Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Can printing be speeded up? (Read 4541 times)
Rick_R

Re: Can printing be speeded up?
Reply #15 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 2:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
The reason for the error is you are using /Persistent:yes

That should be run once from the command line.  If you are putting it in a batch file, which I don't recommend, it should be /Persistent:no

For instance, we have a server running XP, with about 8 regular users and 15 machines.  XP can handle a maximum of around 10 machines accessing it. To access QA, my machine is set up with a batch file that maps a network drive, runs QA and then unmaps the drive.  But the batch file doesn't set up the printer (which, in my case, is a network printer).

IP Logged

magicfish

Reply #16 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 7:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
I get the same error message if I set it to Persistent:no.
I probably always got that message, but I didn't see it until I put a Pause in the bat file.
I got Q&A to print to the USB printer! I had to change the share name for the eth printer first, then change the share name of the USB printer to what the eth name had been. I had a little trouble printing to it from Sesame so I hooked it back up to the eth and I had change the share names back again and I still had to reboot before it would print to the eth again. I'll leave it like this for now until I can get a long enough USB cable to have both connected simultaneously. Then I will work on tweaking it. At least now I know it can be done.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #17 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 9:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just in case someone only reads the end of this thread ...

It isn't possible to print to a USB printer from QA under Win 7, whether directly or in XP Mode.  If the USB printer also has an Ethernet port, it can be set up as a network printer and accessed that way from QA but used directly as a USB printer from other programs.

IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #18 - Jul 5th, 2011 at 2:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
fwiw, one of our attached network printers is an HP OfficeJet 6300 all-in-one, and our accounting software takes FOREVER to print to it if the file is large (about 20 times as long to print to that printer versus a very old HP Series II laser printer that is also attached to a pocket print server).  I'm testing 'today' if changing that printer will speed up my posting times on customers with large amounts of data.  Will report on results.

Update:  the 'slow' issue had nothing to do with software or OS or printers.  It was a network cable gone bad.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2011 at 10:58pm by lksseven »  

Larry
IP Logged

magicfish

Reply #19 - Jul 5th, 2011 at 3:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm using the USB connection exclusively now as I am now completely weaned off Q&A. Printing from all other applications is much better now that I am not using the ethernet connection.
The only speed issue I have now is that when printing invoices from Sesame, it prints an invoice in about 4 seconds, pauses 4 or 5 seconds, prints an invoice in 4 seconds, pauses again for 4 or 5 seconds, etc. I haven't had the time to figure out how to fix this.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #20 - Jul 5th, 2011 at 4:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello magicfish,

One thing you can try is the SBasic commands NewDocument() and FinishDocument() so that the invoices are sent to the Printer as one 50 page document rather than 50 one page documents.

In GlobalCode add

Code
Select All
NewDocument(1) 

Then at the very bottom of your printing code add the following

Code
Select All
If @ResultSetTotal() = @ResultSetCurrentPosition() Then
{
	FinishDocument()
} 

-Ray