Normal Topic Any good image virtual printers for Win 7? (Read 2262 times)
Rick_R

Any good image virtual printers for Win 7?
Apr 2nd, 2011 at 4:47am
Print Post Print Post  
Does anyone know of a good image virtual printers for Windows 7? (Preferably free ...)

I use Gnostice Print2eDoc in Win XP and it works great. Basically, when I buy things over the Internet, I save the email or page invoice as a PDF file, then I print that to a jpg file so I can attach it to an entry in Quicken. However, Vista/Windows 7 changed the print system to be an administrator-level process.  Although Print2eDoc, Virtual Image Printer, and several others I have tried still can be made to work, when you print suddenly the screen goes black and Win 7 pops up a security screen saying a dialog is trying to interact, blah, blah, blah.

I'm primarily interested in outputting either jpg or GIF, since some documents have more than 255 colors and a lot of applications won't take TIFF (or the TIFF comes out quite large.)

(In a way, this can be related to Sesame--Sesame can't view PDF's, etc., directly, but if a document can be converted to images, those could be displayed directly in Sesame.  I'm not trying to do that, but having that capability would make this "not off in the weeds.")

Since it's a personal application only used occasionally, I'd really prefer not to spend $30+, which is what the commercial/shareware packages are going for.

IP Logged

Ben
Lantica Support

Re: Any good image virtual printers for Win 7?
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 7:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Rick_R,

Did Gnostice Print2eDoc install a printer driver or is it an application that "intercepts" what is sent to the printer?

If it is a standalone application, you should be able to track down the executable file on your machine and set it to run with administrative privileges.  To do this, follow the steps below.

1) Find the executable
2) Right click on the executable
3) Select 'Properties'
4) Go to the 'Compatibility' tab
5) Check the box labeled 'Run this program as an Administrator' in the 'Privilege Level' section
6) Click 'Apply'
7) Click 'OK'

** You should now be able to use your printing utility without being prompted for permission.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 9:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
It installs a virtual printer.  I tried looking for compatibility mode but there is no way to set compatibility mode for dll's.

Also, there is some more bad news regarding this.  I spent a good part of last weekend trying out pretty much everything under $50.  The only program I could get to work halfway decent was Free Image Printer.  But it has no way to set defaults for the parameters.  It defaults to BMP at the screen resolution.  So if you want to save in any other format, for each printing you have to click or fill out about eight items.  I didn't try to see what happens with a multi-page document.  (Gnostice just automatically prints multiple images.)

Most of the other programs I found, even the paid ones, offer almost no variation on parameters (dpi, etc.).

I have UAC turned off, so I don't normally get such warnings.  The problem with Gnostice (Acrobat 6, and various other virtual printer programs) is that when the Save As dialog opens Vista/Win 7 intercepts that and starts popping up additional dialogs.  Although it is workable it's a pain.

From what I can see, this will probably be the easiest way under Win 7: The GIMP can be set to run from the command line.  Print to a standard format such as PDF.  Then have a batch file that tells The GIMP to open that file with specified parameters and save each image.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 4:01am
Print Post Print Post  
Hey Rick. If you don't mind saving in PDF format, you can use the free 'virtual printer' called BioPDF.

Sesame can send the print job, as well as the file name and location to save, and a few other commands. Sesame can then store only the filename in the record and pop open the PDF in adobe acrobat with the push of a command button.

Steve

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 4:50am
Print Post Print Post  
I already have several PDF virtual printers. On my laptop I ran into this problem with Acrobat 6 under Vista so I installed DoPDF for that.

I am mainly converting two types of documents: either email invoices or PDF's (generally of receipts).  I use Quicken, which allows "attaching" an image file to an entry (for instance, I download check images from my bank) but it only allows certain file types and PDF isn't one of them.  I could print to PDF (which I very frequently do--I keep a PDF copy and sometimes a jpg) and then use Paint Shop Pro to open the PDF and then save it as an image.  But the latest version of Paint Shop Pro takes over a gigabyte of disk space, it loads fairly slow even on my new motherboard with 4GB RAM and a dual-core 3GHz processor and a 1.5TB SATA 2 drive partitioned for speed, and it loads multi-page PDFs slow. (I'll start a thread re "partition for speed".)

I'm really extremely surprised--and quite annoyed--that there seems to be nothing on the market at a reasonable price that actually works fairly well.  It's just not that odd a task--"save a document / web page / whatever as an image".

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 8:22am
Print Post Print Post  
Well, this has become academic -- I just found out that the new version of Quicken will let me attach a PDF.  Since I normally save the documents in PDF that eliminates the need to then convert the PDF to JPG.

IP Logged