other ports for the other programs. Also I may be wrong on this, and Mark will correct me if I am, but you should always have Sesame's second port 1 number higher than the first port, so use consecutive numbers.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #8 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 2:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
After opening up the ports 20000 and 20001 in firewalls, it connects fine over the internet. Is there any way that instead of using client resources (such as printer and file systems, external programs), it can use the resources on the server?

IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 8:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes, I would also love it if the Sesame client over the internet could use the Sesame server's printers

Larry
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #10 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 8:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Google Cloud Printer is used over internet. For Client connected through Internet, if the server printer is configured as Google Cloud printer.  Is there any way to use Sesame to print through Google cloud printer on server printer? Just wondering...

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 9:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat,

I assume when you mention "resources" you are talking about resources available from SBasic. Most of the "resources-in-general" that Sesame uses, are used on the server already. For example, when you open an application, you are scanning the file-system on the server, not the client, for application files.

But, SBasic usually runs in the client so that it can have access to the form from which it was invoked. We can't give SBasic free reign over resources on the server because that would allow the end user a tremendous amount of power over a computer that everyone shares. Sesame server is often invoked by someone with administrative authority over that computer. Sesame "inherits" that authority. So, should we hand SBasic that same power, it would be relatively trivial for someone to write a small mass-update that can do big damage to the server computer's file-system. This is why there are special entries in the sesame.ini file for the server just dealing with SBasic running on the server, for those rare cases (retrieve specs and mass-update-on-server) when SBasic can be run on the server.

Otherwise, you can access any resource available to the client, which may very well be the server's printer or file-system. I would not, though, recommend that you expose either to the Internet.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #12 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 9:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark for the explanation. What about just a printer? Many time I have to work remotely and it is good to know that I can work remotely using Sesame Client over the net. If only I can just print out a document on office printer that my secretary can give it to the client!!

IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #13 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 11:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
So, regarding printing from a remote Sesame client to a main location printer, I guess what Bharat and I are really wanting is a little client/server print server?

Larry
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #14 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 12:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat, Lkseven,

You can set up a printer to be available remotely. There are several protocols available that provide some security. If it is a network printer, you can use port forwarding in your router to access it remotely. If it is a local printer on a computer, you can forward the "share" on that computer. The details depend on the printer, the computer, and the router.

Be forewarned, opening up your network to the outside world is perilous, especially using MS software and OSs. It would be wise to place one machine (and maybe its printer) in the DMZ of your router and make sure it has no other network connections in your facility.

IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #15 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 1:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark,

So, if I use port forwarding on my router, and add a printer to my remote workstation with the following printer address ( http://Router_Name:631/ipp/PrinterShareName ) in order to print remotely, am I putting my network at risk?

Larry
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #16 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 2:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
You may want to check out Hamachi at https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/

It's incredibly easy to set up, and creates a secure hosted VPN. Since it's hosted you don't have deal with opening any ports, because each end reaches out to the host to establish the connection, and the host patches them together. It's free for up to 5 connections (including the server). You can pay for more connections, if needed.

This would allow you to print to a shared or networked printer, not to mention allow Sesame to communicate without you having to do any port forwarding.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #17 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 3:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks, Carl!  I'll check it out.

Larry
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #18 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 8:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Jun 7th, 2012 at 1:45pm:
Mark,

So, if I use port forwarding on my router, and add a printer to my remote workstation with the following printer address ( http://Router_Name:631/ipp/PrinterShareName ) in order to print remotely, am I putting my network at risk? 

Some. Probably not a whole lot. The main risk would be that someone else uses (abuses) your printer. But, any open port through a firewall weakens the firewall.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #19 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 9:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame Client over Internet is getting disconnected if it remains idle for about 5 minutes. I know there has to be some timeout setting either for TCP-IP or UDP ports or Router firewall or software firewall on server. I am not able to find as to where do I change the setting of the timeout period. I will appreciate if someone guides me to setup longer timeout period.

Sesame client over the Internet is very fast as compared to Remote desktop or PCAnywhere. I like it a lot.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #20 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 12:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Jun 27th, 2012 at 9:43pm:
Sesame Client over Internet is getting disconnected if it remains idle for about 5 minutes. I know there has to be some timeout setting either for TCP-IP or UDP ports or Router firewall or software firewall on server. I am not able to find as to where do I change the setting of the timeout period. I will appreciate if someone guides me to setup longer timeout period.

What OS, firewalls, etc... are at each end? We are using TCP only, so you needn't worry about UDP.

Quote:
Sesame client over the Internet is very fast as compared to Remote desktop or PCAnywhere. I like it a lot.

We don't have to pump an image of a user interface through the network.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #21 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 3:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark.
Server End - Windows7, Linksys Router, AVG Firewall
Client End - Windows XP, Linksys Router and ZoneAlarm firewall

Sometimes Client side is used as Server and Server Side as Client depending on where I am.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #22 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 6:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 3:48pm:
Thanks Mark.
Server End - Windows7, Linksys Router, AVG Firewall
Client End - Windows XP, Linksys Router and ZoneAlarm firewall

Sometimes Client side is used as Server and Server Side as Client depending on where I am.

