Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sesame Nightly Backup procedure (Read 7892 times)
Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Re: Sesame Nightly Backup procedure
Reply #30 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 3:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Perhaps because of my Windows 'up-bringing', I'm a firm beleiver of 'rebooting often'. Hopefully, I can leave the Linux server running more often, but I do see a need to reboot every few days, at least.

My biggest reason; After loading,unloading, and designing my largest aps, The sesame Terminal windows shows this error message: "Warning! File buffer allocation is greater than half of available memory."

At this point, I observe loading times slow down dramatically (perhaps the memory is swapping). Rebooting the machine has always fixed this issue.

So, my concern; after using the '-command' option, I can no longer get a graceful shutdown when I use 'stop this server' option from within the admin panel.

Perhaps there is a better method for shutting down the server?

Steve

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #31 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 3:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
FYI, when I use 'stop this server' button, many of my aps are still loaded in the server.

I can try to unload the aps before stopping the server, but the reason for this thread was to make a backup while users are in the database.

Many thanks!

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #32 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 3:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
You should almost never reboot a Unix box. I have had boxes that have up-times measured in years. It is much better about memory management than Windows.

The loading message is caused by the new application loader. Instead of reading the file in a bit at a time, it reads the whole file in one big chunk and then parses that out to the final in memory structure and deallocates the big chunk. So, temporarily it needs twice as much memory. If there is not enough memory, it will revert to the older load. That message means that it will use the older load, which should only affect the speed of loading applications, not general run speed.

You should not reboot your server computer because you are backing up Sesame files. In general, on Unix, the only reason to shutdown the box is when you get a kernel update, the room is on fire, or you simply want to save electricity.

You can shutdown Sesame using the same command interface you are using to suspend and resume.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #33 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 3:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark, good to know that Linux does not need frequent shutdowns. I'll revise my thinking.

Yes, the slowdown is only on load times. Sesame still runs at blazing speeds once it gets the ap loaded! Smiley

Also, nice to know the warning message I'm seeing is nothing urgent.

I'll leave sesame running 24/7 and not worry about all the 'clients' that will stack up in the admin panel during the backup routines.

Sincerely,
Steve

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #34 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 5:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Steve,

I also just tried this on my Linux box and am unable to reproduce the clients stacking up in the admin panel. Can you send me your Sesame.ini file in case there is something in there that I need?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #35 - Apr 12th, 2011 at 5:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Will do.