Normal Topic Create PDF from QA? (Read 782 times)
Rick_R

Create PDF from QA?
Dec 26th, 2011 at 6:52am
Print Post Print Post  
I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to create PDF's directly from Q&A under Windows 7. For physical USB printers, as I have described elsewhere, under Win XP you can set the printer as shared and then use Window's net use command and "share" the printer with yourself. Because it would seem there would be no reason why someone would want to share the printer with the computer it's attached to, that doesn't work under Win 7. For Win 7 the printer must be attached to a different computer.  In practice, however, if the printer also has an Ethernet port you can connect it to your PC as USB and to your server as Ethernet and then use the net use to redirect to the new network printer.

I tried the Windows 7 approach with two free PDF virtual printers, DoPDF and CuteWriter and couldn't get it to work although it really seems it should be possible.  Has anyone tried any other virtual printers such as the ones with Acrobat or PDF Converter Pro? I have DoPDF set up on all the machines as a local printer but I don't see why it wouldn't work as a shared network printer.  (Didn't spend much time with it, though.)

IP Logged