Before you try anything else, as a temporary experiment, turn off all of your firewalls and try to stay connected with no activity. If you can, then turn on the firewalls one by one and try to stay connected with no activity as you turn on each. That way you can narrow down whether it is a particular firewall's settings.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #23 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 6:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark. I will do that and report to you the results. Router firewall will remain I guess. Is there any way to temporarily take that down? I believe that is hardware firewall.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #24 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 6:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
You can usually turn off a router's firewall in the router's configuration screen. For now, concentrate on the software firewalls. It is likely the router that is giving you grief, but we have to be a lot more careful not let in the bad guys and it is actually doing that, while the supplemental software firewalls are probably only stopping people who are already on your network from getting on a specific computer, if that much.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #25 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 6:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
BTW: it is likely that the problem is on the notify port, not the main port. Are you sure both ports are open through all the firewalls?

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #26 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 7:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Turning off firewalls (namely AVG and Zonealarm) on both the sides at the same time has no effect. Client stopped working after 10 minutes.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #27 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 7:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
I suspect that the notify port is not open all the way through. Sesame server runs a "ping" through the notify port. If there is no activity on the main port and the ping cannot get through on the notify port (after quite a few tries), the server will disconnect the main port, under the assumption that that client is no longer actually there.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #28 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
How do I check notify port? On both side routers port 20000 and 20001 are opened.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #29 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:06pm:
How do I check notify port? On both side routers port 20000 and 20001 are opened.

Other than by going through every device between the client and the server and making sure all is set... check the sesame logs on the client and the server for a sesame disconnect error at the same time that the client disconnects. Look particularly for S_COM errors (communications). 510091 is especially popular if sesame's connection is timing out.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #30 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Error Log on Client says: Communication Error on Notify Socket

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #31 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Linksys router often have a "max idle time" variable you can set in the configuration web page. I believe to turn it off, and be connected always, even when idle, you set it to 0. Setting connect on demand will not work with Sesame, in that Sesame wants a constant connection.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #32 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 7:13pm:
Turning off firewalls (namely AVG and Zonealarm) on both the sides at the same time has no effect. Client stopped working after 10 minutes.

This is not a firewall issue. It is a router issue. I've found that most (if not all) routers will disconnect a TCP session if it perceives it to be idle for about 8-10 minutes.

I have a client that uses Sesame over the Internet, and they kept getting disconnected. A couple of years ago, I finally had to include a button that they could click on to invoke some code that will repeatedly "ping" the server by requesting @ServerTime(). This keeps traffic flowing through the router, and forces the router to recognize that the connection is still alive. I'm using RunEntryOnInterval() to repeatedly run the code.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #33 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:24pm:
Error Log on Client says: Communication Error on Notify Socket

510401?

That can happen if the notify port cannot be opened by Sesame, or if it has been opened but will not allow a message to pass through. Typically this would be the port on the server, though it could be at any point along the way to the client, if messages are being stopped.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #34 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
The Cow wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:26pm:
Linksys router often have a "max idle time" variable you can set in the configuration web page. I believe to turn it off, and be connected always, even when idle, you set it to 0. Setting connect on demand will not work with Sesame, in that Sesame wants a constant connection.

That must be a new feature. A couple of years ago, I couldn't find that there was any provision like this. Many others around the Internet were also confirming that there was no setting (at that time) to keep a connection alive for more than the default built into the router. Unless, of course, you were to flash it with a 3rd party firmware, like Tomato.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #35 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl Underwood wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:31pm:
The Cow wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:26pm:

That must be a new feature. A couple of years ago, I couldn't find that there was any provision like this. Many others around the Internet were also confirming that there was no setting (at that time) to keep a connection alive for more than the default built into the router. Unless, of course, you were to flash it with a 3rd party firmware, like Tomato.

I have no idea whether it is available in all connection types on all routers. But that screencap is very old. Look which browser it is. Maybe they got rid of an old feature?

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #36 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
What model Linksys is that? I have a couple here, and none of them have that.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #37 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Never mind, I just noticed that your firmware is from 2000! So, you obviously have a pretty old Linksys. I don't think the new ones have that feature.

Plus, I think that timeout is related to the PPPoE connection, isn't it? Because I do see a those radio buttons if I change my connection type to PPPoE, but they are not there with the "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" or "Static IP" settings.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #38 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Not my router in the previous screenshot. Here is similar from my (fairly old) linksys router:

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #39 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl Underwood wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:42pm:
Plus, I think that timeout is related to the PPPoE connection, isn't it? Because I do see a those radio buttons if I change my connection type to PPPoE, but they are not there with the "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" or "Static IP" settings.

You don't think that is related specifically to the PPPoE setting? It appears right below the PPPoE login.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #40 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 9:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl Underwood wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:58pm:
Carl Underwood wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:42pm:

You don't think that is related specifically to the PPPoE setting? It appears right below the PPPoE login.

It may well be. I'm using PPPoE to connect to our DSL modem.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #41 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 9:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Now my stupid router is not accepting my password. I was leaving the username blank and had to use password. It worked for years. Now it is asking for UserName and Password both. Thinking it might have reset to factory default, I used all combinations of admin and it still does not work. I think I will have to reset the router and open various ports and set max idle time.  Angry

IP Logged