Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sesame 3 (Read 59076 times)
Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Sesame 3
Jul 6th, 2011 at 1:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
I know some of you aren't on Facebook, so I figured I'd post the Sesame 3 info here as well.  I'm just going to start going through our change log and sharing some of this stuff with you in no particular order. Feel free to comment. Smiley

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame 3 - Client/Server
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 1:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Those of you running client-server will like that we updated things so that if a client is disconnected due to things like a network hiccup or timeout, it will try to reconnect, rather than you having to close the client and reopen it.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame 3 - Form Thumbnails
Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 1:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
One of the new features in Sesame 3 is Form Thumbnails. When you open a database, in addition to being able to select a form by name from the Button Menu, you will also be able to select a form visually by clicking on its thumbnail image. You can also select a form thumbnail to appear as the application icon in various dialog boxes. You can control whether the form thumbnails appear or not. You can also set them to appear only for top-level forms.

S3_form_thumbnails.png (Attachment deleted)

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame 3 - New XResultSet Commands
Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 1:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
For those of you who program your applications with SBasic: If you are using the XResultSet family (and if you're not, you should be), Sesame 3 adds several super-useful new commands to that family.

@XResultSetNew(filename as string, record_definition as string) as int - Creates a new empty result set.

@XResultSetUnion(one_id, two_id) as int - Merges two result sets into a new destination result set, sans duplicates.

@XResultSetDifference(one_id, two_id) as int - Finds the difference between two result sets (all of the records in one_id that do not also appear in two_id).

@XResultSetCompare(one_id, two_id) as int - Finds the same records between two result sets (all of the records in one_id that do also appear in two_id).

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame 3 - Close Button
Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 1:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 includes a context-sensitive Close button that acts much like pressing Escape in Q&A. From a record, the Close button closes your tab. From the Application Menu, the Close button closes your application. If no application is open, the Close button closes Sesame itself.

S3_close_button.png (Attachment deleted)

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Sesame 3
Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 2:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
What happened to "Save" button?  I use that when I want to save the record without advancing to new record!  It also ran the On Exit event programming. Sometime I needed to run the On Exit event programming before I printed out certain forms using command buttons on the form. I guess I will have to use "Save" command button on the form itself.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 3:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Jul 6th, 2011 at 2:56pm:
What happened to "Save" button?  I use that when I want to save the record without advancing to new record!  It also ran the On Exit event programming. Sometime I needed to run the On Exit event programming before I printed out certain forms using command buttons on the form. I guess I will have to use "Save" command button on the form itself.

The Save button you're talking about isn't for that. It is much more aggressive than that as it forces a full save of the entire database. People often ended up hiding that button because someone on a large database in a multiuser environment would keep clicking it and forcing everyone on the system to wait while the entire database wrote itself out to the hard drive. To do what you are describing, just click the Save Record button on the Button Menu.

If you need to make sure a particular bit of code runs in more than one place, put it in a subroutine in Global Code and call that subroutine from your command buttons and also from On Element Exit (if need be).

- Hammer
IP Logged

Amor
Members

No personal text

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 11:52am
Print Post Print Post  
Does Sesame 3 generate local export files?

Dr. med. Amor Belhareth&&Medizin Labor &&Germany

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 12:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Does Sesame 3 generate local export files?

Export is still a server-side operation. However, Sesame 3 does have a new SBasic command called TransferFileToClient(serverFilename as string, clientFilename as string) that transfers a file from the server to the client.

Edited:
BTW, there is also a new button on the Button Menu that does the same thing.
« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2011 at 3:34pm by Hammer »  

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame 3 - Quick Search
Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 12:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame 3 – Quick Search
Simple Search (which provides a weighted search-engine style search that looks in all your fields and returns the matching records in order of relevance) was so popular in Sesame 2 that we decided to put it right out on top. In Sesame 3, Quick Search is available in Add, Search and Update modes. It even lets you choose between getting a new result set and searching within the current records.

S3_quick_search.png (Attachment deleted)

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 2:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is really great. Since most of us like to hide the tree, having it in the open is definitely more usable. Thanks.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 3:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Jul 7th, 2011 at 2:34pm:
This is really great. Since most of us like to hide the tree, having it in the open is definitely more usable. Thanks.

Then you'll like that, about five minutes ago, Cow finished implementing a feature that optionally puts everything on the Tree/Button Menu onto a Commands menu up on the menu bar.  So, if you want, you can hide the command area to save screen real estate without taking away all the functionality it provides.

S3_command_menu.png (Attachment deleted)

- Hammer
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #12 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 2:55am
Print Post Print Post  
the new XResultSet commands will 'rock the house'!

Larry
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame 3 - INI File Editor
Reply #13 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 3:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame uses an ini file to control a whole slew of options. In Sesame 3, the Server Admin Window includes a place where you can edit these options from inside Sesame.

S3_ini_editor.png (Attachment deleted)

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame 3 - Reports
Reply #14 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 3:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark is sitting next to me right now implementing a command that allows a Sesame 3 report to hook directly to an ASCII file. So you can run reports against a hierarchical or custom export from Sesame. Or from a different package entirely. Or from a file that your customer emailed you. Or that you got off the internet. Etc. In case you can’t tell, I’m really excited about this!

- Hammer
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print