Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sesame Client over the Internet (Read 8419 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Sesame Client over the Internet
Reply #30 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Error Log on Client says: Communication Error on Notify Socket

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #31 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Linksys router often have a "max idle time" variable you can set in the configuration web page. I believe to turn it off, and be connected always, even when idle, you set it to 0. Setting connect on demand will not work with Sesame, in that Sesame wants a constant connection.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #32 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 7:13pm:
Turning off firewalls (namely AVG and Zonealarm) on both the sides at the same time has no effect. Client stopped working after 10 minutes.

This is not a firewall issue. It is a router issue. I've found that most (if not all) routers will disconnect a TCP session if it perceives it to be idle for about 8-10 minutes.

I have a client that uses Sesame over the Internet, and they kept getting disconnected. A couple of years ago, I finally had to include a button that they could click on to invoke some code that will repeatedly "ping" the server by requesting @ServerTime(). This keeps traffic flowing through the router, and forces the router to recognize that the connection is still alive. I'm using RunEntryOnInterval() to repeatedly run the code.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #33 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:24pm:
Error Log on Client says: Communication Error on Notify Socket

510401?

That can happen if the notify port cannot be opened by Sesame, or if it has been opened but will not allow a message to pass through. Typically this would be the port on the server, though it could be at any point along the way to the client, if messages are being stopped.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #34 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
The Cow wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:26pm:
Linksys router often have a "max idle time" variable you can set in the configuration web page. I believe to turn it off, and be connected always, even when idle, you set it to 0. Setting connect on demand will not work with Sesame, in that Sesame wants a constant connection.

That must be a new feature. A couple of years ago, I couldn't find that there was any provision like this. Many others around the Internet were also confirming that there was no setting (at that time) to keep a connection alive for more than the default built into the router. Unless, of course, you were to flash it with a 3rd party firmware, like Tomato.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #35 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl Underwood wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:31pm:
The Cow wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:26pm:

That must be a new feature. A couple of years ago, I couldn't find that there was any provision like this. Many others around the Internet were also confirming that there was no setting (at that time) to keep a connection alive for more than the default built into the router. Unless, of course, you were to flash it with a 3rd party firmware, like Tomato.

I have no idea whether it is available in all connection types on all routers. But that screencap is very old. Look which browser it is. Maybe they got rid of an old feature?

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #36 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
What model Linksys is that? I have a couple here, and none of them have that.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #37 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Never mind, I just noticed that your firmware is from 2000! So, you obviously have a pretty old Linksys. I don't think the new ones have that feature.

Plus, I think that timeout is related to the PPPoE connection, isn't it? Because I do see a those radio buttons if I change my connection type to PPPoE, but they are not there with the "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" or "Static IP" settings.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #38 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Not my router in the previous screenshot. Here is similar from my (fairly old) linksys router:

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #39 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl Underwood wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:42pm:
Plus, I think that timeout is related to the PPPoE connection, isn't it? Because I do see a those radio buttons if I change my connection type to PPPoE, but they are not there with the "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" or "Static IP" settings.

You don't think that is related specifically to the PPPoE setting? It appears right below the PPPoE login.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #40 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 9:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl Underwood wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:58pm:
Carl Underwood wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:42pm:

You don't think that is related specifically to the PPPoE setting? It appears right below the PPPoE login.

It may well be. I'm using PPPoE to connect to our DSL modem.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #41 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 9:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Now my stupid router is not accepting my password. I was leaving the username blank and had to use password. It worked for years. Now it is asking for UserName and Password both. Thinking it might have reset to factory default, I used all combinations of admin and it still does not work. I think I will have to reset the router and open various ports and set max idle time.  Angry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print